HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5281  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 10:19 PM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I've also thought of that. I hope that won't be the case. I have to wonder why the zig zag shape was scrapped. I really liked it. it would have made the building change lighting as the day went on.
One news article has a slightly different rendering and we think the zig zag is gone?? I dunno bout all of you, but I am going to go with the renderings shown on the website for the building as the most recent as it is....the website for the building.

http://111southmain.com/
     
     
  #5282  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:17 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
If you compare both the renderings from the Main Entrance of the Salt Palace View...You will see that In the new rendering, there are two half floors above the lobby before the building floors become full width. The Rendering on the website(original) shows four half width floors....those are pretty big differences to go from one rendering to another.

I also agree. I'm not a fan of the look when blinds are used in buildings of this sort
     
     
  #5283  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:11 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
If you compare both the renderings from the Main Entrance of the Salt Palace View...You will see that In the new rendering, there are two half floors above the lobby before the building floors become full width. The Rendering on the website(original) shows four half width floors....those are pretty big differences to go from one rendering to another.

I also agree. I'm not a fan of the look when blinds are used in buildings of this sort
Why are we calling this the "new one" though and the other the old one? Just because DesNews posted this one a day ago?? If we look at this rendering, it looks like the DesNews rendering with the accordion affect and looks like one of the first renderings we ever saw for the building....so my guess is DesNews rendering is actually an older one, not a newer one.
     
     
  #5284  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:56 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Guys, the accordion is still in. The Desnews rendering is just an updated rendering of the previous one from that angle. The quality is much better, and therefore, more presentable. Remember the initial reactions from the older version? It looked really dull and boring.
     
     
  #5285  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:45 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The church is on the corner with a lot of land around it. From the renderings, you see that the Hope Lodge goes all the way to the edge of the property on the west side and goes far beyond the church to the north.
So what's the problem? The church could easily be expanded if size is the only issue re functionality.


Quote:
Also, a building that old would cost more to retrofit than to build new.
Do you have anything concrete to back this up? Because I hear this excuse a lot, and often when it's not necessarily true. Adaptive re-use is very often cheaper than demolition + new construction. What are you using as a cutoff to declare this building "too old" to be cost-effective?
     
     
  #5286  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:58 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
SLtrib article:

Developer unveils plans for 24-story Salt Lake skyscraper

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56945533-79/main-salt-building-office.html.csp

111 Main » Next to Utah Performing Arts Center, it will house Class A office space and likely a white-cloth eatery.

There is no "magic number" for pre-leased occupancy, said leasing broker Chris Kirk, senior director of office & investments for Cushman & WakeField, but he feels confident that the industry standard commitment of 50 percent can be achieved soon and that they will break ground in 2014, with an eye toward opening in early 2016. Bingham says they have already had formal inquiries that would account for 40 percent of the building’s space.

Kirk thinks the timing is excellent. While 222 Main, which now features an occupancy rate of 85 percent, Kirk said, was built right during the depths of recession, today’s growing market is encouraging businesses to consider expansion or a move from suburban locations to downtown.

the building popularly known as the Montgomery Ward Building sits unoccupied after its final tenant, Bennion Jewelers, moved to 15 W. South Temple on Monday. Hamilton Partners is negotiating to finalize the purchase of the site, Bingham said.
     
     
  #5287  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:02 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Also, are we going to get that awful look of random/haphazard look of window curtains on all sides of the building? The design is so clean and transparent, but do you think the occupants are not going to pull down shades at random heights? Have any of you seen the backside of 222 with the haphazard look of the shades pulled down at different heights?
I used to think this way, but I've come to prefer the 'haphazard' blinds method to most of its alternatives. Other options (e.g. some double skinned facades, fixed slats, etc.) may be more attractive, but afford the occupants less control over their environment. Window coverings add so much flexibility to those inside. Much in the same way that operable windows might enable a messy look, but add so much in the way of efficiency and comfort to the building, it's easy to justify.
     
     
  #5288  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:13 AM
LookUpSLC's Avatar
LookUpSLC LookUpSLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SLC
Posts: 43
A Thought About the LDS Church and new Office Tower

This is completely without any basis, rumor, or factoid...but I was walking near Temple Square and the COB and started wondering IF and/or WHEN the Church might be ready to build a new Office tower to support it's worldwide growth.

I'm guessing Church membership back in the 60's, when the current COB was built, was around 4 M. At closer to 15 M now, I don't see how their current location handles that soze or amount of growth. Could the Church be considering building a tower to better serve it's size and growth?

And on that fantasy note, why wouldn't it be SLC's new tallest? I think a perfect space for it would be directly south of of the current COB, in between the Beehive/Lion House. 40 Stories? 50? Or better yet, why not follow one of the Quorum's names...70 stories.

Anyone in the know know of anyone talking about such a possibility?
     
