HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6041  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:28 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
All this conspiracy stuff disguises an optimism you must have in human intelligence and planning that would make Eyeore proud. Stupidity, however infuriating, is not the same as a conspiracy. Although sometimes you have to believe that people are planning to look like morons (covering the platforms at USish? It DOES seem like you have to be intentionally undermining the project with that train room but really?, I really just think they are well meaning dolts. Not conspiracy hatching transit killers), making a long sweeping curve right up the path across the park (making a muddy path that cuts across the curve inevitable - with the comical "please stay on the path nonsense." A 4 year-old could have told the landscape architect that was going to happen. But was he/she intentionally conspiring to make the park look ugly in that area? I doubt it. You could probably find 100s of similar examples all over Denver and every other city.

I haven't met many people that are capable of putting matching socks on let alone plan long range moves that undermine the work of RTD/whatever transit agency you want to pick. The smartest people who want to make RTD or any transit agency look bad just have to sit back and watch them.
IMO, you are being profound.

Maybe those of us who are not part of the 'movers and shakers' circle spend years on the "outside" and gain that particular type of insight that comes with not being (at least partly) responsible for decisions. Many of us evolve like an unpaid academician who studies because we love the material, and do not have to deal with bureaucratic **** that workers in fields we are interested in have to deal with. We, therefore, are (reasonably) free, unlike those that get paid for work in our avocational fields, to publicly express our opinions.

IMO, there is a yin - yang, or a heads and tails like mix between your incompetence model and my conspiratorial model regarding the results of human interaction. Each is our way of handling the data we perceive and the mediocrity that results from so much of what people normally do.

I suppose this is a way that we protect optimism when the concrete results of what we have followed ardently for years neither meets our dreams nor adequately fulfills public expectations.

At the same time, however, we, those outside of the movers and shakers, IMO, have the moral responsibility to keep the light turned on darkness.

The old metaphor of light and darkness does not distinguish between the results of incompetence or malfeasance, but, between 'good' and 'evil' as reflected by results.

Brainpathology, what we can see as the results of decisions made behind closed doors and in front of the public for DUS are a mix of incompetence and ruthlessness. A mix of bumbling naivety and deliberate calculation, if you will.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Nov 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6042  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:51 PM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
A mix of bumbling naivety and deliberate calculation, if you will.
Much like the duality that exists when you say so much while conveying so little. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of reading the same conspiracy theory over and over. Perhaps, you feel that repeating a lie (or delusion) over and over, you'll sway some opinions but, you've convinced no one.

Last edited by Cirrus; Nov 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6043  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 9:41 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Much like the duality that exists when you say so much while conveying so little. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of reading the same conspiracy theory over and over. Perhaps, you feel that repeating a lie (or delusion) over and over, you'll sway some opinions but, you've convinced no one.
I said this to others many times here.

How much about the rest of the transportation world do you know? Have you spent the time really looking at youtube, using other languages in the search engine, for example? Are you aware of what good design actually is in station design? Have you used rail station complexes that work? Have you studied transit science in terms of scheduling, rail networking design, station ergonomics, and, right-of-way design? Have you studied what the rest of the world not only is doing now, but, what has been done in the past?

Do you understand money? Do you understand what power is, and, how power is used? Have you studied the history of railroads, streetcars, and inter urbans in the US?

Do you believe that Denver is somehow immune from the results of self-interested power?

Do you make money or gain the future ability to make money by what you say in this blog?
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Cirrus; Nov 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6044  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 9:51 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
We're all a little crazy. If you're going to be skeptical of monied power brokers (and I am not), I still prefer the "we want better" brand of crazy that Wizened espouses than the "eat sh*t and die" brand that comes from, say, the tea party. Just saying. If you're going to be a conspiracy theorist, at least be one that doesn't accept mediocrity rather than one who cheers for it. I can appreciate that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6045  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Brainpathology's Avatar
Brainpathology Brainpathology is offline
of Gnomeregan
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
IMO, you are being profound.

