HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8401  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 8:06 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
85 Harbour and 100 Adelaide as well as back filling existing space. Hudson Yard has nothing to do with Toronto.

Oxford Properties is owned by the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System with assets worth over 60 billion. Do you really think they would struggle to finance Oxford Place if it made financial sense to start construction and all approvals were in place despite major projects in Canada, the United States, and United Kingdom?
     
     
  #8402  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 8:50 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
85 Harbour and 100 Adelaide as well as back filling existing space. Hudson Yard has nothing to do with Toronto.

Oxford Properties is owned by the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System with assets worth over 60 billion. Do you really think they would struggle to finance Oxford Place if it made financial sense to start construction and all approvals were in place despite major projects in Canada, the United States, and United Kingdom?
I'm sure they can handle the financing of the project, I'm just stating why would they want to over-extend themselves and over expose themselves to additional market risk.

Just because they can move mountains, doesn't mean they have to move all the mountains, all at once. That's all I'm saying. One mountain range at a time.


Anyways...

I'm not trying to get into an arguement with a PHd/MBA in Finance and Economics, I'm sure you've got all the basis points of your arguement covered.
     
     
  #8403  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 2:03 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
You're implying they can handle it at the same time you're implying they can't handle it. It's no surprise since you continue to tie Toronto in with New York. Risk is concentrating all efforts on one market while ignoring others. Risk is overbuilding through speculation. Meeting demand in two entirely separate markets would be minimizes risk.
     
     
  #8404  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 2:17 AM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
a few weeks ago, I herd about mall space in Oxford place development.
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
     
     
  #8405  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 4:44 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Also hear that the Edmontonian is now 71 storeys, condo/office/hotel with mechanical parking.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #8406  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 5:50 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
I suggest a six year old proposal that continues to grow taller be refered to as a stinson and is in the best possible light a vision not befitting of this thread.

Cumberland has been changed to stale and the OMB approved 44 Eglinton with a height of 122 metres.A condition includes unknown increases in height and density if contributions are met
     
     
  #8407  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 10:14 PM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,383
^Which Cumberland is regarded as stale? #94 or the two towers at 37 Yorkville? Shame about 44 Eglinton and the severe height reduction.
     
     
  #8408  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 12:08 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
The Cumberland Terrace redevelopment. The only update we've had in a long time is a possible redesign of significantly taller towers.
     
     
  #8409  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 12:56 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Also hear that the Edmontonian is now 71 storeys, condo/office/hotel with mechanical parking.
That's crazy. Depending on the height of the office floors and the height of the roof element, that could make it taller than Toronto's Aura at 272 meters... because office floors are significantly higher than residential floors. I'm still of the opinion that the proposal wouldn't look good at all as the new tallest (by over 100 meters) building in Edmonton as its design is completely substandard... but wow, that height is seriously impressive. The tides are certainly changing for Edmonton. I'm sure we'll see at least one 200 meter tower there by 2020.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #8410  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 1:36 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Here's hoping Edmonton can sneak something taller than Calgary, at least for a little bit.
     
     
  #8411  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 2:25 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Cumberland Terrace redevelopment. The only update we've had in a long time is a possible redesign of significantly taller towers.
I see, thanks. Pity, that downgrade to "stale" status.
     
     
  #8412  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 2:37 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,383
Hmm, a bit of research seems to refute "stale" status for Cumberland Terrace. The project revision, with towers of 85 and 70 storeys, was made public in early July. Can it so soon be deemed dormant or dead in the water? I'm not an insider, so I don't know; I'm just asking. It seems to negate common sense.
     
     
  #8413  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:17 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
The release in July was the update I referenced I'm not confident the release was anything more than a study on different redevelopment opportunities. The renderings suggested the replacement of 2 Bloor which other sorces of suggested is staying put. The drawings were by aA which other sources contradict. It's too early with too many unknowns to add to the database.
     
     
  #8414  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:18 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
The release in July was the update I referenced. I'm not confident the release was anything more than a study on different redevelopment opportunities. The renderings suggested the replacement of 2 Bloor which other sorces of suggested is staying put. The drawings were by aA which other sources contradict. It's too early with too many unknowns to add to the database.
     
     
  #8415  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:23 AM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
E condos Phase 1 85% sold.
http://www.bazis.ca/econdos.html
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
     
     
  #8416  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:27 AM
uzi's Avatar
uzi uzi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,647
im really waiting for 45 bay street and 1 yorkville
__________________
RESPECT FOR EVERYONE
     
     
  #8417  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:38 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The release in July was the update I referenced I'm not confident the release was anything more than a study on different redevelopment opportunities. The renderings suggested the replacement of 2 Bloor which other sorces of suggested is staying put. The drawings were by aA which other sources contradict. It's too early with too many unknowns to add to the database.
Gotcha, thanks.
     
     
  #8418  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:09 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
im really waiting for 45 bay street and 1 yorkville
45 Bay is a few years away at best, but yeah it is the one in Toronto I'm most looking forward to as well. Though 50 Blood is giving it a run for its money
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #8419  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:31 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,135
A couple of 71 story mixed/use buildings in Calgary would work for me..... If it can be built in Edmonton.... why not. I'm wondering though, with the DT airport can they build something that tall in Edmonton?
     
     
  #8420  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:34 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
The downtown airport is closing, people talk about it on here all the time. That's why Edmonton is currently building The Pearl, because one of the runways is already shut down. It's also why Edmonton has been getting much taller proposals than usual over the last year and a half.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.