HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 6:49 AM

Governor Markham House in Pasadena

Pasadena Digital History

The Henry H. Markham House at 703 S. Pasadena Avenue in Pasadena. Markham served as California governor from 1891-1895. The picture is dated circa 1890. This neighborhood is now known as the Markham Place Historic District, on the National Register of Historic Places. Ironically, the Markham House itself was demolished in 1939. There are some remnants left from the past, however:

GSV

The retaining wall and stone posts were part of the Markham estate. The posts apparently came some time after the first photo was taken, and the retaining wall seems to have been redone at some point, but if you look at the curve of the driveway, you can see that it's the same property. Apparently the carriage house still stands on the site. You can't see it from the Google view, so I might have to go down there and walk by sometime.

Looks like the pooch is letting us know how he feels about the demolition of the Markham House.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I just came across this screen capture from a Laurel and Hardy movie from 1930 and became intrigued about what and where the triangular building in the background might be. The sign on the roof appears to be "LIKE RENT" but that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Michael Ryerson posted a similar shot with a wider view back in post #13166. He also explains the location. BTW. The roof sign says "WE SELL HOMES PAY LIKE RENT". See also BifRayRock's follow-up in post #13167, complete with a ground level shot of the location.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

U.S.C. Digital Library/California Historical Society.

Since there's so much to be seen in this image, I thought it could use some TLC and enlarging. (Be sure to pan right.)

The U.S.C. Digital Library page doesn't give a date, but the steelwork for General Hospital can be seen under construction in the far upper left, so someone here should be able to nail down the precise year.

Anyway, it's quite worthwhile to go the photo on the U.S.C. page and play with that enlargement slider. The view at 100% is pretty amazing.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4037/rec/19

Last edited by JScott; Aug 21, 2014 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Are they completely demolishing it? I thought they were going to incorporate the existing building into new larger one. Maybe just the facade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
What a bummer! I knew there was an addition planned but I had no idea they were gonna do so much to the original building.

Guess it's just gonna become another piece of the "urban Disneyland" experience now being created around Skid Row.
Yeah, only the façade is being saved. It's essentially just going to be a half-shell with a completely new building built inside of it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Did Russell Crowe actually film in a Roman Gasometer, or some 'ol gasometer off of Exposition Blvd?
It's not such a catchy title.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:42 PM

Marvellous !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Since there's so much to be seen in this image, I thought it could use some TLC and enlarging. (Be sure to pan right.)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4037/rec/19
Thanks Scott : this is one of the top ten photos of the thread ! And we had never seen the whole Aliso Street from San Pedro to beyond the bridge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM

Gasometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It's not such a catchy title.

I love it!

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:11 PM

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/34357/rec/4

1931 - Anyone else claim the name? (Clarence in '29 directory? http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...earch_doc=1887 )

Tough economy.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:40 PM

From the same collection. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/34357/rec/4

A hop, skip and a jump south of Hollywood High. 1446 N Highland. B&W dignified in 1931. Today, barn red paint.

http://a2.4ormat.com/vfs/57881/thumb...crop_94268.jpg

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
The Biltmore Is Still Nifty at 90

Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:00 am
By Donna Evans

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - Chances are, even if you’ve never walked into the Millennium Biltmore Hotel, you’ve caught a glimpse of it on TV or in the movies.

Drenched in history, the historical monument at Fifth Street and Grand Avenue is celebrating its 90th anniversary on Tuesday, Oct. 1. It’s a milestone for the oldest continuously operating upscale hotel in Downtown. Over the decades it has served presidents and celebrities, while also figuring into a story of infamous Los Angeles noir.

While the hotel features authentic gems such as an original 1923 astrological clock — it still keeps time today — the Biltmore also meets the needs of a modern clientele, said General Manager Wanda Chan, who took over in November. In addition to satisfying guests who stay in the 683 rooms, Chan points out a recent addition: the “War Room,” 3,040 square feet of office space outfitted with every gadget a business traveler or area professional may require, she said.

Another new addition relates to weddings, which is fitting considering that the hotel hosts 70-100 of them a year. Thus, the Biltmore launched a Wedding Lounge, the first of its kind in Downtown, Chan said. The space is the place for planning, and is outfitted with gobs of decor possibilities for the big day.

