Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanuck
I agree. I believe that all of the major bridges in the lower mainland should have a toll of $1. For the majority of them, it would be reinstating tolls.
And by major I refer to: Lion's Gate, Ironworkers Memorial, Arthur Laing, Oak Street, Knight Street, Massey Tunnel, Alex Fraser, Queensborough, Patullo and Pitt River.
Of those bridges, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe only the Alex Fraser and Arthur Laing have never had tolls previously. I know for a fact that the Alex Fraser never has.
|
I think getting every regional and governmental entity involved to agree to tolling on every bridge in the Lower Mainland would be like herding cats, and also a political poison pill.
I would definitely support it if, say, it was $1 during rush hour and $.50 or $.25 when not during peak hours (or variable depending on the volume on the bridge).
The problem is the tolling quickly becomes an excuse to bilk people out of money, rather than actually solve congestion.
I would enthusiastically support a toll on the contemplated H99 connector (which was proposed alongside the SFPR) as a high speed route for commuters rather than trucks through Surrey between Highway 1 and 99.