HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 2:29 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 617
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 2:52 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Synagogue, schools join against Blatstein's proposed casino

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201312...Provence_Casino.html#pCdI2LcPu4JUDJOX.99

*****************

City ups aggressive tactics in fighting blight with CLIP bill

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201312..._with_CLIP_bill.html#boFDxkbj51JHJ4hk.99
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:41 PM
relnahe's Avatar
relnahe relnahe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 978
How are those townhomes "cookie cutter"? I guess they would prefer the utter suburban garbage that scarred the neighborhood that is directly north of this. That neighborhood should be learning from Northern Liberties, not Graduate Hospital on how to reconstruct a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 4:36 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Best Western closes to make way for Rodin Square. Demo should be happening soon:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/logan-square/best-western-closes-whole-foods-coming-soonish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:35 AM
mdsayh1 mdsayh1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NewYork, San Francisco
Posts: 63
Rodin is a hugely exciting project. Between this and the Grainery this area is completely altering its profile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:38 AM
PHI215skyline PHI215skyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Red face

I was a little discouraged to hear this past week from a friend with some loose connections to someone at Comcast, that indeed, two new towers are coming...but the bad news was that he said NEITHER of them were supposed to exceed the height of the current Comcast tower.

I was bummed to say least. Technologically advanced and significant yes, super tallish.....doesn't seem likely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:08 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI215skyline View Post
I was a little discouraged to hear this past week from a friend with some loose connections to someone at Comcast, that indeed, two new towers are coming...but the bad news was that he said NEITHER of them were supposed to exceed the height of the current Comcast tower.

I was bummed to say least. Technologically advanced and significant yes, super tallish.....doesn't seem likely.
I personally know someone at Liberty Property Trust who said the building would be big.

Also, it was heard from an insider that Norman Foster was designing a building 200-300 feet taller than Comcast.

I guess we'll see.

I must say, usually I don't care for height, but this would be a huge disappointment if one tower did not end up being a Supertall. This may be Philly's last chance for a LONG time to get a Supertall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:09 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsayh1 View Post
Rodin is a hugely exciting project. Between this and the Grainery this area is completely altering its profile.
And Museum Towers II! A lot of projects going on in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:34 AM
PHI215skyline PHI215skyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I personally know someone at Liberty Property Trust who said the building would be big.

Also, it was heard from an insider that Norman Foster was designing a building 200-300 feet taller than Comcast.

I guess we'll see.

I must say, usually I don't care for height, but this would be a huge disappointment if one tower did not end up being a Supertall. This may be Philly's last chance for a LONG time to get a Supertall.

I agree. At this point, no one else in town has the capital, significance, national stature, or quite frankly, the balls to build something supertall except for Comcast. I'm hoping it was bad info and they can please all of us development and skyscraper junkies with something that will really put us on the map.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:48 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
How are those townhomes "cookie cutter"? I guess they would prefer the utter suburban garbage that scarred the neighborhood that is directly north of this. That neighborhood should be learning from Northern Liberties, not Graduate Hospital on how to reconstruct a neighborhood.
It's an interesting quote from the article. While I do agree that this project looks "cookie cutter", it doesn't seem to resemble anything like what's going up in NoLibs, which I would argue is where you'll find the most concentrated collection of modern, avant garde architecture. The Drivet exterior reminds me of SouthStar and Homes2Suites. Still, it's definitely a big plus over what's there now.

Great news about a new potential 1706. I personally think the design is only so-so. But it's of little consequence when the building is comprised entirely of millionaires who contribute $$$ to the city's coffers. That Philadelphia can support another ultra high end tower like that is encouraging.

Re Comcast, I agree w/ Summer. I'm much more concerned about design, jobs, and the street. On one hand, two towers = two empty/parking lots off the grid. On the other hand, a supertall is a rare feat that only comes around every so often. In the past few years, how many 1000+ towers have been constructed in the US?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:53 PM
theSisko theSisko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I personally know someone at Liberty Property Trust who said the building would be big.

Also, it was heard from an insider that Norman Foster was designing a building 200-300 feet taller than Comcast.

I guess we'll see.

I must say, usually I don't care for height, but this would be a huge disappointment if one tower did not end up being a Supertall. This may be Philly's last chance for a LONG time to get a Supertall.

