HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11341  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:21 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I think the city is prime for a duck-boat style tourist bus. Does that count?
There have been plans for one - but I think the only boat ramp anywhere close to downtown is at Kits Point.
     
     
  #11342  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:39 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
How would banked corners be handled with a non concrete base?
It's called "superelevation", and it's used on gravel-ballasted rail track all over the world. See: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/5_inch_track_superelevation.jpg
     
     
  #11343  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:48 PM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Still might not be suitable for LIM but they could figure something out for the power rail, which could make a relatively inexpensive White Rock extension a possibility for the non-LIM Canada Line.
The LIM rests on the ties much the same as the rails. On concrete ties, they should be fine.

I read a study somewhere verifying ballasted LIM track. Finding it...
     
     
  #11344  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 10:25 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
     
     
  #11345  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 10:48 PM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
Hence why it ain't good for Automated trains
     
     
  #11346  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 11:08 PM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Hence why it ain't good for Automated trains
?
     
     
  #11347  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 12:09 AM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Hence why it ain't good for Automated trains
I don't think the issue is automation per se, I think the issue is (a) how well the track bed stands up to frequency of use (which I guess actually is related to automation because automation = higher frequency) and (b) the impact of required maintenance downtime, which is higher for a transit backbone than a traditional railway.
     
     
  #11348  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 12:34 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
Agreed with the above... also, an automated train built on the same trackbed would have the same fate anyway.

We're a little lucky that much of the mainline has the track tied down on concrete, although that in itself poses a few challenges of its own if the tracks have to be realigned a little and such.
     
     
  #11349  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:13 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
As a follow-up to the discussion, the Copenhagen Metro is automated and uses ballast on gravel, with an average operational speed of 40kph (max speed 80kph). Doesn't have any issues with operation.

• Video Link
     
     
  #11350  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:10 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
I am thinking longer maintenance windows which can't be done over-night etc.
     
     
  #11351  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:29 AM
Tfreder Tfreder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 225
Caught this on twitter today. This is the line up at surrey central for the 96 headed to guildford. I guess the 96 isn't doing too bad


source:twitter
     
     
  #11352  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 5:03 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
I guess they won't cancel it then. Now as for the 555…
     
     
  #11353  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 5:36 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
It was said a few months back that the 555 was holding steady... anyone want to attest to that?
     
     
  #11354  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:30 AM
logicbomb logicbomb is offline
Joshua B.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,228
xd_1771 made mentions of the signs. Guess they've worked!


Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
It was said a few months back that the 555 was holding steady... anyone want to attest to that?

If anything, the 555 needs to run every 7 minutes during peak hours! Keep in mind, this is without the stop at 156 ST!

Perhaps he meant the 595?
     
     
  #11355  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:42 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
Nope I meant the Portman Express. the 5 times I've taken it no more then 6 people on it.
     
     
  #11356  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:57 AM
logicbomb logicbomb is offline
Joshua B.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Nope I meant the Portman Express. the 5 times I've taken it no more then 6 people on it.
I've been left behind 2 out of the 6 times I've ridden it from Braid, though that's during rush hour.

Weekend and midday ridership could be better though, and this is where a stop at Guildford (156th) would really bolster ridership.

Last edited by logicbomb; Oct 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM.
     
     
  #11357  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 3:22 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Its being said, the service is being increased to every 9 minutes during peak, but frequency near both ends of the peak hours is being cut.
     
     
  #11358  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:58 PM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Its being said, the service is being increased to every 9 minutes during peak, but frequency near both ends of the peak hours is being cut.
I'm not sure if they should do that... Perhaps they can promote the start and end times of the buses better, like the 96?
     
     
  #11359  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:20 PM
xd_1771's Avatar
xd_1771 xd_1771 is offline
(daka_x)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metro Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
xd_1771 made mentions of the signs. Guess they've worked!
Yeah, I did a whole feature of them on my blog
96 B-Line Execution proves that TransLink listens

Nice to see! Mind if I add that picture to the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
If anything, the 555 needs to run every 7 minutes during peak hours! Keep in mind, this is without the stop at 156 ST!

Perhaps he meant the 595?
A short-turn service, doubling frequency from a future 156 St stop, is at this point pretty much something that really needs to be considered. I'm bringing forth a proposal to City Council on this soon. Such a service could also service the somewhat-neglected East Guildford Park & Ride at 160 St.

The MOTI is reviewing the stop proposal by Surrey at the moment, but neither MOTI or TransLink have committed funding, and Surrey cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Hence why it ain't good for Automated trains
By the way Mac Write, I don't know if you've been riding the SkyTrain lately.... but from my new vantage point near the SkyTrain in Burnaby, I have found the automated system's flexibility to be exceptional during the after 8PM periods when track work is being done. Not too long ago, I was riding into Metrotown and my train had to switch onto the eastbound track via the pocket track. An eastbound train actually passed by, full-speed, right as my westbound train was on the pocket track, literally SECONDS before my westbound train would have moved onto the eastbound track. Heck, just last night, I was on a westbound train again after 8PM, and the workers were right on the westbound track beside the pocket track, so close that if a window was open I could have reached out and touched them.

It surprised me, hugely, how our automatic train control system (Seltrac) is as flexible as this. If we ever had some sort of SkyTrain line using ballasted track, I'm certain that we would have the flexibility to do this one-side at a time and not require a full closure; i.e. similar to how it is being done today.
     
     
  #11360  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:26 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
A short-turn service, doubling frequency from a future 156 St stop, is at this point pretty much something that really needs to be considered. I'm bringing forth a proposal to City Council on this soon. Such a service could also service the somewhat-neglected East Guildford Park & Ride at 160 St.

The MOTI is reviewing the stop proposal by Surrey at the moment, but neither MOTI or TransLink have committed funding, and Surrey cannot.
If its a short-turn service then I think it would be easier to have a separate route from Guildford to Braid/Lougheed via the 152 St on-ramp. That would be easier and quicker to implement as no extra stop is needed, cheaper for TransLink because of the shorter distance and no need to extend bus routes to 156th, and probably higher ridership potential as there's more destinations on the 152nd than the 156th.

I keep thinking.. it would be nice if they extend the #375 to either Coquitlam or Braid/Lougheed via Hwy 1, and eventually upgrade it to a FTN or B-Line...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.