HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:39 AM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
You can't base transportation planning off of a few years of anomalous data owing to a global recession. Also, this makes no mention of Canada or Mexico for that matter. I was unable to find numbers of mileage in Canada for the last few years, but the litres of fuel sold year over year in Canada has continued to climb despite the recession: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/trade37a-eng.htm
While I agree with you, this also has to deal with an aging population. A lower portion of the population will be working due to the wave of boomers retiring.

I think a bigger factor that people aren't counting on is that EVs will lower the cost of driving, vastly reduce noise and eliminate most point sources of emissions. In an analysis I've done recently, an EV is already much cheaper than it's gas counterpart, as such I will be picking one up in the near future.

People always complain basically are noise, fumes and that it's — expensive to own a car in Vancouver. All 3 of those pretty much go out the window with decent EVs, that are coming down in price and will continue to do so.

The big issues that are left to address after that are the costs of parking, infrastructure and making sure that people get enough exercise as not to be a burden on the medical system.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.