Summersm, based on what you have heard thru your contacts, when is the best time YOU anticipate Comcast/Liberty coming out with this announcement? I remember you once saying you thought we would hear something about the time construction would begin on the FMC Tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:47 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSisko View Post
Summersm, based on what you have heard thru your contacts, when is the best time YOU anticipate Comcast/Liberty coming out with this announcement? I remember you once saying you thought we would hear something about the time construction would begin on the FMC Tower.
Probably won't hear anything until next year. Maybe Spring or Summer-ish? I can keep you updated if I hear anything concrete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:28 PM
theSisko theSisko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Probably won't hear anything until next year. Maybe Spring or Summer-ish? I can keep you updated if I hear anything concrete.

I appreciate that very much young fella!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 6:27 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
Prep for Hill College House looks to have begun. Tree removal , equipment on site, fencing is up.

Pillars already rising over at Lancaster Square.

3601 Market seems to be in full go mode.

38th Chestnut demolition has picked up quite a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 6:32 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
Quote:
In the past few years, how many 1000+ towers have been constructed in the US?
Since I am bored... One57 and One WTC are the 2 that have reached the height since Trump and BOA Tower did it in 2009.

Though it has become more and more common internationally, in the US there are only 5 cities that have supertalls. NYC, CHI and Houston have multiple of course. LA will join those 2 in the coming years. Atlanta and Houston having a supertall and not Philly is kind of irking me, tbh. Even SanFran and Miami have supertalls in the pipeline.

Philly has a very notable skyline, but a supertall would make it even more world renowned.

Comcast may be the only chance in the next 5 years or so, but Philly is once again going verticle and population trends will continue to support that. With the theme of many supertalls going to the residential side, there is a little hope down the road. Of course Nimby's would be a huge issue.


What could have been...

Last edited by Flyers2001; Dec 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM. Reason: updated due to supertall height
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
/\
I am glad that didn't happen actually, as that looks a bit out of place to me.


Hotel proposed near a casino site

LAST UPDATED: Monday, December 16, 2013, 4:54 PM

PHL Local Gaming L.L.C., which wants to build Casino Revolution at Front Street and Packer Avenue in South Philadelphia, said a New York hotel developer, Fortuna Realty Group, had signed a letter of intent build a 250-room, "four-star" hotel in a development proposed for land adjacent to where the casino would go, if PHL Local receives the license next year.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/philad...r_a_casino_site.html#ljoWGo2ZFfxaHWpv.99

*****************

Why Philly's Land Bank creates a fantastic opportunity for the City

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds...an_opportunity_.html#D12yuFQzRe5gpV6M.99

*****************

Too-tall townhomes to be jacked up to lop off 22 inches

KELLIE PATRICK GATES , PLANPHILLY
LAST UPDATED: Monday, December 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

Neighbors complained, L&I measured. The in-the-works Constitution Court townhouses at 3rd and Reed in South Philadelphia are about 22 inches taller than the variance granted to developer and former Philadelphia jeweler-to-the-stars Barry Sable.

“We shut them down,” said L&I spokeswoman Rebecca Swanson.

To meet L&I's demand that the Pennsport structure shrink to the 43-feet, one-and-a-half inches the variance says is the max and get building again, Sable intends to lift the house with a technique used to raise houses at the Shore above storm surge, Swanson said. But instead of making the structure taller, “they will lift it up, chop off 22 inches, and put it back down on the foundation,” she said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/classifieds...p_off_22-inches.html#vwTmeg5Oec5l2rT1.99
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today and it ain't civilized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:08 AM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
/\
I am glad that didn't happen actually, as that looks a bit out of place to me.
That's because it is

Acc was to go up between Comcast and Verizon towers blocking IBX

That rendering puts it at 19th and Chestnut aprox....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:16 AM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
That's because it is

Acc was to go up between Comcast and Verizon towers blocking IBX

That rendering puts it at 19th and Chestnut aprox....
Yes, I was not going for the exact building/location but for the thought of a game changing skyscraper in Philly. ACC would have been among the World's tallest and very well designed at least from the initial renderings imo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 9:49 AM
bucks native's Avatar
bucks native bucks native is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NEPA Valley
Posts: 1,300
it's a GO

300 block of S. Broad, across from Kimmel Center, 47 floors, 565 ft.

details here with render: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20131217_47-story_hotel_condo_building_set_for_South_Broad.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #460  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 12:35 PM
Aaamazarite's Avatar
Aaamazarite Aaamazarite is offline
Cory Trevor Leahy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wash West
Posts: 617
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.