HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #361  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
I am glad to hear the Gallery makeover is real and picking up steam.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #362  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:56 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Originally posted by the WSJ, picked up by Yahoo Finance.

Suburban-centered companies having trouble recruiting/competing with urban-centered counterparts.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/companies-goodbye-burbs-004800326.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #363  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:10 PM
Pennsgrant Pennsgrant is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 818
38 Chestnut

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #364  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:38 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
source: http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/04/real_estate/chinese-homebuyers/?google_editors_picks=true

Top 10 U.S. cities for Chinese homebuyers

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Philadelphia
I'm a bit mad/disappointed at this just because I like the relatively cheap real estate here (especially center city).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #365  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:41 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
No. It will be office space.
I suppose you probably know more than I do, but they're definitely kicking out the stock exchange, and they've been trying to get rid of Cozen for years (they've had extremely favorable rent terms). What I heard is they want to put a pool in the basement, so I assumed it was going residential. Maybe they just want a gym for the office workers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #366  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 8:31 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I suppose you probably know more than I do, but they're definitely kicking out the stock exchange, and they've been trying to get rid of Cozen for years (they've had extremely favorable rent terms). What I heard is they want to put a pool in the basement, so I assumed it was going residential. Maybe they just want a gym for the office workers?
Probably a gym for office workers. I don't know anyone from Brandywine well but I personally know someone from Liberty Property Trust. He said Brandywine is trying to redevelop the entire building and make it Class A office space. They are probably trying to make it attractive to tenants by putting in attractive amenities for office tenants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #367  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 9:36 PM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I suppose you probably know more than I do, but they're definitely kicking out the stock exchange, and they've been trying to get rid of Cozen for years (they've had extremely favorable rent terms). What I heard is they want to put a pool in the basement, so I assumed it was going residential. Maybe they just want a gym for the office workers?
Cozen already signed a lease to move to 1 liberty place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #368  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 11:02 AM
bucks native's Avatar
bucks native bucks native is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NEPA Valley
Posts: 1,300
Reading Viaduct

WATCH: Awesome Video About Plans for Reading Viaduct Park
Cameos from Nutter, Rendell, and more.

By Simon van Zuylen-Wood | December 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/12/06/watch-awesome-video-plans-reading-viaduct-park/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #369  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 2:10 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
Office Space: City gets a 'how-to' do it better

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201312...o__do_it_better.html#aQyVFzdPMOFhKvrD.99
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #370  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 9:24 AM
bucks native's Avatar
bucks native bucks native is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NEPA Valley
Posts: 1,300
Rohm and Haas/Dow Bldg

source: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...rhaul-planned-for-dow.html?ana=e_phil_bn

Major overhaul planned for Dow building

“We are designing and developing a product that will anchor the Market Street East part of Philadelphia, enhance the pedestrian experience and create a new scene that will augment the cityscape,” said Bill Glazer, president of Keystone Property Group of Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

To that end, Parkway Corp. will convert 55,000 square feet of basement space in the office building into a parking garage. It will have somewhere between 120 and 130 spaces.

Plans are also being developed to create a dynamic outdoor space on an existing plaza area along 6th Street. That includes incorporating a restaurant in 3,000 square feet of the property at the corner of 6th and Market streets. The building has a 40-foot setback, giving it ample room for a restaurant to have outdoor dining.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #371  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 12:34 PM
Johnland Johnland is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
source: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...rhaul-planned-for-dow.html?ana=e_phil_bn

Major overhaul planned for Dow building

“We are designing and developing a product that will anchor the Market Street East part of Philadelphia, enhance the pedestrian experience and create a new scene that will augment the cityscape,” said Bill Glazer, president of Keystone Property Group of Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

To that end, Parkway Corp. will convert 55,000 square feet of basement space in the office building into a parking garage. It will have somewhere between 120 and 130 spaces.

Plans are also being developed to create a dynamic outdoor space on an existing plaza area along 6th Street. That includes incorporating a restaurant in 3,000 square feet of the property at the corner of 6th and Market streets. The building has a 40-foot setback, giving it ample room for a restaurant to have outdoor dining.
The restuarant and pedestrian enhancements sound good. They will help add some life to the mall. This is the building that faces Independence Mall - right? Last time I visited, I went there and was struck by just how barren it really is, especially for being a block from Old City. I still think the the land should be returned to the city to sell to private builders to develop high density, high quality mixed-use projects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #372  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
First Commercial Real Estate brokerage to open office in University City

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...2/ngkf-opens-university-city-office.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #373  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 1:39 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
The restuarant and pedestrian enhancements sound good. They will help add some life to the mall. This is the building that faces Independence Mall - right? Last time I visited, I went there and was struck by just how barren it really is, especially for being a block from Old City. I still think the the land should be returned to the city to sell to private builders to develop high density, high quality mixed-use projects.
The area from Arch to Market along 6th is a rough patch. The Rhom and Haas building, the Federal Courthouse, and some squat boxy black building at 6th and Arch are all hideous. But what's worse, is that all those buildings are surrounded by walls that really damage the pedestrian experience. I'm hopeful that part of the redesign will see those walls on the R&H building come down and that the building becomes more integrated w/ the street.

