HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 7:56 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Not to be a d%ck but I don't give a damn about Conshy.
__________________
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:39 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Not to be a d%ck but I don't give a damn about Conshy.
I almost posted something similar (until I saw that you already had it covered).

Mid-rise suburban office towers don't do much for me (especially in a place like Conshy that already has a bunch of them). Nothing against Conshy (or K of P, Cherry Hill, etc.) and the 'burbs, but it's not what distinguishes Northeastern cities and makes them special, in my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:16 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
For a lot of people (and businesses) who don't appreciate all that the big city has to offer, Conshy is a viable, walkable, urban alternative. It's very different from KoP, Cherry Hill, etc. and is arguably more urban than Dallas, Phoenix, and many other sunbelt cities (hope this doesn't lead to city vs city).

Not at the expense of Philadelphia, but I'd love to see Conshy grow into a genuine satellite city in the same category as White Plains, NY, for example.

Why be stuck up?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:37 PM
cubanChris cubanChris is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Center City - Phil-a-delphia
Posts: 347
I don't have time at the moment to grab all of the images, but for those interested in the CHOP presentation with accompanying renders it is here:

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs...irs/schuylkil-community-presentation.pdf

Page 14 has a detailed rendering of the phase 1 facade that looks really nice (though helped by the sunset colors they added in).

All of it seems pretty amazing to me, except I really think they should carve out the space for a real restaurant/bar turned toward the river & promenade (page 12& 20) to take advantage of the views and space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
For a lot of people (and businesses) who don't appreciate all that the big city has to offer, Conshy is a viable, walkable, urban alternative. It's very different from KoP, Cherry Hill, etc. and is arguably more urban than Dallas, Phoenix, and many other sunbelt cities (hope this doesn't lead to city vs city).

Not at the expense of Philadelphia, but I'd love to see Conshy grow into a genuine satellite city in the same category as White Plains, NY, for example.

Why be stuck up?
Wasn't trying to come across as stuck up. I just want to keep this thread city proper-centric. Don't get me wrong, without Summer I'd be a sad and lonely man. I just could give a rat's 🞵🞵🞵 about Conshy. Philly is my town.
__________________
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Wasn't trying to come across as stuck up. I just want to keep this thread city proper-centric. Don't get me wrong, without Summer I'd be a sad and lonely man. I just could give a rat's 🞵🞵🞵 about Conshy. Philly is my town.
I agree with not giving a flying fudge about Conshy, but Conshy's development has a sizable impact on Philly, so I think developments as big as this one are noteworthy for us Philly-philes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:40 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
I agree with not giving a flying fudge about Conshy, but Conshy's development has a sizable impact on Philly, so I think developments as big as this one are noteworthy for us Philly-philes.
I agree, and like PhiLaw, I wasn't trying to be stuck up. And I DO appreciate all that Summer (and others) post here, including the suburban stuff. It's just that to me, suburban office development is fairly generic, and happens in virtually every city in the US. And what excites me about Philly and this forum are the things that help to distinguish Philly from other cities in the country and the world, and not blend in with them (not that Conshy development will do that, but it's still kind of generic).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:05 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Not to be a d%ck but I don't give a damn about Conshy.
Well that's good for you, but next time keep your rude attitude to yourself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:40 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Well that's good for you, but next time keep your rude attitude to yourself.
Not sure why Conshy development would provoke such a response. If its not your thing then why not simply ignore it?

Thanks for the CHOP pdf Cuban Chris.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 1:38 AM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Well that's good for you, but next time keep your rude attitude to yourself.
I of all people have anything but a rude attitude. My comment still stands.

You just showed your age. So much for anonymity on the internet.

Last I'll post on the topic.
__________________
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 1:58 AM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
I don't have time at the moment to grab all of the images, but for those interested in the CHOP presentation with accompanying renders it is here:

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs...irs/schuylkil-community-presentation.pdf

Page 14 has a detailed rendering of the phase 1 facade that looks really nice (though helped by the sunset colors they added in).

