HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5001  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I don't know exactly what the proposed changes are but this could have a major impact on the development appeal of Downtown Dartmouth.

Public Information Meeting - Case 18783
Mon, January 13, 2014, 7pm – 9pm
Alderney Gate Public Library, 60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS, Canada (Helen Creighton Room)

Case 18783 HRM initiated review of the Downtown Dartmouth MPS and LUB to consider amendments to policies and standards regarding building height, form and design within the Downtown Business and Waterfront Designations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5002  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:59 AM
MeEtc MeEtc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Is it gonna be like this forever?
Until the federal government has some spare money to invest in theor own property, or the stones start falling to the street again, its going to stay like this indefinitely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5003  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:11 PM
mcmcclassic's Avatar
mcmcclassic mcmcclassic is offline
BUILD!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 432
There is a sign up at the intersection of Windmill and Victoria Rd. for this (sorry about the large image):



I assume this would replace the lighting place that is currently there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5004  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 9:41 PM
TheOldskoo TheOldskoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
There is a sign up at the intersection of Windmill and Victoria Rd. for this (sorry about the large image):



I assume this would replace the lighting place that is currently there.
Long time lurker, when I saw this, I figured now is better than any time to register.

This is actually a rebranding of the lighting store and the kitchen showroom within it, and expansion of the already existing building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5005  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
^Welcome to the forum TheOldSkoo.

For anyone unfamiliar with the site it's on Windmill Road directly across from the iron manufacturing site (at Victoria Road). It's former Fire Station #12 (now on Highfield Dr).

Not much can be expected in this area so simply having a modern building is great in my mind.

Hopefully HRM gets off it's lazy bum and extends the sidewalk up to the intersection, and widens Windmill Road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5006  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:40 AM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
wrong thread
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5007  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:14 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I don't know exactly what the proposed changes are but this could have a major impact on the development appeal of Downtown Dartmouth.

Public Information Meeting - Case 18783
Mon, January 13, 2014, 7pm – 9pm
Alderney Gate Public Library, 60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS, Canada (Helen Creighton Room)

Case 18783 HRM initiated review of the Downtown Dartmouth MPS and LUB to consider amendments to policies and standards regarding building height, form and design within the Downtown Business and Waterfront Designations.
I would guess that this is the next stage of the height rules for Downtown Dartmouth until the Regional Centre Plan is done. If everyone recalls, the first step came with the changes to the downtown viewplanes. Since most of Dartmouth was impacted by the brightwood viewplane; there wasn't much of a height concern. Now that the viewplane is gone and the other viewplanes have been updated/amended - there needs to be some rules for height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5008  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 1:21 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
glad to hear the lighting store is staying, it's a great store
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5009  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:12 PM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Is it gonna be like this forever?
"Forever" for the 60-year old Ralston Building is probably something like two to three years. The current tenant has already called tenders for a new building for occupancy in 2015. I've been told by an official within Public Works that the land at 1557 Hollis is likely worth more with the Ralston demolished than with the building still standing. The structure's concrete cladding and the anchoring system that holds it in place needs to be completely replaced at a cost of several millions of dollars.

The Ralston is hardly a beauty, though it does have a certain 1950's early Soviet aesthetic that's kind of interesting. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a "good example of early modern design", by architect A.F. Duffus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5010  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:54 PM
mcmcclassic's Avatar
mcmcclassic mcmcclassic is offline
BUILD!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
"Forever" for the 60-year old Ralston Building is probably something like two to three years. The current tenant has already called tenders for a new building for occupancy in 2015. I've been told by an official within Public Works that the land at 1557 Hollis is likely worth more with the Ralston demolished than with the building still standing. The structure's concrete cladding and the anchoring system that holds it in place needs to be completely replaced at a cost of several millions of dollars.

The Ralston is hardly a beauty, though it does have a certain 1950's early Soviet aesthetic that's kind of interesting. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a "good example of early modern design", by architect A.F. Duffus.
I don't know how many thousands of dollars of material I have sold contractors that work on the Ralston over the years...

The contractors all say the building is hell to work on and should just be demolished.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5011  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 3:19 PM
teddifax's Avatar
teddifax teddifax is offline
Halifax Promoter!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,115
I think this building has been under renovation for at least 10 years, at least it feels like it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5012  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:14 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I don't know how many thousands of dollars of material I have sold contractors that work on the Ralston over the years...

The contractors all say the building is hell to work on and should just be demolished.
I've heard people on construction/contracting say similar things about the Dennis Building. But just because a structure has been badly maintained doesn't mean it isn't worth saving--what both of these buildings need is a proper, full overhaul. Unfortunately, that would cost more than the measly patchwork renovations governments tend to spend on their non-marquee buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5013  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:10 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Today's been a mixed day of good and bad so hopefully this will turn the attitudes back towards optimism.

BIRD CONSTRUCTION will be constructing the Armoury Expansion on North Park Street. The new armoury will be 2 floors / 118'000 sq ft and fill in the southern portion of the property. Construction will start next fall with construction wrapping up in 2016.

Source : "Bird Construction Wins Big Armoury Job" (December 17th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5014  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 11:55 AM
RevenueRealty RevenueRealty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree that it would be a great addition to Halifax. A lot of cities have zoos, well, an aquarium is just another version of a zoo for seafaring creatures, which would be a fitting focus for a coastal city such as Halifax.

I see a dual purpose as both a tourist attraction and an educational/research facility for locals. As a bonus, an aquarium would allow our children to appreciate sea life for more than what we see on our dinnerplate, and thus encourages an enlightened view of our oceans and the associated environmental struggles within (you can't put a price on that).

Last time I was in Monterey, I had to go to to the aquarium 2 days in a row as I couldn't get enough of it. If we could have anything close to this in Halifax I think it would be an attraction that people would come for miles to see.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/
It's easy to have a great aquarium like Monterey when you have HP hollers behind you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5015  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:39 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenueRealty View Post
It's easy to have a great aquarium like Monterey when you have HP hollers behind you.
HP hollers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5016  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:16 PM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 247
I agree, an aquarium would fit in nicely near BIO. Considering the clout it has in the oceanographic community it could be something special.

Years ago someone had a thread about it, i think it was hijacked or just full of holes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5017  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:09 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Halifax Regional School Board maintenance building at Bayers and Connaught came down today. I wonder if development would be limited by the widening project and it's proximity to such a busy intersection, current design standards would probably greatly limit driveway access to that site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5018  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Halifax Regional School Board maintenance building at Bayers and Connaught came down today. I wonder if development would be limited by the widening project and it's proximity to such a busy intersection, current design standards would probably greatly limit driveway access to that site.
When you say "came down" what do you mean? As in, literally, the building was demolished?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5019  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:09 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
When you say "came down" what do you mean? As in, literally, the building was demolished?
Yes, a couple excavators demolished the section closest to the intersection, another part looked to be still intact, not sure if that's next or not. I should have been clearer, but I was trying to post that from a waiting room down in Bridgewater on my phone, every time I went to post I lost my connection. So each re-write got shorter and vaguer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5020  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
counterfactual counterfactual is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Yes, a couple excavators demolished the section closest to the intersection, another part looked to be still intact, not sure if that's next or not. I should have been clearer, but I was trying to post that from a waiting room down in Bridgewater on my phone, every time I went to post I lost my connection. So each re-write got shorter and vaguer.
No problem. What is the demolition for? Bayers expansion? I thought that had yet to be decided by Council...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.