HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4881  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 7:13 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Very sketchy neighborhood, and Theatre Lofts is hardly an example to be proud of. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4882  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:15 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Very sketchy neighborhood, and Theatre Lofts is hardly an example to be proud of. Time will tell.
Oh, you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4883  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:34 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Theatre Lofts is hardly an example to be proud of. Time will tell.
Definitely agree with you on this one Keith.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4884  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:38 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Definitely agree with you on this one Keith.
Actually, I agree with that. Keith's endless negativity on the North End is starting to get almost predictably amusing, though.

This one looks like a modest step up from Theatre Lofts, but it's still not exactly architecture for the ages. (And given how cheaply put-together Theatre Lofts ended up, it doesn't bode well here.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4885  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:05 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I think the Theatre Lofts turned out well. Not great but nice for the neighbourhood.

This looks nice as well. It could turn out tacky but it has the potential to make the neighbourhood more pleasant looking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4886  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:47 PM
wackypacky's Avatar
wackypacky wackypacky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Very sketchy neighborhood, and Theatre Lofts is hardly an example to be proud of. Time will tell.

I know that I don't exactly bring anything to the table on the message board. I log on religiously like 10 times a day because I'm so interested in whats going on around the city and I think a lot of people on here have tons of knowledge and lots of interesting points of view ... [line removed] ... Would you mind naming a few developments/initiatives that you actually like for a change ... [line removed] ... End rant.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 24, 2013 at 4:16 AM. Reason: Personal Attack
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4887  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 1:15 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I know that I don't exactly bring anything to the table on the message board. I log on religiously like 10 times a day because I'm so interested in whats going on around the city and I think a lot of people on here have tons of knowledge and lots of interesting points of view, but Keith man you seriously need to keep all the negativity to yourself. You really seem to hate just about everything. Would you mind naming a few developments/initiatives that you actually like for a change and just keep all your negativity to yourself cause I really don't think anybody gives a **** about 99% of your posts. End rant.

[line removed]

I like lots of developments. GOOD developments. Not everything is, and we punch way above our weight in this town with bad design.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 24, 2013 at 4:13 AM. Reason: Personal Attack
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4888  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:08 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I know that I don't exactly bring anything to the table on the message board. I log on religiously like 10 times a day because I'm so interested in whats going on around the city and I think a lot of people on here have tons of knowledge and lots of interesting points of view, but Keith man you seriously need to keep all the negativity to yourself. You really seem to hate just about everything. Would you mind naming a few developments/initiatives that you actually like for a change and just keep all your negativity to yourself cause I really don't think anybody gives a **** about 99% of your posts. End rant.
Everyone is free to criticise developments. In fact, I hope to see more of your posts on this forum
We enjoy the traffic.

I do agree with you, though, that some people take it too far. I would recommend ignoring them (there is an ignore option) so that more of your free time is spent reading constructive, non-emotional, non-attention seeking material.

The vast majority of posters here bring quite a bit of substance to the table.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4889  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:30 AM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Actually, I agree with that. Keith's endless negativity on the North End is starting to get almost predictably amusing, though.
Yeah I specifically left out the half of Keith's quote mentioning the neighbourhood. Sure, the neighbourhood isn't the South End, but it's not exactly Baltimore à la "The Wire" either. I don't feel particularly unsafe in that area.

The developer doesn't seem to be alone in their thinking either. Polycorp seems to believe the circa $400k Q Lofts will sell, and they're even further up the street into "sketchy" territory.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4890  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:49 AM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Yeah I specifically left out the half of Keith's quote mentioning the neighbourhood. Sure, the neighbourhood isn't the South End, but it's not exactly Baltimore à la "The Wire" either. I don't feel particularly unsafe in that area.

The developer doesn't seem to be alone in their thinking either. Polycorp seems to believe the circa $400k Q Lofts will sell, and they're even further up the street into "sketchy" territory.
Check MLS for house prices too. Not quite ghetto territory--it ain't the North End of 1995 anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4891  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:20 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Just a friendly reminder to please avoid posting personal attacks. If you have issue with a forumer or a post please report the post using the option at the bottom of each post or p.m. a moderator. Alternatively as mentioned by RyeJay you can add people to your ignore list (available via your profile page).

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4892  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:42 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Everyone is free to criticise developments. In fact, I hope to see more of your posts on this forum
We enjoy the traffic.

I do agree with you, though, that some people take it too far. I would recommend ignoring them (there is an ignore option) so that more of your free time is spent reading constructive, non-emotional, non-attention seeking material.

The vast majority of posters here bring quite a bit of substance to the table.
Very good, positive post.

I think all views, both for and against a project or idea, bring something valuable to the table. Keith's posts, whether you agree with him or not, bring an opposing viewpoint which is often against the majority in this forum, but will often lead to more thorough and interesting discussion in the long run. The opposing viewpoint helps to deepen the discussion IMHO.

If the only posts allowed here were back-patting "attaboys" what would be the point of having a discussion?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4893  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:01 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Very good, positive post.

I think all views, both for and against a project or idea, bring something valuable to the table. Keith's posts, whether you agree with him or not, bring an opposing viewpoint which is often against the majority in this forum, but will often lead to more thorough and interesting discussion in the long run. The opposing viewpoint helps to deepen the discussion IMHO.

If the only posts allowed here were back-patting "attaboys" what would be the point of having a discussion?

Thank you for the compliment. It is appreciated.
I must disagree with you, however, on the worth of many of Keith's posts.

Many people on this forum bring opposing views: and these views are mostly non-ideological, non-emotional, and constructive.