All of it seems pretty amazing to me, except I really think they should carve out the space for a real restaurant/bar turned toward the river & promenade (page 12& 20) to take advantage of the views and space.
From what I understand CHOP leases space in the Wanamaker building. Will they be moving out over to here does anyone know?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:23 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
Thumbs up Thank You

Summers, thank you very much for what you've done, and what you do. Nice job with the new thread. It is much appreciated.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:04 AM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Not to be a d%ck but I don't give a damn about Conshy.
I am sorry you feel this way, as a majority of Conshy is arguably more urban than a few parts of the city and contrary to popular belief, there is indeed a world outside of Philly's city limits. I think it is also nice to know what is going on in the metro, and we have had numerous forumers over the years encourage these types of posts in this thread. I could see if little projects were constantly being posted and this thread was getting hijacked, but this project is quite big and that is far from the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan
I agree, and like PhiLaw, I wasn't trying to be stuck up. And I DO appreciate all that Summer (and others) post here, including the suburban stuff. It's just that to me, suburban office development is fairly generic, and happens in virtually every city in the US. And what excites me about Philly and this forum are the things that help to distinguish Philly from other cities in the country and the world, and not blend in with them (not that Conshy development will do that, but it's still kind of generic).
Yeah suburban projects can't be nearly as cool as these city projects. You know, just like this one, which is not generic at all and helps to make Philly look totally different than the rest of the country:

75 townhouses approved for Philly's Queen Village

http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds...approved_for_Phillys_Queen_Village_.html
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:21 AM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
The upside to office development in Conshy as opposed to KOP is that it is accessible by train. Someone could live in Center City and just take the train out everyday instead of pulling their hair out on the Schuylkill. I too wish that all jobs landed in Center City but this is never going to be the case, so if they don't at least make them accessible by transit.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."

Last edited by Parkway; Dec 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 4:53 AM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Yeah suburban projects can't be nearly as cool as these city projects. You know, just like this one, which is not generic at all and helps to make Philly look totally different than the rest of the country:

75 townhouses approved for Philly's Queen Village

http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds...approved_for_Phillys_Queen_Village_.html
I wasn't talking about individual projects (obviously), but rather about Philly's unique urban neighborhoods and environment, versus the generic suburban office nodes represented by a place like Conshy. And one word I would NOT use to describe Conshy is "urban," at least not in any serious sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:14 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Keep your opinions to yourself, Conshy-haters. There are other threads on this forum that are city and region (Salt Lake's for example) so I see no problem with posting regional developments here.

My caveat is that projects posted must be urban. So no strip malls and subdivisions, but this project is fine:

http://lansdale.patch.com/groups/politic...evelopment-parking-garage-not-guaranteed


(This is a condo proposal in downtown Lansdale, right next to the train station (to right) and Main Street (below).)
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:34 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
The upside to office development in Conshy as opposed to KOP is that it is accessible by train. Someone could live in Center City and just take the train out everyday instead of pulling their hair out on the Schuylkill. I too wish that all jobs landed in Center City but this is never going to be the case, so if they don't at least make them accessible to transit.
This is exactly what I was going to say. If some jobs etc have to be outside the city then so be it, at least conshy is a mini urban spot with train access.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:25 PM
MSFHQ MSFHQ is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 179
I like Philly but the one thing Conshy has going for it is the lack of the 4% wage tax. Philly is cool, but not worth 4% IMO.


My buddy lives in Conshy, nice to see further development there. Thanks Summer!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:37 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Keep your opinions to yourself, Conshy-haters.
No Conshy-hating here. I actually spend a lot of time in Conshy (when not in Philly), and like the way it's developing. Just never got excited by suburban office development in any of the many cities in which I've lived or visited since graduating form college more than 3 decades ago, but certainly don't resent or hate them. Maybe it's because I grew up in the suburbs (and was always excited by cities).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:18 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Summers, thank you very much for what you've done, and what you do. Nice job with the new thread. It is much appreciated.
You are quite welcome. I enjoy doing it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.