Maybe those of us who are not part of the 'movers and shakers' circle spend years on the "outside" and gain that particular type of insight that comes with not being (at least partly) responsible for decisions. Many of us evolve like an unpaid academician who studies because we love the material, and do not have to deal with bureaucratic **** that workers in fields we are interested in have to deal with. We, therefore, are (reasonably) free, unlike those that get paid for work in our avocational fields, to publicly express our opinions.

IMO, there is a yin - yang, or a heads and tails like mix between your incompetence model and my conspiratorial model regarding the results of human interaction. Each is our way of handling the data we perceive and the mediocrity that results from so much of what people normally do.

I suppose this is a way that we protect optimism when the concrete results of what we have followed ardently for years neither meets our dreams nor adequately fulfills public expectations.

At the same time, however, we, those outside of the movers and shakers, IMO, have the moral responsibility to keep the light turned on darkness.

The old metaphor of light and darkness does not distinguish between the results of incompetence or malfeasance, but, between 'good' and 'evil' as reflected by results.

Brainpathology, what we can see as the results of decisions made behind closed doors and in front of the public for DUS are a mix of incompetence and ruthlessness. A mix of bumbling naivety and deliberate calculation, if you will.
I suppose... in my experience I've been outsmarted WAY WAY fewer times than I've been thwarted by someone else's stupidity. And I like to apply the Copernican principle to situations as much as I can.

Rich people are ruthless yes.. but I'm not sure they're all that much smarter than most others.

Though for what it's worth I do prefer discussions with you and others in the same way Bunt_q does. And we both seem to agree that USish is profoundly disappointing/well short of the functionality and ability to age appropriately than it should be.

I just don't want to accuse the well meaning designers and planners of being sinister. I'd be the first to hand them all a cup of nice sweet juicy orange wedges to show my appreciation for their efforts as soon as USish is all done (and no goals are scored).
__________________
Alamosa - La Veta - Walsenburg - Rye - Pueblo - Boulder - Colorado Springs - Denver - Los Angeles - Orlando - Tacoma, Old Town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6046  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:47 AM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
I suppose... in my experience I've been outsmarted WAY WAY fewer times than I've been thwarted by someone else's stupidity. And I like to apply the Copernican principle to situations as much as I can.

Rich people are ruthless yes.. but I'm not sure they're all that much smarter than most others.

Though for what it's worth I do prefer discussions with you and others in the same way Bunt_q does. And we both seem to agree that USish is profoundly disappointing/well short of the functionality and ability to age appropriately than it should be.

I just don't want to accuse the well meaning designers and planners of being sinister. I'd be the first to hand them all a cup of nice sweet juicy orange wedges to show my appreciation for their efforts as soon as USish is all done (and no goals are scored).
You and I are on the same page, sir.

The designers have to work with what they are given. My frustration results from the 'shadowy' operations that determine what the worker bee designers and architects have to work with.

That's what power and money historically has always been able to do: do what THEY want first, then, give the engineers, architects, and designers what is left and order them to make it all work via wages and contracts.

As an outsider modeling what goes on behind locked doors, I am beginning to believe that most often the rich and powerful consider property development and increasing their power as a game between fellow class members- a kind of chess game where the pieces are politicians and those that influence public opinion.*

Fortunately, in many cases, those with power and money share their profits with public need. Regrettably, as I have learned, often they do not.

*Look at the monarchs Europe, many of whom were cousins, and, WWI. No different than winning a quick $100 million at long term public expense other than scale.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6047  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 2:25 AM
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
I said this to others many times here.

How much about the rest of the transportation world do you know? Have you spent the time really looking at youtube, using other languages in the search engine, for example? Are you aware of what good design actually is in station design? Have you used rail station complexes that work? Have you studied transit science in terms of scheduling, rail networking design, station ergonomics, and, right-of-way design? Have you studied what the rest of the world not only is doing now, but, what has been done in the past?

Do you understand money? Do you understand what power is, and, how power is used? Have you studied the history of railroads, streetcars, and inter urbans in the US?

Do you believe that Denver is somehow immune from the results of self-interested power?