To mark the anniversary for the building known as the grande dame of Downtown hotels, the Biltmore is collecting stories from guests about their stays and experiences. A committee will select the best 90 stories and compile them in a book that will be placed in every guestroom, according to marketing manager Kendra Walker.

In an effort to drum up business, the hotel is offering what it terms the “Legendary 1923 Anniversary Package.” The $219 a night deal, which runs through Dec. 28, buys a room and breakfast for two in the hotel’s Smeraldi’s restaurant, along with some of the Biltmore’s touted macaroons and a keepsake featuring sketches from the 1920s.

Walking into one of the most filmed and photographed sections of the hotel, the Rendezvous Court, with its three-story Moorish plaster ceiling, Italian travertine stone walls and bronze and crystal chandeliers imported from Italy in 1923, doesn’t get old for Chan.

“I look around and think, ‘I get to work here,”’ she said during an interview last week.

Tour Through History

With a wide smile, banquet maître d’ Steve Eberhard more than shares his boss’ enthusiasm.

Eberhard began running about the hotel’s polished marble floors when he was a kid, and would come to work with his dad, Peter, who served as the maître d’ for eight years. In the nearly two decades that Steve Eberhard has held the same position, he has become an unofficial hotel historian, able to discourse on a variety of topics, including architectural details. For example, he eagerly and effortlessly pointed out the Spanish Baroque touches throughout the hotel, while identifying the two figures in front of the stairwell in the Rendezvous Court as Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture, and a Spanish conquistador named Balboa.

From there he jumped to Johnny Depp.

“We had some teenage girls hanging out there once kissing the marble,” he recalled, with a head shake, of an encounter in the Rendezvous Court. “I finally had to ask. It was because that’s where Johnny Depp stood in Blow.”

Other notable film and TV appearances include Bridesmaids, Wedding Crashers, The Dark Knight Rises, “Mad Men” and “The Newsroom.”

It hasn’t all been glitz and gleam, however. The Biltmore also gained notoriety as being the last place that aspiring actress Elizabeth Short was seen alive. She left the hotel one evening in 1947, and her ravaged body was found a few days later near the Coliseum. The case of The Black Dahlia remains unsolved.

The hotel has also been the headquarters of many notable events. President John F. Kennedy used it as his campaign headquarters for the 1960 Democratic National Convention. It is also where the International Olympic Committee set up shop for the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles.

Perhaps more interesting to Angelenos is the fact that in 1927, representatives of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decided in the Crystal Ballroom that members should be rewarded for their work. Legend has it the Oscar statuette was sketched on a Biltmore napkin. Eberhard noted that a common misconception is that the first Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Biltmore. In fact, it was at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. The first Oscars ceremony the Biltmore hosted was in 1931. It has hosted the awards nine times.

The Los Angeles Conservancy hosts tours of the hotel every Sunday at 2 p.m.

donna@downtownnews.com
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/t...9bb2963f4.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 4:09 PM

Violet Ray Gasoline The gas was dyed purple so consumers could distinguish the good stuff from the other stuff. Who knows how long the color stayed that way. Inspiration for Royal Purple oil, or mere marketing coincidence?

1930 - North Cahuenga and Hollywood Blvd. Bet a number of homes still exist, albeit shrouded in vegetation.

Difficulty viewing enlargements? Go Here:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../16858/rec/151

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 6:26 PM
Comfortably Numb

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:52 PM

Tanner cars

RE: The 1931 photo of "Tanner Limousines and Parlor Cars." In a biography of Joan Crawford is a description of Joan during a 1954 meltdown (probably drunken) during the making of "Johnny Guitar," when she got on a pay phone to somebody and yelled "I want a Tanner Car." Now I know what she was talking about. Guess she wanted to get the hell back to L.A.

Also, in reference to the excellent photo of Vintage Cahuenga north of Hollywood Blvd., there is a real-estate sign with just the word "Knolls" clearly visible. Anyone know what the rest of the sign would've said?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Also, in reference to the excellent photo of Vintage Cahuenga north of Hollywood Blvd., there is a real-estate sign with just the word "Knolls" clearly visible. Anyone know what the rest of the sign would've said?
It looks like "MAIN OFFICE" and "HOLLYWOOD KNOLLS". There are a couple of good maps of Hollywood Knolls at hollywoodknolls.org.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
1930 - North Cahuenga and Hollywood Blvd. Bet a number of homes still exist, albeit shrouded in vegetation.