Overall, the buildings surrounding Independence Hall are really hit or miss. The Lafayette Building (now a Kimpton?), the Public Ledger, the Bourse, and the Jewish Museum are all very nice. But the buildings that they put up in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's - well they're really products of their time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #374  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 2:21 PM
PhiLaw PhiLaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The area from Arch to Market along 6th is a rough patch. The Rhom and Haas building, the Federal Courthouse, and some squat boxy black building at 6th and Arch are all hideous. But what's worse, is that all those buildings are surrounded by walls that really damage the pedestrian experience. I'm hopeful that part of the redesign will see those walls on the R&H building come down and that the building becomes more integrated w/ the street.

Overall, the buildings surrounding Independence Hall are really hit or miss. The Lafayette Building (now a Kimpton?), the Public Ledger, the Bourse, and the Jewish Museum are all very nice. But the buildings that they put up in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's - well they're really products of their time.
I absolutely agree. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I believe that [greater] Market East - that is, from Race to Chestnut, 6th to 12th - is the Erie Canal of Philadelphia. Connecting historical and cultural Philadelphia to political and economic Philadelphia should be our north star for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #375  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:04 PM
Insoluble Insoluble is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
WATCH: Awesome Video About Plans for Reading Viaduct Park
Cameos from Nutter, Rendell, and more.
It would be even more awesome if the Reading Viaduct group hadn't linked up with the sketchy tunnel "park" group that wants to turn the Pennsylvania cut into a muggers haven. I'd really love to see the portions of the viaduct east of Broad and south of Spring Garden turn into a park. I hope this group is able to get that accomplished then bow out to the greater good for the portion west of Broad. I think everyone except for a few extremists realizes that would serve much better as a transit ROW.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #376  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:24 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
According to Biz Journal the PHA is seeking proposals for development of 2012, 2014, and 2016 Chestnut Street, the abandoned properties on the south side of the street currently making the City the worst landlord on the block (and the only one who hadn't cleared the sidewalk this morning).
The City would do a ground lease, proposals due Feb 7.

This is GREAT news for Chestnut Street!

Also, the former Victoria's Secret on the 1700 block of Chestnut Street is under construction now and will house a 2 story American Eagle Outfitters. I've also noticed that there seem to be many more second floor businesses on Chestnut Street recently, a positive sign for the shopping district.

Last edited by ILovePhilly; Dec 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM. Reason: north/south
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #377  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:36 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Looks like the old Mt. Sinai in South Philly is seeing traction. That building's been an empty albatross for a long time.

http://www.passyunkpost.com/2013/12/09/w...rtments-plans-to-be-presented-this-week/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #378  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:48 PM
Nightman Nightman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
source: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...rhaul-planned-for-dow.html?ana=e_phil_bn

Major overhaul planned for Dow building

“We are designing and developing a product that will anchor the Market Street East part of Philadelphia, enhance the pedestrian experience and create a new scene that will augment the cityscape,” said Bill Glazer, president of Keystone Property Group of Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

To that end, Parkway Corp. will convert 55,000 square feet of basement space in the office building into a parking garage. It will have somewhere between 120 and 130 spaces.

Plans are also being developed to create a dynamic outdoor space on an existing plaza area along 6th Street. That includes incorporating a restaurant in 3,000 square feet of the property at the corner of 6th and Market streets. The building has a 40-foot setback, giving it ample room for a restaurant to have outdoor dining.
120 parking spots for a 3,000 sf restaurant space. Unfortunately I can't get too excited about this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #379  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 5:31 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
120 parking spots for a 3,000 sf restaurant space. Unfortunately I can't get too excited about this.
I don't think the parking is for the restaurant alone. I believe they have an opportunity to convert the basement to the garage to generate revenue. It it probably a relatively cheap project that can huge gains in a short amount of time, esp. if they price it a bit cheaper than the underground parking across the street.

The restaurant is actually a great idea in that location with the amount of tourist and workers in the area. There is really nothing in the generally area to grab a bite to eat or having a business lunch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #380  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 6:27 PM
Nightman Nightman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I don't think the parking is for the restaurant alone. I believe they have an opportunity to convert the basement to the garage to generate revenue. It it probably a relatively cheap project that can huge gains in a short amount of time, esp. if they price it a bit cheaper than the underground parking across the street.

The restaurant is actually a great idea in that location with the amount of tourist and workers in the area. There is really nothing in the generally area to grab a bite to eat or having a business lunch.
Agreed it will be a nice addition if the restaurant space is done right. But as far as I am concerned this is not a major news article and by no means will this anchor market east like Keystone is touting it will.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.