HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4121  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 12:41 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
A reminder: the reconvened public hearing for 2290 Main Street (the car lot at Main and 7th) is tomorrow at 6PM.

I'll be speaking in favour because I want more housing in Mount Pleasant, and this project is in danger of being shut down by the hyper-NIMBYs in my neighbourhood. It would really help if some of you could take the time to speak at the hearing or email your comments to [email protected]
I find it strange their shadow analysis includes nothing after 2 pm. Late afternoon/evening is when this building would have the most shadow impact on surrounding residences, which are largely to the East of it. Selective use of data?
     
     
  #4122  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:37 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
What's going to happen to that giant patch of land north of the new ECU, now that St. Pauls isnt building there?
Well, I'd say that's not happening in the same way that the UBC Skytrain line isn't happening. It's one election promise away from getting back on the drawing board.

It's inevitable IMO. St. Paul's isn't getting any younger, and population continues to densify in the downtown/False Creek area.
     
     
  #4123  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 3:39 PM
Smooth's Avatar
Smooth Smooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Well, I'd say that's not happening in the same way that the UBC Skytrain line isn't happening. It's one election promise away from getting back on the drawing board.

It's inevitable IMO. St. Paul's isn't getting any younger, and population continues to densify in the downtown/False Creek area.
I would guess that there is no rush to build a new St. Paul's Hospital there since Vancouver City Council is intent on removing the express access route into downtown. Also, I don't think we'll see much investment from the Liberals into Vancouver since the city cozied up to the NDP in the last election.
     
     
  #4124  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 5:19 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,734
I'm not sure I buy the election riding theory.

It will be interesting to see what's first on the spending list if/when the provincial government makes it out of deficit and some natural resource (gas) revenue begins to flow. My guess is that it will be infrastructure related rather than wage increases for unions.
     
     
  #4125  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 6:08 PM
Smooth's Avatar
Smooth Smooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm not sure I buy the election riding theory.

It will be interesting to see what's first on the spending list if/when the provincial government makes it out of deficit and some natural resource (gas) revenue begins to flow. My guess is that it will be infrastructure related rather than wage increases for unions.
I believe there are some politics that come into play with the allocation of infrastructure spending. For example, I highly doubt we will see the Millennium Line extension to UBC announced during this Liberal term now that Point Grey and Fairview both went NDP. What will likely happen there is that the Liberals will announce money for that project just before the next election and proceed with the project after the election (similar to what happened with the Massey Tunnel replacement).
     
     
  #4126  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
A reminder: the reconvened public hearing for 2290 Main Street (the car lot at Main and 7th) is tomorrow at 6PM.

I'll be speaking in favour because I want more housing in Mount Pleasant, and this project is in danger of being shut down by the hyper-NIMBYs in my neighbourhood. It would really help if some of you could take the time to speak at the hearing or email your comments to [email protected]
Just sent in a letter of support, hopefully more can do the same (or speak in support at tonights Public Hearing). While not groundbreaking, the design certainly raises the expectations of what should be expected of smaller developments.
     
     
  #4127  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 3:34 AM
quobobo quobobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,053
There were a lot of people speaking in favour of 2290 Main which was nice to see. In the end it was approved with only Carr opposing.
     
     
  #4128  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 10:49 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,731
^ Good to hear. Thanks for the update. That one slipped past me. I had intended to write Council a letter but life got busy.
     
     
  #4129  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 10:55 PM
Kapten Kapten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
There were a lot of people speaking in favour of 2290 Main which was nice to see. In the end it was approved with only Carr opposing.
I wonder why Carr was opposed?
     
     
  #4130  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:53 AM
quobobo quobobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapten View Post
I wonder why Carr was opposed?
You can watch her final comments here (near the end of the part 2 video) - it's kinda entertaining to watch her grandstand and try to launch into a rant about Vision before she gets cut off. She talks about how she really prioritizes feedback from people in the neighbourhood over feedback from outsiders (even though there were lots of people from Mount Pleasant speaking in support, including me, but I digress...) and she thinks that it violates the Mount Pleasant Community Plan.

