Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok
I did say some people like a variety of colours, and that it was just a little bit too colourful for me. You can definitely have an overcolourful city though. You can also have an undercolourful one. There's a balance to almost anything.
|
Our standards for this are different, but I do understand what you mean.
I like more colour. I always feel more at home when the buildings exhibit the same rainbow of colours as in St. John's - from South America, through the Caribbean, through most of continental Europe.
I'll always find Amsterdam, at street level, far more colourful and beautiful than, say, Dublin.
As for modern skylines... it depends on the city. Our blue and pink Cabot Place Complex would probably look a little out of place in Kitchener. Just about any of the quirky, cool office towers in Oslo would be abominations in any other city.
Some rather monotonous skylines - like Vancouver, and Istan
blue - are made gorgeous by their surroundings. And some rather colourful skylines, in the modern sense, like Calgary's, really appeal to me.
It probably just depends on where you were raised and which city set your standards.
One of my friends from Brazil, who lived here but moved to TO, posted a video on Facebook of the snow falling on his street. And another friend from Colombia, who also lives here, was surprised and disappointed that the streetscape was all brown. You wouldn't get that reaction from most North Americans, I think. There aren't many of us who would expect brownstones to be whitewashed or at least colourfully painted.
But, as I said, my standards are way skewed. My default setting is one of the most colourful cities in the world:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/22/cities-with-colour-photos_n_3794060.html