Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
IMO, the entire OV is just so uninspiring with all the short stubbly cookie-cutter buildings built. Unlike the downtown view, I'm certainly not awed when I look at OV crossing Cambie bridge looking at the neighbourhood. What was the City thinking? It will certainly be a neighbourhood that people bypasses in the future, with no excitement and vibrancy whatsoever. Again this is just my opinion.
|
I believe that Canada House was an Arthur Erickson design (or at least incorporated his concepts), and its steel-sided buildings look like no other mid-rises in the lower mainland in terms of form or exterior building.
The OV is a component of the larger South East False Creek neighbourhood, which does include a number of towers up to 24 storeys. One of the most innovative buildings, from a design perspective, under construction in the Lower Mainland is Onni's Central development, which is part of SEFC. The neighbourhood also features some nice heritage restoration and re-use (Maynard's Block, Exchange, Salt Building, etc.), so I think there is a greater design variety present then you've acknowledged.
I think that the neighbourhood will prove to be vibrant in the long term:
* It features high-quality public space along and near the waterfront
* It includes "destination" retail/restaurant amenities not found elsewhere, including Legacy Liquor Store (one of the largest private liquor stores in the Lower Mainland) and the new Craft Beer Market. The new theatre space on W 1st, which is likely to be jointly occupied by Bard on the Beach and Artsclub, will also add to the area's vibrancy; given the state of the movie industry, live performance venues should prove more resilient in the years to come.