Do you make money or gain the future ability to make money by what you say in this blog?
Yes to all of those. However, you're making quite a leap from "it could be better" to "there is a mass conspiracy by 'monied interests' and 'shadowy deal-makers' to keep DUS from becoming better". If you're going to be making outrageous claims then the burden of proof is on you. You've so far been unable to prove any kind of mass subterfuge. In fact, this completely undermines your overall argument that DUS could and should be better. That is an appropriate argument, and one that I can be behind. However, your melodramatic conspiracy rants are akin to saying "the sky is blue... because the government is trying to hide the enormous alien spaceship that's in orbit".

Last edited by Cirrus; Nov 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6048  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 7:52 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
"the sky is blue... because the government is trying to hide the enormous alien spaceship that's in orbit".
Also, water towers. The blue sky is the camouflage, water towers are the visual distraction. The government really knows what it's doing. But if you look closely, you can see the ship hiding up there.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6049  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 8:55 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Yes to all of those. However, you're making quite a leap from "it could be better" to "there is a mass conspiracy by 'monied interests' and 'shadowy deal-makers' to keep DUS from becoming better". If you're going to be making outrageous claims then the burden of proof is on you. You've so far been unable to prove any kind of mass subterfuge. In fact, this completely undermines your overall argument that DUS could and should be better. That is an appropriate argument, and one that I can be behind. However, your melodramatic conspiracy rants are akin to saying "the sky is blue... because the government is trying to hide the enormous alien spaceship that's in orbit".
Let's look at it another way- given that you and others understand good rail design then you would agree:

A) Through tracks are better than stub tracks.

B) For access, platform to platform boarding on through tracks is best, followed by stacked through tracks, followed by through tracks and one branch with snub tracked platforms platform to platform, etc.

C) That the reverse S design of two stub rail stations, each about 800 feet apart, makes through connections worse than B.

D) That prior to the property plat lay out, that the rail yard was an empty slate, that through north south traffic had been routine at DUS, and, setting up through north south traffic at DUS prior to late 1998 when the Pepsi Center had ground breaking, would have been easy (passenger trains did this routinely up until the late 1960s.

E) That both alternatives- the alternative for light rail to be buried where the bus station is now nearing completion, and, the bus station alternative were announced after the property was divided up and sold.

F) That Mr. A owned controlling interest in the Rio Grand Rail yard, and, had the through tracks moved to where they are now in advance preparation for his Pepsi Center. Those that designed the new track layout, as well as those involved in the advanced leg work for Pepsi Center likely knew that traffic to the south of DUS would have to be blocked so that the right of way would not intrude on parking to be built on the yet to be constructed Auraria Parkway.

G) That the rail yard was sold, or the options to buy set, by Mr. A, et all, directly or indirectly, in pieces, before the fall of 1998, and, that at that time, the property plats precluded any through heavy rail traffic at DUS, despite the timing of the sale of the DUS to RTD.

Sometime, get a sheet of paper, look at google maps for an old aerial picture of the rail yards, and, draw how you might bring in rail traffic from the south Joint line, the west Federal Center line, the north west lines to Golden and the Moffat route, the east lines along I-70, and, the north east line from Greeley....and realize how easy a world class rail road station interface would have been to build. Get a later aerial photo, after the older buildings at metro had been built, and, do the same thing. Easy as pie!

I would really not care if this kind of property speculation was done somewhere where cheap to develop right-of-way was not involved. I really don't care that the Stapleton Group lost to the DIA group and who paid whom for what, for example. The picking of the final route of E-470 (remember that?) from one of two alternatives does not interest me either.

My concern is when property speculation forces many billions in future remediation to correct right-of-way errors by eliminating possible alternatives in favor of short term gain. With the widening of I-25, the building of the triangle building between Wewatta and 16th Street, and buildings going up or planned between 18th St Chestnut Pl and 20th St, there will be no way to get access from the south without spending billions either constructing new rail line, moving freight traffic off the horrifically curved Joint line segment from Colfax to 20th St and sending the traffic south via new lines built out on the prairie, etc. Maybe a subway like line under Chestnut, may elevated lines through Commons Park West.. In any case, billions of additional dollars.

However this occurred, we are seeing a future debacle where untold billions of inflated dollars are going to have to be spent getting fast rail service in from the south side of DUS. Had future right-of-way (just two additional track widths been provided (even along the freight right-of-way that exists), this would not be a problem.

And, in my strong opinion, this mistake WILL be remediated.

