HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 6:19 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 523
I noticed today that East Coast Bistro is closed and under renovation - anyone know whats happening?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:34 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I noticed today that East Coast Bistro is closed and under renovation - anyone know whats happening?
Just noticed on their Facebook page that they are renovating and will be reopening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 4:31 AM
RR Drummer RR Drummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 210
New Petro Canada on Loch Lomond is coming along nicely. Going to be a decent size when open.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:21 PM
Wolkenkratzerliebhab Wolkenkratzerliebhab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 334
Princess Auto Opening Shots

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
Wolkenkratzerliebhab Wolkenkratzerliebhab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 334
St. Hubert's Closed!

Unfortunately, the two photos I shot today confirms that St. Hubert has indeed closed. A sign thanks its customers and states that it is now closed. Surely, if it was to be renovated the notice would have said so.

St. Hubert Notice by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
St. Hubert Closes by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 2:43 AM
philster philster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posts: 93
hopefully something else will move in there soon...but the spot were second cup was suppose to go is still vacant as well, maybe if it was a True St Hubert (non Express) it would have done better, or if it was on the West Side West side, however it would be nice to have something over there that's not fast food that's finer dining.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
More importantly, can I buy one of their iconic yellow delivery cars for super cheap?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 12:57 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I'm not really surprised by St-Hubert closing, anglophone areas are not usually fond of Quebec based chains or companies. When I heard they were opening in SJ, I thought; this is not going to do well. Was this a franchise or corporate location?

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:56 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Bay-Westfield :: NB
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I'm not really surprised by St-Hubert closing, anglophone areas are not usually fond of Quebec based chains or companies. When I heard they were opening in SJ, I thought; this is not going to do well. Was this a franchise or corporate location?
Same goes with Francophone areas are not really fond for ROC based chains such as Cara Operation / Swiss Chalet although Moncton-based Invescor is doing fairly well in this market as more than half their restaurants/franchises are located in Quebec.

Both St-Hubert were franchisee to begin with but bailed out, corporate had taken over and then realized that the short-term profitability warranted closure. At the end of the day, I can not blame them, it was half empty most of the time. The Express Concept by itself in Quebec seems to do pretty well sorely based on the reputation of the chain, we have to admit that it was not the case around here.

Both solitude...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:31 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I always enjoyed St-Hubert as a young boy and then as a college student in Montreal, it's a nice change to Swiss Chalet sometimes, it's unfortunate for SJ. Maybe they were a bit overpriced, I've never been to an Express location before.

As for the building itself, it's a nice looking & quality building for a big box development, I imagine it will find a tenant in the coming months.
A Five Guys Burgers perhaps! I doubt that we'll have one before Halifax.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:43 PM
Whaler's Avatar
Whaler Whaler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 223
Speaking of chicken in the valley......I heard today that KFC is closed or is closing?
I guess the rich folks out that way don't eat chicken??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 523
I see that SEARS has sold 4 of its leases - Eaton Centre in Toronto included. I wonder what this means long term for their smaller stores?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-canada-to-sell-leases-for-flagship-store-4-others-1.2286483
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:37 PM
Wolkenkratzerliebhab Wolkenkratzerliebhab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I see that SEARS has sold 4 of its leases - Eaton Centre in Toronto included. I wonder what this means long term for their smaller stores?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-canada-to-sell-leases-for-flagship-store-4-others-1.2286483
As far as the Saint John store goes, it has just gone through a rather large renovation project, which saw the electronic department closed and replaced with a larger children's selection of goods. Sears, generally speaking, is in a lot of trouble and I wouldn't be surprised if the entire chain were to disappear, but I hope not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 9:08 PM
RR Drummer RR Drummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 210
[QUOTE=Wolkenkratzerliebhab;6319337]As far as the Saint John store goes, it has just gone through a rather large renovation project, which saw the electronic department closed and replaced with a larger children's selection of goods. Sears, generally speaking, is in a lot of trouble and I wouldn't be surprised if the entire chain were to disappear, but I hope not.[/QUOTE

The writing on the wall has been there for years now. They are losing their target demographic as the population ages and not getting enough newer customers. They simply do not have a connection to most of the retail customers that would purchase their products. Ideas on what would be good in this space should they vacate?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
philster philster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posts: 93
Probably a US retailer would be my guess?? A lot of US Chains like Kohl's are eyeing Canada. A similar deal like the Zellers/Target one could happen to gain entry to the Canadian Market for any us company.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:06 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
The Canadian & US economy is not the best right now, retail sales data are not especially encouraging. The only few US retailers eyeing Canada are luxury retailers and those are planning very few locations, secondly the luxury market is underserved in Canada, but you won't see another massive arrival similar to Target for a very long time. The Canadian market will be saturated at some point. Sears is not necessarily the problem, the typical department store might just be.
In any event, if Sears Canada folds, we will have many large spaces in malls across Canada for many months, even years to come...
Sears might just be the next Woolworth's in the not too distant future, not tomorrow or next year, but someday, because I don't see the massive turnaround needed happening. Brands like Craftsman and especially Kenmore will live on as independent brands, as they are more valuable than the Sears name itself.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #317  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:26 PM
RR Drummer RR Drummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 210
Anything is possible although that could be a ways away. Sears has some great brands, just poor management and advertising in my opinion. Time will tell what happens. McAllister Place is in decent shape so they would attract a new anchor tenant should there be one out there looking to establish in Saint John, otherwise perhaps the space could be subdivided.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:45 AM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
CBC Video "sneak peek" at Saint John Target ☉

Target provides sneak peek at new Saint John store

http://cbc.sh/Y0g3KkZ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
Wolkenkratzerliebhab Wolkenkratzerliebhab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 334
Star Bucks & New Target

Crowds were large around noon in the new Saint John Target store. I was surprised to see that it has its own Star Bucks inside. Prices are more-or-less equal to Walmart. Nice store though.


Star Bucks in New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr


New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr


New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Crowds in New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
RR Drummer RR Drummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Crowds were large around noon in the new Saint John Target store. I was surprised to see that it has its own Star Bucks inside. Prices are more-or-less equal to Walmart. Nice store though.


Star Bucks in New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr


New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr


New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Crowds in New Target Saint John by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
I was in last night. It looked good. Not sure if they sold lots of stock or waiting for more but plenty of shelves were bare. Overall a decent design and a good flow. I'm expecting them to do well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.