HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1901  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 11:07 PM
Davidson Davidson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Highway 11
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
You do realize that with the added capacity, you're basically asking 1/4 to 1/3 of the Regina adult population to show up right (if you are letting out-of-towners off the hook, and assuming you don't expect children to go in -20)? That'd be a pretty crazy expectation, especially considering that even in Regina (and Sask), not everyone is into sports/football.

I too wish it was a fuller stadium; people who could have gone, but didn't, definitely missed a good one, but we are kind of cranking expectations way out of wack now.
Nathan I agree with you on this point - the expectations were out of whack. Take away the temporary stands for Grey Cup and a "sell-out" would be 33,000. We averaged over 37,000 for the season. So to criticize the Rider fan base in any way is out of line IMHO.

For sake of argument, let's 2/3 of the 30,000 people at the WSF were from Regina and the other 1/3 were from out of town. If 20,000 people from Regina were at that game, that's roughly 10% of the ENTIRE POPULATION of Regina. And out of the total Sask. pop of 1.1M, 30,000 makes it almost the 3rd largest city (MJ pop is 33,000). That is a crazy level of support.

I think it also confirms that plans to have 33,000 permanent seats in the new stadium is the right number.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1902  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 4:16 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
I'm more thinking that 33k is alright for now... But this stadium is going to have to last for 40+ years, so 35k might be better for long haul.

Also, I really wish the max cap would be closer to 50k than 40k like we're being led to believe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1903  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 7:01 PM
wacko wacko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 419
I'm not sure about 50,000 for an expanded capacity. That could be too much space going empty and unused for much of the time. 45,000 would sound about right to me. For the record, this year's expanded Grey Cup capacity is 44,910.

As for regular-season capacity beyond the 33,000 planned, the Riders could always add some temporary bleacher seats to expand capacity. If attendance remains steady in Mosaic Stadium (current capacity 32,848) the next few years with regular sellouts, I could see the Riders adding a couple thousand temp seats in the new stadium for the first year or two, just to see where the demand curve lies. As the newness wears off though, I'm sure attendance would drop a bit after a while. If it remains high though, then the temp seats could become permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson
Of course I was glued to the TV for the semi-final game. IMHO blacking out that game would've just punished a fan like me who's made 10 round trips of 500 Kim's each this year to see the riders play. Plus black outs are very "old school" thinking - it's what caused an entire generation of football fans in so. Ontario to turn their backs on the CFL in favour of the NFL.
As I posted in the CFL thread in the Canada section, I have suggested local TV blackouts as a possibility to put more bums in seats and thus support the team should a game be likely to fall substantially short of a sellout (32,848 normally). However, by "local blackout" I mean a blackout in the Regina area only. I would hardly want to force someone to drive 250 km on icy roads in bad weather just to see the game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1904  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 7:26 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I'm not sure about 50,000 for an expanded capacity. That could be too much space going empty and unused for much of the time. 45,000 would sound about right to me. For the record, this year's expanded Grey Cup capacity is 44,910.

As for regular-season capacity beyond the 33,000 planned, the Riders could always add some temporary bleacher seats to expand capacity. If attendance remains steady in Mosaic Stadium (current capacity 32,848) the next few years with regular sellouts, I could see the Riders adding a couple thousand temp seats in the new stadium for the first year or two, just to see where the demand curve lies. As the newness wears off though, I'm sure attendance would drop a bit after a while. If it remains high though, then the temp seats could become permanent.
This years Grey Cup capacity was a disappointment to me. Previous capacities were 55k and 50k. Also, notice how steeply the Grey Cup tickets for the cheapest seats went up compared to previous Grey Cups (not including the 100th as that is a special case). Smaller capacity for big events means much higher prices, and the CFL is going to have to be careful about pricing out too many people; the biggest supporters are the regular working class person... and that person is starting to be squeezed out. Smaller max capacities make even less sense now considering Reg/Sask's growth and the fact that the prairies are the CFL's strongest markets.

I know they are trying to go or a more "intimate full atmosphere", but by doing so, they are actually accelerating some fans' transition from live to couch/TV. And once someone decides to be a full out couch fan, blackouts will just mean they don't watch at all.

And I'm not a huge fan of temp seats becoming permanent, if that were to happen, they should be forced to use proper materials and actually make it full-out permanent (maybe you meant this in the end though?).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1905  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 7:44 PM
wacko wacko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 419
Yes, if the temp rental bleacher seats worked out, then they could potentially be replaced by proper permanent seats. Although on the other hand, those bleacher seats could also attract more casual fans to the game at a cheaper price.