Excellent photographs of the Violet Ray Station Tourmaline. I think it would be great fun to try and locate some of these houses.

By the way, I'm one of the poor slobs that can't see the enlarged usc photographs. On my screen they appear as indecipherable jigsaw puzzles. It's truly maddening. What I'm getting at, the images I am about to post may seem repetitious to those of you without that viewing problem. So bear with me please.

Here's a good view of the trio of houses that appear to the left of the gas station tower in photograph #1.

usc

-close-up of the nearest home. (I was hoping to see a house number) -is that Barbara Stanwyck in the upstairs window?

usc

-more homes, a real estate office for Hollywood Knolls and a small train stop.

usc

-a closer view of the real estate office and the Hollywood Way train stop (notice the railroad crossing sign partially behind the palm)

usc

-a billboard for Hollywood Knolls.

usc
Is that one of those history bell things or just a light? It looks a bit short, like the highway marker to it's left.
__

-here's an impressive home from photograph #2 (still no street number)

usc

Dinner on me at Chasen's for the first person to locate one of these homes.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
RE: The 1931 photo of "Tanner Limousines and Parlor Cars." In a biography of Joan Crawford is a description of Joan during a 1954 meltdown (probably drunken) during the making of "Johnny Guitar," when she got on a pay phone to somebody and yelled "I want a Tanner Car." Now I know what she was talking about. Guess she wanted to get the hell back to L.A.
Somewhere I recall seeing another photo of another office on 230 S Beaudry - an area long ago swallowed up by some Freeway named Harbor. Curious that the Directory lists Beaudry - Tanner as having a telephone number of Mutual 3111 (pictured on the Hollywood building.) The same directory lists the Hollywood number as Gladstone 3111. (?) It is also a shame that the building has lost its distinctive gingerbread accoutrements. Not my particular favorite, but its significance is clear when compared to its current plain-jane attire. Then there was the Pasadena location, below (Colorado 3111)

http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...doc=limousines

1931 - 5639 Sunset Blvd

Both 1931 Unknown locations. "Cain't see? Look here: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/17587

Pasadena?

1930 - 144 Colorado Blvd.
http://www.sepiatown.com/archives/im...3488_large.jpg

http://cimgroup.com/ViewImage.aspx?f...orado_blvd.jpg

Old Pasadena Syndicate Alley

1928 West Colorado Blvd.

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis.../id/227/rec/19

Circa '36. This is 139 Colorado. Tanner did not move, but for some unknown reason photo of Tanner's Black and White taxis was taken there instead of the shop at 144. (Probably wanted to confuse any ride-seeking gladiators, or wanted to promote inexpensive burgers and non-genetically modified seeds.)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:57 PM

Just back from some travels. Thanks for the kinds words and photos, ER. Dapperness almost makes those dang wing collars livable!

BTW, I found your series of photos on the Gold Cup Handicap to be quite fascinating. I'd no idea that they existed, but the period when they were in business certainly is a bullseye for this board. I need to keep a lookout for more info on them, perhaps a newspaper ad or article. It doesn't help that the real Gold Cup race takes up so much bandwidth in Google.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

By the way, I'm one of the poor slobs that can't see the enlarged usc photographs. On my screen they appear as indecipherable jigsaw puzzles. It's truly maddening. What I'm getting at, the images I am about to post may seem repetitious to those of you without that viewing problem. So bear with me please.

Thank you for bearing with the few of us that post enlargements - you can't see! Glad . at least you are able to work from the source.

I think I speak for several posters in welcoming better versions of those images. The detail on the gas tanks is easy to miss and deserves a big blow up to be fully appreciated!

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis.../id/393/rec/21

Last edited by Tourmaline; Oct 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I'd never heard of the the Ontra Cafeteria, and it's not like there was only one. There were five in L.A./Hollywood/Beverly Hills (plus one in Chicago).
There used to be a Clifton's location in Beverly Hills, too--and a J.J. Newberry's, quite a stark illustration of how different BH used to be. Then as now you had the high end retail and swank residential districts, but there also used to be more midmarket places too, like "family-style" restaurants (then called 'coffee shops') and dime stores. It was more like a typical small town of the era.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos