HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5721  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 3:58 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
deleted.

Last edited by EPdesign; Dec 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM.
     
     
  #5722  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 4:26 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
It's a fortress whose main intent is keeping people out rather than offering justice to the citizens of this nation. Shouldn't a courthouse be inviting? It makes you question who they're trying to keep out?
This is why the building is set back so far from the street:

     
     
  #5723  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 7:55 PM
DerrickSLC DerrickSLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
So I am in the process of writing a paper on Daniel Libeskind architectural style. I Really really wish we had him design something in Salt Lake. The Michael Lee-Chin Extension of the ROM is great as well as his Crystals at CityCenter, Las Vegas.



I WANT A CRYSTAL IN SALT LAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think it'd be great to have a Libeskind in Salt Lake. Something different and unique for the city. Had floated the idea around of his work for a possible UMOCA addition or a new building for the museum. Could even be a brand new museum in downtown.
     
     
  #5724  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:12 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
Terrorism has changed architecture. It's a big reason the initial Salt Lake City International Airport renderings changed after 9/11. Get used to it. In the post-9/11 world, where terrorism is still a legitimate threat (well, that too is debatable, since I think more domestic terrorism is a bigger threat than jihadists, but eh), buildings will be developed differently.

And yes, that means setting it back from the street.

It 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. But eh.
     
     
  #5725  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:50 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Thanks DerrickSLC. I like the Crystals.
     
     
  #5726  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 9:20 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
If someone wants to blow up the courthouse having poor street engagement is not going to stop them.

I just think it's an interesting social commentary on the state of affairs in our country when we've entered a period of such mass hysteria and paranoia that our main goal in Architecture is in preventing "terrorism."

One has to ask the question why Federal Buildings have become the target of so much anger and hostility for both domestic and foreign aggressors. It's funny that we can randomly invade countries, overthrow their leaders, kill millions of their unarmed civilians all in the name of freedom(oil), democracy, or divine intervention and still refer to them as the terrorists.

I'm getting a little off topic, but I do think it's fascinating how our foreign and domestic policies of the last 50 years have negatively impacted our Architecture.
     
     
  #5727  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:09 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
I'm sure the Courthouse will have good street engagement. Look here.


Trees, cool steps, nice marble or granite.
     
     
  #5728  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:00 AM
Stuxnet's Avatar
Stuxnet Stuxnet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Well since Palladio showed his face I guess I should too... I have been stalking this forum long enough. But with me comes a little bit of intrigue regarding the possibility of a new church office building. I completely forgot about this until just recently. It must have been about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago I was talking with a friend who manages church properties and they told me that the church was looking into building a "huge office tower" on the corner of West and South temple where the Dee's use to be until it became the JB something or other. Then this week I was talking to another friend who works in the Church Office Building and he was telling me about how the need for a new building. He then also told me about how he has been hearing an increase in rumors about a new building coming soon.
     
     
  #5729  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:21 AM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
If someone wants to blow up the courthouse having poor street engagement is not going to stop them.
Agreed. Consider, for example, the fact that just a few weeks ago someone drove a truck all the way up the Capitol steps (on the west side of the building, I think). The Capitol is set back much farther than the new courthouse, but they still managed to do it. I'm sure the same could be done at the new courthouse if someone was sufficiently determined/psychotic.

I'm not a huge fan of the building, but the street engagement is what really ruins the entire site for me.

So, I wonder if they could have done something with the street if they felt they needed more protection. Perhaps the way 200 South along the north side of the Gallivan Center has the main lanes for traffic, and then a slower, protected lane adjacent to the actual site (just south of Regent St.). That would have created a buffer from traffic/truck bombs, but maybe could have allowed the building to have less of a set back.

Obviously it's too late for the courthouse, but hopefully every federal building in America won't now have to be a little piece of suburbia in the middle of a city.
     
     
  #5730  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:52 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Well since Palladio showed his face I guess I should too... I have been stalking this forum long enough. But with me comes a little bit of intrigue regarding the possibility of a new church office building. I completely forgot about this until just recently. It must have been about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago I was talking with a friend who manages church properties and they told me that the church was looking into building a "huge office tower" on the corner of West and South temple where the Dee's use to be until it became the JB something or other. Then this week I was talking to another friend who works in the Church Office Building and he was telling me about how the need for a new building. He then also told me about how he has been hearing an increase in rumors about a new building coming soon.
Welcome to the forum Stuxnet, It's always great to have someone graduate from lurker to actual participant. That's very interesting about a new COB. I hope that they do build soon, though a so called huge tower or say new tallest at that location would throw the skyline off even further. At least until they finally start building taller towers to the south. Anyway, I'm just impatient for the LDS Church to develop that whole parking lot area between W. Temple and Triad.

