Quote:
Schuylkill Banks Cafes
As much as I like this idea I just don't think its feasible. If you look at the café they put in the Sister Cities park it doesn't really fit anywhere within the banks. There are only about 2-3 places where you could fit a small café and only 1 doesn't involve blocking views of the river from the trail. On top of that remember that the whole park floods several times a year which is not ideal for a place that prepares food.
|

Are you talking about Londonee's comment? If so I think it was in reference to the impending CHOP development just below south street.
The plan already calls for an expansion of the River Trail, and a larger manicured grounds... To the point where I think it would be one of the wider portions of the trail once completed.
I share the opinion that retail could really be a boon for that area, and the trail in particular. If the neighbors aren't keen on Schuylkill Ave becoming a retail corridor – though not an opinion I share — that is fine. Have light-bite options facing the avenue (coffee, bagels, lunch-fare) and then have a larger retail turn toward the River. It would be a terrific anchor dining/drinking area to promote from the northern museum portion complimented by some of the best skyline views of the city & river.
Living in that general area, I'd be hard pressed to choose anywhere else to go in the spring/summer/fall for an evening drink with friends. The fact that it's turned toward the river would also calm any fears of noise from neighbors.
Ah well, call it one man's dream... unlikely to become a reality.