The design of this prospective project seems to be getting worse...and shorter. Sutton & Company was so ambitious with their initial announcement...now, they've pulled way back. As I mentioned before, S&C has never developed such a project, and I believe they now recognize that they are neither all that ambitious nor have what it takes to build such a project. Who knows?!?
The design of this prospective project seems to be getting worse...and shorter. Sutton & Company was so ambitious with their initial announcement...now, they've pulled way back. As I mentioned before, S&C has never developed such a project, and I believe they now recognize that they are neither all that ambitious nor have what it takes to build such a project. Who knows?!?
S&C, the new Tom Stacy in town. These guys have been blowing smoke up Austin's 🞵🞵🞵 for at least two years.
Well like any other project... you get excited. You hope for the best. Nothing is a sure thing. I'm personally not digging the new designs as much as the last. God, what is wrong with me being all picky all of a sudden?
If this project is for real, it Feels like there is a liitle bit of "searching" going on to find a general aesthetic that the developers like. That, in and of itself is interesting. I tending to believe they "intend" on going forward because of all the re-investment in desing. There is a lot of effort. I say "intend" because I keep hearing from so many people how "inexperieced" they are...and all these shifts may be indicitive of that. All speculation on my part.
Personally I like parts of design 2 and 3. I love the base that has all the cool angles in 2, but the towers didn't do that much for me. And on design 3 I really like the tower on the lake side that feels like three large blocks..... but the bases are a "new modern generic" at this point. I would be happy to see either design built. Seems like this could shift again if it is actually going to happen. Will be fun to see!
I'm just not crazy about it. As BevoLJ said, it feels like an office park in some ways since it's cut off from everything else. Besides that, the designs just aren't doing it for me. They look dated already. The tallest tower to me looks like a combination of the Shoreline Plaza towers in Corpus Christi. I actually love those buildings, but they offer horrible street interaction. It also reminds me of Fort Worth's twin towers.
The problem is that the site itself only offers street access on two sides. If a single development is built there, it would have to to be semi-self contained and apart from most street activity. Hopefully there will be lots of action down at creekside once that project is completed. This would help bring life into the complex and make it feel more integrated with the fabric of downtown.
I understand that because of the layout of the site that not every building can front the street. I'm more just hoping that because one of their buildings doesn't face a a street and the other two have one or more sides that do not, I'm just hoping they don't carry on with that theme to the sides that do face the street. And really, even for the sides that don't face the street, I'm hoping they still include a lot of retail. That little circle driveway thing bugs me. I'd rather that space be used as an urban plaza with retail uses bordering it.