When comments become a predictable parody, progress is hindered because readers get distracted, go off-topic, and are tempted to abandon the conversation entirely as the discussion becomes an endless war of words.

Of course there will always be people who have low tolerances for being disagreed with. I'm not at all suggesting we become an echo chamber of identical viewpoints. I am suggesting, strongly, that attention not be paid to attempts to transform constructive dialogue into close-minded, hateful rants.

If someone is truly upsetting you, don't freak out at them. Ignore them! This will free up your time to read other posts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4894  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:40 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Thank you for the compliment. It is appreciated.
I must disagree with you, however, on the worth of many of Keith's posts.

Many people on this forum bring opposing views: and these views are mostly non-ideological, non-emotional, and constructive.

When comments become a predictable parody, progress is hindered because readers get distracted, go off-topic, and are tempted to abandon the conversation entirely as the discussion becomes an endless war of words.

Of course there will always be people who have low tolerances for being disagreed with. I'm not at all suggesting we become an echo chamber of identical viewpoints. I am suggesting, strongly, that attention not be paid to attempts to transform constructive dialogue into close-minded, hateful rants.

If someone is truly upsetting you, don't freak out at them. Ignore them! This will free up your time to read other posts.
Well said. I see your point, but am guarded against completely disregarding everything posted by any particular participant because oftentimes if you read between the lines there is actually some poignant information contained within.

However, at the end of the day it's important to remember that although the discussion is generally interesting, informative, but sometimes heated and combative - it is only an internet forum and sometimes the best course of action is to simply walk away from the keyboard.

I firmly agree with your last point: heated exchanges will only escalate if more than one party participates. If we ignore those posts that offend us or simply don't respond to them they will end at that - everyone gets their say and the discussion remains on target. It is a challenge, though, as I can attest that I still struggle with it from time to time.

I am happy to see that the mods will step in when personal attacks occur, though, this alone will help to keep things civil.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4895  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 8:29 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Well said. I see your point, but am guarded against completely disregarding everything posted by any particular participant because oftentimes if you read between the lines there is actually some poignant information contained within.
It is actually not at all well said. What he is saying is exactly what you cautioned him about - essentially that he does not want any disagreement that runs counter to his rather unique view of the world. I have never agreed with any post of his that I can recall, so naturally I am going to disagree with him most of the time. Because he is usually wrong. He seems to have a rather thin skin, perhaps not surprising considering he is young and not well-seasoned in the ways of the world. But simply disregarding or ignoring views he does not understand because he has minimal life experience to appreciate them is hardly a way to grow and learn and mature.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4896  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 8:47 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
it is actually not at all well said. What he is saying is exactly what you cautioned him about - essentially that he does not want any disagreement that runs counter to his rather unique view of the world. I have never agreed with any post of his that i can recall, so naturally i am going to disagree with him most of the time. Because he is usually wrong. He seems to have a rather thin skin, perhaps not surprising considering he is young and not well-seasoned in the ways of the world. But simply disregarding or ignoring views he does not understand because he has minimal life experience to appreciate them is hardly a way to grow and learn and mature.
very well said!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4897  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 9:34 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Well said. I see your point, but am guarded against completely disregarding everything posted by any particular participant because oftentimes if you read between the lines there is actually some poignant information contained within.
I actually enjoy finding viewpoints with which I disagree. Debates are enjoyable; and ultimately I wish to refine my own understanding of the issues we discuss. We have many knowledgeable people who frequent this message board, all from different backgrounds. This enriches our conversations and benefits everyone. We're a very fortunate bunch.

That being said, when any user expresses their opinions as though they are entitled to their own facts, when any user is consistently shifting the focus away from the issue of the thread and is instead purposing their posts to provoke and insult other people visiting the page -- that sort of rigid, prolonged juvenile behaviour is something that I'm too old to waste time on.

None of us are all-knowing, folks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4898  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 5:05 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I actually enjoy finding viewpoints with which I disagree. Debates are enjoyable; and ultimately I wish to refine my own understanding of the issues we discuss. We have many knowledgeable people who frequent this message board, all from different backgrounds. This enriches our conversations and benefits everyone. We're a very fortunate bunch.

That being said, when any user expresses their opinions as though they are entitled to their own facts, when any user is consistently shifting the focus away from the issue of the thread and is instead purposing their posts to provoke and insult other people visiting the page -- that sort of rigid, prolonged juvenile behaviour is something that I'm too old to waste time on.

None of us are all-knowing, folks!
While you purport to be easy going, welcoming and reasonable, some of responses, particularly those directed to Keith have been anything but that. The tone of your recent posts have changed, hopefully there is a change in attitude. I should clarify that i often don't agree with Keith's views, but that's OK. I would also like to mention that the mods may step in when things get testy, but it sometimes seems that not all posters are treated equally and fairly, there is at times a bias, and for some folks their comments although over the line, get a passing grade. IMHO
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4899  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:38 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
A fence has gone up around the old H&R Block building on Rainie Dr. Demolition is imminent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4900  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 4:38 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is actually not at all well said.
I understand all your points, but I guess where I was going with this is that maybe we all can work a little harder to keep it civil and more "professional", myself included. Let's try to take the high road to keep the good information flowing and not bog it down with petty personal attacks. Not meaning you, specifically, but everybody.

I don't want this post to perpetuate this part of the thread, but rather want to close with it.

That said, I do enjoy reading everybody's input and opinions, whether I personally agree or not. Varying viewpoints keeps the discussion vibrant and rich, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.