Ok then, if not a conspiracy, then there was at least a group of people with a heap of short term greed that bought land or had the option to buy land plats that divided the rail yard to provided for maximum street frontage for future developers,before renewed design alternatives for the complex were made, following RTD's rail intuitive that was defeated in 1998.

Ok if not a conspiracy (a trite, over used word) a property developer cabal.

Now I will 'move on' when other mistakes are dealt with, such as DUS line/ W line interface, are dealt with. (The only change the RTD bureaucracy did in right-of-way was in response to CU med school, so, I suppose, that says change is possible.)
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6050  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:54 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Ok then, if not a conspiracy, then there was at least a group of people with a heap of short term greed that bought land or had the option to buy land plats that divided the rail yard to provided for maximum street frontage for future developers,before renewed design alternatives for the complex were made, following RTD's rail intuitive that was defeated in 1998.
OMG, property owners, within their basic rights as granted in these United States, saw fit to divide the land they owned to maximize it's value? Oh, why didn't they wait the six years until the Master Plan was finalized? The horror!

Wait, wasn't the CPV slated for redevelopment in the 1980's? Just when were the land plats divided? Therein lies the key to finding just when the cabal of evil launched their plans to destroy the dream of a through station in downtown!
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6051  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 9:57 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Wait, wasn't the CPV slated for redevelopment in the 1980's? Just when were the land plats divided? Therein lies the key to finding just when the cabal of evil launched their plans to destroy the dream of a through station in downtown!
Don't forgot the diabolical plans of the E-470 planners, who were the real brains behind the operation. The only thing better than a through station downtown is a through station along E-470!... bwahaha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6052  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 9:14 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Don't forgot the diabolical plans of the E-470 planners, who were the real brains behind the operation. The only thing better than a through station downtown is a through station along E-470!... bwahaha.
More I don't care 'abouts'- widening east bound I-70 where from I-25 or making a new I-70 segment up north (there is some potential right-of-way questions, there but who cares?), the whole Invesco-Sports Authority subsidy because of the goodness our Broncos give all of us; (I already mentioned E-470; what's a few hundred million when right of way is preserved?)

For all us, a little immortal truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Sy6oiJbEk&list=RD6u8AgUXPpLM



I'd rather be a lightning rod than a seismograph.
Ken Kesey
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Nov 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6053  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 9:34 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Hang on, hang on, Wizened. Are you questioning the purity, goodness, and infallibility of the almighty Broncos now? I demand an apology; that crosses a line.

I make a motion for the deportation of Wizened from the Denver region for blasphemy. Do I hear a second?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6054  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
What if... he's.... not from Denver....

It's kind of like pancake lover a while back. I was onto him and he never returned...
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6055  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Hang on, hang on, Wizened. Are you questioning the purity, goodness, and infallibility of the almighty Broncos now? I demand an apology; that crosses a line.

I make a motion for the deportation of Wizened from the Denver region for blasphemy. Do I hear a second?
I am a Cockarodite. Yes I know the Donkeys play tonight. Go Eli Manning!
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6056  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
Wizened Variations's Avatar
Wizened Variations Wizened Variations is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
OMG, property owners, within their basic rights as granted in these United States, saw fit to divide the land they owned to maximize it's value? Oh, why didn't they wait the six years until the Master Plan was finalized? The horror!

Wait, wasn't the CPV slated for redevelopment in the 1980's? Just when were the land plats divided? Therein lies the key to finding just when the cabal of evil launched their plans to destroy the dream of a through station in downtown!
The "Yin" of public interest, and the "Yang" the freedom to do with my money.
Maximum "Yin" is something like North Korea, and maximum "Yang" the slave system for the slave owners.

If I were moneyed I would speak to those I need to, and, get what I want. I would pay people to explain to the people how what I have done is good for them. I would expect public eulogies when I pass. However, as I am lower middle class, I am supposed to applaud the mistakes (if I see the final result, I am to forgive and forget...), or keep my mouth shut when movers and shakers talk. I will be buried at Ft Logan in front of a few that might have loved me at one time...

Like the Plebians did in Rome, or the proletariat did in the Soviet Union....