She's been playing up her role as an anti-developer "neighbourhood advocate" lately, I think she really wants the NIMBY vote next election.

Not the first time I've said this, but it's depressing to see a Green Party member really lobby against additional housing in a temperate city with good transit.
     
     
  #4131  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:13 AM
Joat's Avatar
Joat Joat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
You can watch her final comments here (near the end of the part 2 video) - it's kinda entertaining to watch her grandstand and try to launch into a rant about Vision before she gets cut off. She talks about how she really prioritizes feedback from people in the neighbourhood over feedback from outsiders (even though there were lots of people from Mount Pleasant speaking in support, including me, but I digress...) and she thinks that it violates the Mount Pleasant Community Plan.

She's been playing up her role as an anti-developer "neighbourhood advocate" lately, I think she really wants the NIMBY vote next election.

Not the first time I've said this, but it's depressing to see a Green Party member really lobby against additional housing in a temperate city with good transit.
Good point. Hopefully she gets called out for her hypocrisy.

I would imagine that lots of these NIMBYs claim to be very pro-environment. It would be great if they were taken to task for their selfish anti density and anti environmental agenda!
     
     
  #4132  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 9:14 PM
Kapten Kapten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Good point. Hopefully she gets called out for her hypocrisy.

I would imagine that lots of these NIMBYs claim to be very pro-environment. It would be great if they were taken to task for their selfish anti density and anti environmental agenda!
I think she's also claimed that residential towers *aren't green*. There are a lot of problems with this claim (documented elsewhere), but the 7th/Main proposal was for a relatively short building. So if she's against towers and against midrises, is she only in favour of low-rise housing not exceeding 4 storeys? How is that "green" in a city growing this rapidly? I'm all in favour of adding density through a combination of low-rise, mid-rise, and high-rise housing forms, but all three types need to be on the table due to the rate of population growth. Furthermore, not every single-family homeowner *desires* to become a landlord via laneway suites and/or secondary suites, and the 'traditional' 4-storey wood-framed buildings can take a while to get built due to the frequent need to acquire multiple single-family houses for land assembly (towers and midrises usually replace surface lots or low-rise businesses); thus, it's taken quite a while to see low-rise and mid-rise housing develop on the Canada Line route south of King Edward.

On that note, however, there's one new development I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum: the new Empire at Queen Elizabeth Park. Its website is at http://www.empireqe.com .
     
     
  #4133  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 12:00 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Pics of Collection 45 - 8th and Main by me Saturday, Nov 2nd:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
     
     
  #4134  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 12:01 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Pic of the trellis on the new hydro substation on West 6th Ave, by me Saturday, Nov 2nd:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
     
     
  #4135  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 1:26 AM
Homeowner Homeowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pics of Collection 45 - 8th and Main by me Saturday, Nov 2nd:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The views from the upper floors looking north are going to be awesome.
     
     
  #4136  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 AM
Kapten Kapten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 104
It appears that construction is about to start on Renfrew Centre, the 7-storey office building next to Renfrew Skytrain station.

http://www.renfrewcentre.com
     
     
  #4137  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 AM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,731
^ That's good news. At one time I think that building was in the running for the Translink headquarters.
     
     
  #4138  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 5:34 AM
Kapten Kapten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ That's good news. At one time I think that building was in the running for the Translink headquarters.
Construction fencing, a trailer, and signage (Ventana Construction) now occupy the surface lot in front of the art institute.
     
     
  #4139  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 2:05 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
Vertical Forest Building: Vancouver Approves Modern Project
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/05/...g-vancouver_n_4215857.html#slide=3086972

Looking forward to this one!
     
     
  #4140  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:40 PM
nefc nefc is offline
envirogineer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 74
Does anyone know what's planned for the old Northwest Produce site at 730 Terminal? They have a development permit board up, but I can't find any information about the project on the interweb (or on this site). I haven't been able to get a close-up view of the sign - I've just read the DE# from the Skytrain.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.