Regarding the Courthouse, I'm anxious to see Orlando's photos. When are you going to post them Orlando? I tend to agree with you on the Courthouse. I think when all is said and done, it will be a unique and attractive addition to the CBD. I love how you described it's attributes. I've always held that it will be a singularly interesting piece of art added to the mix. It is in no way brutalist in my opinion, and has many uniquely attractive elements. As far as developed blocks, I don't think Salt Lake has too much of the set back varieties or the spacious plazas, or the up-to-the-street commercial. Too much of any of these is where the city becomes very uninteresting and sterile. I've frequented a lot of CBDs that had way too much of the curbside commercial, and not enough of the beautiful squares alla Temple, Washington and Library variety. I think that the Courthouse lawn slope and Plaza will be an interesting mix and gracious public space for that specific sector's future. IMO, the Courthouse doesn't tip the scales of CBD offerings in any major direction. However, definitely bring on more inner-block development.

When the Courthouse is about to open I hope either John Martin or T-Mac will give us a photo spread of the completed project. Those two always seem to help the building put it's best foot forward.
     
     
  #5731  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:46 PM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
Speaking of the parking lots along North Temple stretching to 300 West, the rumor has long been that the LDS Church was looking to develop these as part of a BYU-SLC/LDS Business College expansion, including the addition of student housing. Is this still the case? I thought perhaps it would begin once the CCC was complete?

I am anxious for it to get going as it it such a wasteland that abruptly cuts off downtown.
     
     
  #5732  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 6:55 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosePark View Post
Speaking of the parking lots along North Temple stretching to 300 West, the rumor has long been that the LDS Church was looking to develop these as part of a BYU-SLC/LDS Business College expansion, including the addition of student housing. Is this still the case? I thought perhaps it would begin once the CCC was complete?

I am anxious for it to get going as it it such a wasteland that abruptly cuts off downtown.
To be honest. I have mixed feelings about how they would develop that site. The North temple 300w intersection has one of the best views going into downtown. It would be unfortunate to lose that view with an unimpressive structure. I wouldn't mind if they put a plaza on that corner then filled the rest of the block up. It's just an idea. I would like to see something get built there as well.
     
     
  #5733  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:48 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
If the rumors are true that the LDS church plans on developing a new office building where the JB's is now I don't think I want it to be any taller then 18-stories. Having a new tallest there would throw the skyline off since we already have a 400+ footer on North Temple. Having it around the same height as the Zions Bank, Gateway Tower West ( whatever it's called today ) would fit in much better.
I wonder how soon is "soon"
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5734  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:31 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
U.S. Federal Courthouse on 400 South and West Temple












extras:




...I'm getting married.
     
     
  #5735  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:54 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I happen to really like the new federal courthouse. I like its unique and modern design in the city skyline. Unlike someone who mentioned that it reminded them of suburbia, I completely feel the opposite. I can't think of any suburban structure that even slightly resembles the building. I don't think that every building in a city must be built to the property line. For example, the City & County Building, the LDS Temple, ESA, the State Capital just to name a few and I think that these are all attrative structures. Setting the building back can add prominence and officiality. It can also provide open space in areas of the city that hopefully will become even more dense in the future. Just a few of my thoughts.

Also with regard to the LDS Church building a new campus or a new office building, I think it's really all rumors at the moment, but I heard a rumor as well and thought I would share it. In speaking with a friend that is an accountant for the LDS Church, almost all extra money the church has at the moment is being spent on the expanded missionary force. He casually mentioned that Pres. Monson didn't anounce any new temple sites during General Conference and he conjectured that it was due some financial constraints.

Last edited by UTPlanner; Dec 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM.
     
     
  #5736  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:25 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Am I mistaken, or is this a rendering of the building (Zims?) being restored on State Street? It's not quite like the original, but I think it is an attractive compromise.

     
     
  #5737  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 9:28 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


Yes it's a rendering.
     
     
  #5738  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:12 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
That's actually pretty nice. Way better than how it looked when the facade was covered up
     
     
  #5739  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:12 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Agreed, it was one of the ugliest buildings downtown before this transformation.
     
     
  #5740  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 4:24 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747

http://www.utahprojects.info

I couldn't tell from Orlando's above pics, but are we still getting the sloped landscape on the south side?

I like the design pattern on the facade a lot, and the way it lights up at night!


Pic By Orlando

Thanks for the updates Orlando... and nice Tux! Are you really getting married?? If so, a big CONGRATS!

Last edited by delts145; Dec 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.