No one defended public interests in that select group, Wong. The intent, I suspect, was to get public money to bring up the value of properties whose boundaries had been finalized since 1998 or 1997. Right around the time the Riverfront Property was being formalized as Denver's new Manhattan and RTD's first large scale expansion was to be put for a vote (1998, and the proposal was defeated. There was a lot of buzz about ((possibly)) illegal contributions from the 'Right' on that election).

I'll talk about what we lost in that election, for a minute.

I take the light rail in 25 minutes directly into Union Station. I go to an underground tunnel, walk 150 feet to another platform and take the DIA train.

I catch the light rail train, travel through an 10 or 12 track DUS, stay on the light rail, and exit the old UP right of way and the light rail car has same seat running at Colorado, where it heads south towards Colfax. The line is part of a huge loop, which follows Colfax West, where it stops at Civic Station and then merges with the D line.

I catch a commuter train, like the GO trains in Canada (DMU) or better, an EMU that comes in from Castle Rock directly into Denver Station. That takes 35 minutes including a stop at Mineral.

I catch a commuter train at Mineral, and three stops later, I leave DUS in the same seat, onto the North Metro line, and, after 2 or 3 stops, get off at 162nd.

I catch a future Amtrak train in Pueblo, and, take the leisurely 3 hour trip to Denver, where I transfer directly onto the Amtrak train going to San Francisco. I exit the train, walk 250 feet and wait for the California Zephyr. While at DUS I eat a nice meal.

I catch a future Amtrak train in Cheyenne and stay on the same Amtrak train all the way to El Paso, where I catch another Amtrak
train and go to Phoenix.

The lines between Castle Rock and Denver freight are separated, and HSR dedicated lines run from Mineral to the Ft Carson end of Colorado Springs. New lines (following old right of way and existing single track) are put in on the West side of the South Platte for freight traffic. Heavy commuter lines have their own right of way from DUS through E-470.
In a similar fashion, HSR rail extends the North Metro Line to Ft Collins. I take the same train all the way from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins in 1:45 minutes.

I get a great deal on a DIA flight. I catch the Amtrak train in Pueblo that goes to DUS, and, transfer directly to the DIA train.

One stop west of DUS in that big nothing that became Pepsi Center parking, I get off the light rail, after traveling north from Mineral, at a combined light rail, bus station where I catch the Boulder Bus. Dedicated access ramps onto I-25, north and south, with lane feeders from I-70. An east-west free shuttle serves the Bus/Light rail station, servers the Auraria Complex and cross downtown.

We have paid a very price for what we have gained.
__________________
Good read on relationship between increasing number of freeway lanes and traffic

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Nov 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6057  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 4:26 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Fort Logan will be full by the time you die. You'll be buried, if you're lucky, in El Paso County.

Unless you plan on dying quickly.

Everything else was whimsical day-dreaming that didn't get back to the question of when the diabolical property cabal set their plan into motion: 1998 or even earlier in the 1980's?
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein


Last edited by wong21fr; Nov 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6058  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:33 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Fort Logan will be full by the time you die.
Is it even close? Seems like there is a lot of space left out there. Surely not enough for our generation's Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. But - having no actual basis for this - I assume Wizened is a bit more...seasoned...than most folks on here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6059  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:46 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Is it even close? Seems like there is a lot of space left out there. Surely not enough for our generation's Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. But - having no actual basis for this - assume Wizened is a bit more...seasoned...than most folks.
Supposedly there's about 15 more years where Fort Logan will be accepting new internments.

AA Fort Logan is somewhat picturesque and the next national cemetery in Colorado will be located in a miserable expanse of prairie SE of Colorado Springs, I think that they should start limiting burials at Fort Logan now similar to Arlington with the implementation of burial requirements (minimum rank, combat theater service, awarding of certain decorations, etc.). Why waste space on Baby Boomers whose experience consisted of getting drunk in Germany for two years at the expense of future generations of veterans?
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6060  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:54 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Why waste space on Baby Boomers whose experience consisted of getting drunk in Germany for two years at the expense of future generations of veterans?
But the reason they were getting drunk wasn't because the beer was good or anything... it was the fear of getting rolled over by Soviet tanks at any moment. Surely that counts for something?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.