Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin
I'm going to digress for a moment (not that is rare for me), but upon reading high praise for some time, I watched a movie on cable that I might not have otherwise. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I had seen the commercials and know it was filmed in Pgh, but didn't know much else, but was surprised by the praise.
I'm assuming some of you might have seen it, but I will say that overall well done and a good film for that genre (coming of age, high school) and it being set in the early 90s was the same time as me, though it's time period only matters to a point. Above average acting and characters, though that said, still some moments that were cliché or cringe worthy and nice to see something actually set in Pittsburgh, not just filmed in the area.
In fact, if you even saw the ads, a key scene involves the Ft Pitt tunnel.
|
I really enjoyed "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." I first saw the trailer on YouTube several months before the film came out, and after noticing Pittsburgh in the background of several scenes, I became interested in learning more.
I then checked the book out of my local library and read it in anticipation of the film, which I actually had to watch during one of my trips to Pittsburgh because it never came to any theaters in my rural part of the state.
At first, I thought it was another one of those "outcast/loser overcomes his obstacles to fulfill his dreams" type movies, which have a great message but have been overdone so much to the point of being cliche. But, it's actually much deeper and more complex than that.
Here is a link to the trailer for anyone who isn't familiar with the plot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rh7O4IDc0