Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11
Why not put The Pin in Hance Park? That's the type of iconic attraction they are looking for, is it not?
|
Hi Phoenix. New screen name, long time member. Moved from Ohio to Phoenix early this year and have been lurking on you guys for about a year now
I have a lot of interest in the Pin as it was announced practially the first day I moved here and have been watching it closely. Since we have not had any recent developments lately, I decided to contact Brian Stowell about 2 weeks ago. This is part of the response I received...
"The city has expressed interest and plans are still in the works for the project. We have many preliminary issues to work out before we can identify a clear starting date, but we are at work on all of them."
I know that's somewhat of a generic response, but at the least, it looks like the Pin may still be in development and hasn't been cancelled yet.
My opinion of the location picked is due to the proximity of the ballpark, arena, the convention center itself and the high volume of pedestrian traffic this area receives during events which would help boost public interest and attendence. It's a "Hey, while we're here, let's check this out" attraction. Many cities have adopted this philosophy on "riskier" projects with much success. The powers that be know that this location could be a good bet versus a risk if it were buillt anywhere else. Be lucky they didn't pick Westgate
Personally, I would love to see a little more design thought put into it (especially after seeing the observation tower Miami is planning). Plus, my choice would be to build this at the downtown civic park instead which would allow much more height and still have high foot traffic volume. But I don't think the current spot is exactly a bad location considering.
By the way, the Pin appears to have a new name of "Copper Point Tower" according to the website renderings.