Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
The TSN deal will deliver about $2.5 million in additional money to each team. The Roughriders had a profit of $ 4.5 million in 2012. Thus, the deal means a 55% increase in profits. That's hugely impactful.
|
Yes and no... It won't directly hit the profit-line. More money will probably be invested into other things, just like how the higher sponsorship levels and merch sales levels go to other initiatives. Remember that at the end of the day the Riders are a community owned not-for-profit team, so higher profit isn't exactly the goal in the same way that it would be for a private owner. I'm sure the players will also be looking for a boose to the salary cap with the infusion of cash (the current agreement expires at the end of this year I believe).
And I just said that it wasn't overly impactful, not that it wasn't at all. Of course every extra bit of money helps, but I think we can both agree that a boost of that much money is far more important to other teams that are closer to the break-even line than the Riders currently are (e.g. Ontario's teams). My opinion/answer would of course be very different though had this discussion come up pre-2005 or so.