HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #461  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:02 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Awesome! And so far, very impressed with the design. A far cry from his past work.

Questions for the group:

1. How does this affect his proposed tower on the Schuykill Banks (23rd?)? What is the status of that project? Still in a tug-o-war with zoning and NIMBYs over the parking/height bonus issue? I wonder if he can build both at the same time. Obviously, I'd rather have SLS Int'l.

2. Who can make a rendering of how this tower will look against the skyline? The height and relative isolation will definitely make it stand out.

EDIT: Looking on Googlemaps/Streetview to see what this tower will replace makes me even more excited.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #462  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:28 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
2. Who can make a rendering of how this tower will look against the skyline? The height and relative isolation will definitely make it stand out.


http://hiddencityphila.org/2013/11/phila...40-story-hotel-condo-in-at-broad-spruce/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #463  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:05 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
I thought there was a thread for this project. I guess not. 562 feet is an awesome height for where this will be located. Clearly visible on our skyline. Hopefully it starts a trend in wanting to build high along Broad, extending the skyline south.
Quote:
The project "is as much a key to the city's growth as the Four Seasons was to the area west of Broad Street. It will become a catalyst for future development," said Kohn, who said he considers this his legacy to the city.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds...for_South_Broad.html#VpFA3O8QXqvCUwwK.99
I love hearing that. Only hope its true.


I have faith that Dranoff gets this done and it quick amount of time. Hopefully city council is willing to work with him quickly.

Though a very ugly building, has "Sympathy House" been a financial success?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #464  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:17 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Though a very ugly building, has "Sympathy House" been a financial success?
Pretty sure it was wild success. Makes sense to move there: living in it prevents you from looking out onto it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #465  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:39 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I thought there was a thread for this project. I guess not. 562 feet is an awesome height for where this will be located. Clearly visible on our skyline. Hopefully it starts a trend in wanting to build high along Broad, extending the skyline south. I love hearing that. Only hope its true.


I have faith that Dranoff gets this done and it quick amount of time. Hopefully city council is willing to work with him quickly.

Though a very ugly building, has "Sympathy House" been a financial success?
hmm

I don't get why everyone says symphony house is ugly

i think it's cool looking... i love that miami-esque stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #466  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:00 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
Since I had some time to kill. Here is my rough renderings of this new proposal, (please ignore the obvious unexisting buildings.)







Obviously I think the building may be skinnier than that but that is 565' in that area, so it is a really good new building because it stretches the skyline outwards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #467  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:08 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Since this is going to block my view of the PNB building and Billy Penn from my South Philly roofdeck, I'm obviously going to have to sue. ; )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #468  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:55 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Questions for the group:

1. How does this affect his proposed tower on the Schuykill Banks (23rd?)? What is the status of that project? Still in a tug-o-war with zoning and NIMBYs over the parking/height bonus issue? I wonder if he can build both at the same time. Obviously, I'd rather have SLS Int'l.
One Riverside is rental apartments. This project is a hotel and condo units. Two different projects entirely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #469  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:56 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Here is a larger rendering of Dranoff's new South Broad tower.

I like the tower design but the base of the tower is meh...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #470  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:09 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I like the tower design but the base of the tower is meh...
Eh. I assume it's to mirror the scope and texture of the Kimmel Center across the street. It could be much worse. Pretty darn impressed overall, given the developer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #471  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:16 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
One Riverside is rental apartments. This project is a hotel and condo units. Two different projects entirely.
Right...but can he get financing for both projects? If Dranoff can simultaneously build two major projects, then god bless him. It's not an easy feat, that's for sure. I'm certainly rooting for him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #472  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:33 PM
theSisko theSisko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48
It appears Comcast is now going for the jugular.....

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #473  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:01 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Eh. I assume it's to mirror the scope and texture of the Kimmel Center across the street. It could be much worse. Pretty darn impressed overall, given the developer.
Remember there is invariably a huge gulf between render and final product in this city. Once those labor bills start coming in, value engineering inevitably follows. Look at 1900 Arch. I love the design and remain optimistic, but you have to have a small shade of jade with these developments.
__________________
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #474  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:37 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
The difference between this and 1900 Arch is the product. Dranoff's building is high-end condos where as 1900 is rental apartments. Symphony House looked like the renderings with the exception of the color.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #475  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:54 PM
cubanChris cubanChris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Center City - Phil-a-delphia
Posts: 347
Oh I really like the base.

That double height ballroom space does have a glass ceiling it is going to be something special for all those that get to go to events there.

I'm really impressed by the whole thing, base, tower and otherwise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #476  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:01 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
I wish they would add a crown that would make it go up to 600' but thats pushing it. Honestly a good looking tower is what is perfect regardless the height, but then getting a 800' tower and its ugly is the contrary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #477  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:30 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #478  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:37 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Sunoco will move 120 workers OUT of Center City

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...unoco-to-move-hq-out-of-center-city.html



Something has got to be done about this in City Council. They can't get 🞵🞵🞵🞵 done in this city. WE NEED NEW BUSINESS TAXES!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #479  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:43 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Four Seasons to go into new Comcast Tower?

Quote:
Rumblings that the Four Seasons in Philadelphia might be changing its flag have ramped up in recent weeks.

Multiple sources, however, have indicated the hotel is looking at potentially switching locations within Center City and some speculate that it could be at a new tower that would eventually be constructed for Comcast Corp. Nothing like a high-end hotel to round out a shiny new office tower.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...s-four-seasons-going-to-change-flag.html

I could see Four Seasons going into a new Comcast Tower or into the new tower that Toll Brothers will build on the empty lot in Rittenhouse Square. Either way this could see a new hotel taking over this space along the Parkway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #480  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:58 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
It looks 600' from that rendering. Good to hear some news that a hotel could maybe be incorperated into the comcast tower, maybe thats why they waited? And had to redesign or reformat the tower?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.