Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky
It's interesting how many people feel the airport is a high-priority. I agree, but I think a lot of Calgary Transit insiders would not agree based on decisions made in the past 10 years (turning the NELRT away from the airport, citing current low ridership on the airport bus as a reason not to improve service, etc).
Building the SE/NCLRT with a spur line to from Aurora to YYC would be a killer line! Imagine being able to ride from SEton to YYC without a transfer. Got $8B?
|
Airport transit is always one of the transit aspects that people attach a halo on, thinking it is more important than it really is. Much like rails and subways.
Here, CT used to focus on the airport workers (you're right about the old guard insiders at Transit) as the main market -- although the NELRT is correctly going somewhere where there are riders to take it. The recent addition of the BRT is a step in the right direction, and some legibility/usability improvements may actually make it a worthwhile service, although that's another day.
But the public is mostly imagining either how nice airport transit might be (without the hassles), or thinking that "world class cities" have "trains to the airport" (and that buses could never suffice, for instance.)
Here's a reality check -- San Francisco has a decent quality (except for the seats, yuck) metro system, BART, that has 50% more ridership than we do -- 415,803 on a typical weekday as of September 2013. The train runs right to the airport; you can take a one-seat ride to the airport from downtown San Francisco (or Oakland, or even as far away as Pittsburg, which is 80 km by car!) and the stations downtown are well situated -- blocks from the Embarcadero and Ferry Terminal, from Union Square, the convention centre, MOMA, the cable car turnaround etc. It's a really good system as far as transit to the airport; I'd rate it in the top 5 of the 17 North American airports I've taken transit to. (Calgary is in the top 17.)
So BART is a high-quality transit service to the airport, BART carries 150% of the C-Train's passengers, and SFO has three times the passengers of YYC. What is the ridership? 7,150 people take BART to SFO on a September weekday, 1.8% of riders, and 20th out of 44 stations. (5,098 on Saturdays and 5,517 on Sundays - I'll say one thing; airports are 7-day generators.) Relative to our system and size, we might expect something in the 2,500-5,000 rider range per day, which is absolute peanuts -- weekday LRT ridership is 277,400. The additional ridership would probably be lower than that from the $130M Saddletowne extension.
Building rail to our airport is justifiable only if it's on the way somewhere else (and it isn't), or if we have money to burn (and we don't -- I'm not known as bullish on the SELRT, but I'd rank it waay higher than airport LRT), or if we are letting our egos drive our decisions, rather than our brains (I hope not).