HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5681  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:51 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747


I like that water feature, but hang on to the kids. The temptation to wade in that will be overwhelming for a few toddlers. I'm sure a few texters will be stepping into it also.
     
     
  #5682  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:23 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.

Last edited by jedikermit; Nov 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Linkage
     
     
  #5683  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:06 PM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Random question of the wee hours of the morning...

Why is the 900 South exit on I-15 called the 900 South exit?? When truly it should be called the West Temple exit? It connects directly to, and becomes W. Temple! 9th south is merely a side street at the first intersection the road comes to. One can ride that exit clear to temple square downtown! Does anyone have any idea why this exit is called 9th South?
I can't say I have the answer, but notice how all the exits are name after streets running east to west 3300 s,2100 s, 1300 s etc. Gives you a sense of direction knowing on what south street you are on.
     
     
  #5684  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 12:01 AM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post


I like that water feature, but hang on to the kids. The temptation to wade in that will be overwhelming for a few toddlers. I'm sure a few texters will be stepping into it also.
It adds some sizzle to the rendering, but I'm guessing it has a pretty small chance of actually being built as shown.
     
     
  #5685  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 2:08 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I think the retail portion of 111 on 100 S would be ideal for either a high end restaurant, preferably locally owned, like the new Bistro 222, or another high end clothing store, it's a logical extension from City Creek, something perhaps like a Kenneth Cole (I know, it's shocking that I would suggest that)
     
     
  #5686  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:33 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
This isn't development related, it's all stuff we know, but I wanted to share this video presented to those moving into the state for work. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NuIncbAVU
     
     
  #5687  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:45 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I finally got the image. It's from The Office. Michael Scott falls into the water feature as Jim watches on.
     
     
  #5688  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:33 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
This is from an earlier update on the new Ronald McDonald House taken by John Martin. I'm anxious to see the execution work on the masonary details. Anyone willing to capture a few update pics??


Downtown Adj. - Ronald McDonald House #2


http://img.ksl.com


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Pic By John Martin
     
     
  #5689  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:05 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
Here is the sight of 111 South Main and the new Performing Arts Center back in 1958.

Photo is by NY10014

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48849230@N02/6875597925/in/pool-49009428@N00/
     
     
  #5690  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:48 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I LOVE all the blade signs, I hope we see a return of more of those in the CBD.
     
     
  #5691  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:42 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Love the pictures. I also can't believe we lost that beautiful building with the "Film" blade sign next to the corner building. And that it was replaced by the hideous Metro building or whatever that thing is called. (I know my dislike of that building is not universal, but I hate it.)
     
     
  #5692  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 12:46 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
While I do appreciate the interior structural aspect of the Prudential, I thought the same thing Jimmy about losing that beautiful front on the Kodak Film Building.
     
     
  #5693  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:21 AM
Merewether's Avatar
Merewether Merewether is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 8410*
Posts: 201
[QUOTE=delts145;6355241]This is from an earlier update on the new Ronald McDonald House taken by John Martin. I'm anxious to see the execution work on the masonary details. Anyone willing to capture a few update pics??

We were by there yesterday and I am pretty sure it was totally upholstered in plastic..
     
     
  #5694  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:04 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
While I do appreciate the interior structural aspect of the Prudential, I thought the same thing Jimmy about losing that beautiful front on the Kodak Film Building.
What do you mean by this, the seagull sculpture? Or is there some other structural elements you are referring to?
     
     
  #5695  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:16 PM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post


Hi there Palladio, welcome to the forum...

So what is in the new master plan for Salt Lake City and where can we read about it or see the new updates?

Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I went to the downtown master plan update at Local First.

I was there too! In fact, I was a volunteer at the event. I was conducting the youth activities for the five or six kids that were there.

This is a good place to read updates: http://downtownplanslc.com
     
     
  #5696  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 10:53 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
What do you mean by this, the seagull sculpture? Or is there some other structural elements you are referring to?
I can't speak for delts, but from the look of this blog post it looks like the interior was pretty cool at one point.

I never saw any of that first hand; by the time I got to SLC I'm not sure if any of it was left.
     
     
  #5697  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 12:40 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
What do you mean by this, the seagull sculpture? Or is there some other structural elements you are referring to?
Read this link Future Mayor, although I'm warning you, it might make you a little sad.

http://saltlakearchitecture.blogspot.com/2009/12/prudential-federal-savings-and-loan.html

Wait a minute, I see it's the exact same link that Jimmy has posted. Well, obviously at one time it was considered a landmark achievement for the City.
     
     
  #5698  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 1:32 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Read this link Future Mayor, although I'm warning you, it might make you a little sad.

http://saltlakearchitecture.blogspot.com/2009/12/prudential-federal-savings-and-loan.html

Wait a minute, I see it's the exact same link that Jimmy has posted. Well, obviously at one time it was considered a landmark achievement for the City.
That's unfortunate, but as I said, the new PAC will be much better.
     
     
  #5699  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 3:13 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
ALTA Gateway project:
Planned Development PLNSUB2013-00824
108 South 500 West
December 11, 2013
http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Planning%20Commission/2013/824.pdf
     
     
  #5700  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 5:15 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Thanks for that bit of news, Viperlord! I just drove by there last week and wondered how long it would be before we saw something built there. Keep us updated!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.