I agree that it is a tricky balance between having too many vs. too few seats, and also to set proper pricing for those seats. Don't forget that every ticket sold also includes a facility fee of $10, an amount that will go up to $12 soon enough. Of course, that very same facility fee will help to repay the $100 million loan from the province for the construction of the new stadium. So I suppose in that light we can't complain too much about user-pay fees, can we?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1906  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 7:53 PM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I know they are trying to go or a more "intimate full atmosphere", but by doing so, they are actually accelerating some fans' transition from live to couch/TV. And once someone decides to be a full out couch fan, blackouts will just mean they don't watch at all.
I actually think that a larger capacity for the Grey Cup year would have led to more people staying at home. I remember going to a few games the last time they held the Grey Cup and it was a completely miserable experience. Rush seating in all the temporary stands, concessions built outside of the stadium and lines and lines of outhouses sitting on muddy, wet ground. If I was a fan attending for the first time and that was my experience at a Rider game I'd likely be more inclined to stay at home since the experience in the temp seats is completely different than in the permanent stands. Given the state Mosaic is in, I think 45,000 is a good size. Though I would agree that they should plan the new stadium to have more seats and the potential to expand to even 50,000 permanent if the need arises in fifty years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1907  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:20 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 584
Regarding the roof, I wonder if the CFL ever moved the season schedule up by one month (I know, not likely to happen, even though it makes a lot of logical sense) how much of an impact it would make in terms of the public desire for a roof? It is usually only the last game or two of the season plus the playoffs that cold weather really affects the game and attendance. And if it is significant enough here to sway the decision to spend tens of millions of dollars, it will also eventually be quite relevant to other CFL locations in the future (especially prairie ones such as Edmonton and Calgary).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1908  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:02 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
I agree that moving the season up one month would make the desire for a dome way less. In my opinion, cold weather really ruins the season for me. It completely changes the way you have played the first 18 games of the season. Footing is worse, hands are cold, kicking game suffers,... I want to see the athletes perform at their best.

There is a big difference in the weather from October 20 to November 20.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1909  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:25 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,276
Just heard on the radio that the Grey Cup is not sold out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1910  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:34 PM
Robag Robag is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Regina
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Just heard on the radio that the Grey Cup is not sold out.
They only have single seats left at this point, about 500 as of this morning. They may be releasing a few more this week as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1911  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:43 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Just heard on the radio that the Grey Cup is not sold out.
It's typical for some events to reserve some tickets to release a week or so before as a way to combat scalping and for the Grey Cup, to allow fans of teams that make it to have a chance to grab a last minute ticket. Those released tickets have all now been sold, and we are left with singles, which is termed a sellout (it's next to impossible to sell singles sometimes as generally people go to events with friends/family and not alone).

So yes... it is soldout.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1912  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:47 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I actually think that a larger capacity for the Grey Cup year would have led to more people staying at home. I remember going to a few games the last time they held the Grey Cup and it was a completely miserable experience. Rush seating in all the temporary stands, concessions built outside of the stadium and lines and lines of outhouses sitting on muddy, wet ground. If I was a fan attending for the first time and that was my experience at a Rider game I'd likely be more inclined to stay at home since the experience in the temp seats is completely different than in the permanent stands. Given the state Mosaic is in, I think 45,000 is a good size. Though I would agree that they should plan the new stadium to have more seats and the potential to expand to even 50,000 permanent if the need arises in fifty years.
I believe it's basically all paved this year (Porto-potties of course are still present).

As for the season start time... Stanley Cup playoffs make it impossible, especially if the league wants to continue getting increases at media contract renewal talks. Would be nice for the league to one day have the stability a TV-revenue league generally has.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1913  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:43 AM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
They only have single seats left at this point, about 500 as of this morning. They may be releasing a few more this week as well.
The Monday night CKCK-TV News at 11:30 stated that there were 70 tickets left. (Singles.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1914  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:22 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I believe it's basically all paved this year (Porto-potties of course are still present).

As for the season start time... Stanley Cup playoffs make it impossible, especially if the league wants to continue getting increases at media contract renewal talks. Would be nice for the league to one day have the stability a TV-revenue league generally has.
There's not much hockey left at that point. Usually just the finals and they only play every 2nd or 3rd day. Does TSN even broadcast the finals? or is it split between CBC and TSN? I think it would work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1915  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 3:58 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
There's not much hockey left at that point. Usually just the finals and they only play every 2nd or 3rd day. Does TSN even broadcast the finals? or is it split between CBC and TSN? I think it would work.
Conflicting with the Stanley Cup finals is a disaster for the CFL when a Canadian NHL team is involved in them. I remember the Stamps played a preseason home game a couple of years ago the night of the Van/Boston Stanley Cup game 7. Between the hockey game and the fact that it was pouring rain, there weren't even 10,000 fans in the stands.

What makes the CFL attractive as a TV property is that it attracts viewers in the summer, once hockey is over. I highly doubt that the schedule will be changing anytime soon, although given that the hockey season is so interminably long the sensible fix would be to cut their regular season to 60 games and wrap up the Stanley Cup finals by the end of May.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1916  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:29 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
I have no problem with october and November games. Just man it up and toss on a one piece ski doo suit and bring a thermos of coffee. 🞵🞵🞵🞵 it up you princesses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1917  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 4:50 PM
Dan0myte Dan0myte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
the sensible fix would be to cut their regular season to 60 games and wrap up the Stanley Cup finals by the end of May.
Hockey goes on wayyyy too long. That NHL lockout last year was fantastic, they had just the right amount of games that year to keep your attention and got to the playoffs right when teams and rivalries were heating up. I actually enjoyed hockey for the first time in a long time last year.

Can there please be contract negotiations every year?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1918  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:19 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,370
Lol cut the NHL season down so CFL football will have more attention?! That my friend, is crazy talk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1919  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 6:27 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Lol cut the NHL season down so CFL football will have more attention?! That my friend, is crazy talk.
No one said that. What was said is hockey season is far too long.

One big advantage of football (regardless of the variety) is that individual games are much more compelling because there are few of them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1920  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I have no problem with october and November games. Just man it up and toss on a one piece ski doo suit and bring a thermos of coffee. 🞵🞵🞵🞵 it up you princesses.
Amen brother.

Too many soft [edited] types now days....

Last edited by Tony; Nov 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM. Reason: removed offensive language
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.