     
  #5289  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:15 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Why are we calling this the "new one" though and the other the old one? Just because DesNews posted this one a day ago?? If we look at this rendering, it looks like the DesNews rendering with the accordion affect and looks like one of the first renderings we ever saw for the building....so my guess is DesNews rendering is actually an older one, not a newer one.
Your prob right.
     
     
  #5290  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:22 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
This is completely without any basis, rumor, or factoid...but I was walking near Temple Square and the COB and started wondering IF and/or WHEN the Church might be ready to build a new Office tower to support it's worldwide growth.

I'm guessing Church membership back in the 60's, when the current COB was built, was around 4 M. At closer to 15 M now, I don't see how their current location handles that soze or amount of growth. Could the Church be considering building a tower to better serve it's size and growth?

And on that fantasy note, why wouldn't it be SLC's new tallest? I think a perfect space for it would be directly south of of the current COB, in between the Beehive/Lion House. 40 Stories? 50? Or better yet, why not follow one of the Quorum's names...70 stories.

Anyone in the know know of anyone talking about such a possibility?
A COBII has been rumored for years, and been bandied about on these forums several times; another block adjacent to Temple Square, or the block directly east of Triad that's currently a big ol' parking lot. Currently many of the LDS Church's employees work at satellite locations--they have other buildings downtown and close-to-downtown, as well as buildings in the south part of the Salt Lake Valley (South Jordan/Herriman/Bluffdale/somewhere I don't recall).

I know there are many who would recoil in horror at the idea of having the Church once again having the tallest building in the city, and the perceived "no one can build taller than this" message that goes around the rumor mills afterward... Personally I'd like to see a COBII because it would reconfirm the LDS Church's commitment to downtown Salt Lake City (as opposed to the suburbs) and would hopefully be built on an underutilized block. I wouldn't want to see it on the site you proposed (between Joseph Smith Memorial Building and Lion House...not a lot of room there), but there are enough surface lots between the Triad Center and Temple Square that I believe the church already owns that they could certainly work with something there. And even though it would undoubtedly be another staid, conservative design...if it brings thousands more workers into the downtown core, and encourages other companies and towers to be built downtown, I say bring it.
     
     
  #5291  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:35 PM
LookUpSLC's Avatar
LookUpSLC LookUpSLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SLC
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
A COBII has been rumored for years, and been bandied about on these forums several times; another block adjacent to Temple Square, or the block directly east of Triad that's currently a big ol' parking lot. Currently many of the LDS Church's employees work at satellite locations--they have other buildings downtown and close-to-downtown, as well as buildings in the south part of the Salt Lake Valley (South Jordan/Herriman/Bluffdale/somewhere I don't recall).

I know there are many who would recoil in horror at the idea of having the Church once again having the tallest building in the city, and the perceived "no one can build taller than this" message that goes around the rumor mills afterward... Personally I'd like to see a COBII because it would reconfirm the LDS Church's commitment to downtown Salt Lake City (as opposed to the suburbs) and would hopefully be built on an underutilized block. I wouldn't want to see it on the site you proposed (between Joseph Smith Memorial Building and Lion House...not a lot of room there), but there are enough surface lots between the Triad Center and Temple Square that I believe the church already owns that they could certainly work with something there. And even though it would undoubtedly be another staid, conservative design...if it brings thousands more workers into the downtown core, and encourages other companies and towers to be built downtown, I say bring it.
Regarding your last note about another "staid, conservative design...", maybe not, or maybe not so fast. The Regent is a pretty nice design, and even 99 West has an appeal--I prefer the Regent but then I don't think I was ever the target for 99 West. And the design of CCC is truely amazing. I think Church leadership has taken a big step forward in their willingness to preserve it's historical buildings--as well as building "important" buildings for the future that have some substance. At least we can hope.

I'm OK with locations west of Temple Square...I just think replacing a few fountains and underground parking lot with a skyscraper looking down on the temple could be a good consolidated use of the space. No reason the Church can't take a lesson on desnity building.

Lets hope the Church gets an itch to expand, build up. and fast.
     
     
  #5292  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:44 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookUpSLC View Post
This is completely without any basis, rumor, or factoid...but I was walking near Temple Square and the COB and started wondering IF and/or WHEN the Church might be ready to build a new Office tower to support it's worldwide growth.

I'm guessing Church membership back in the 60's, when the current COB was built, was around 4 M. At closer to 15 M now, I don't see how their current location handles that soze or amount of growth. Could the Church be considering building a tower to better serve it's size and growth?

And on that fantasy note, why wouldn't it be SLC's new tallest? I think a perfect space for it would be directly south of of the current COB, in between the Beehive/Lion House. 40 Stories? 50? Or better yet, why not follow one of the Quorum's names...70 stories.

Anyone in the know know of anyone talking about such a possibility?
Even within the halls of the LDS Church Administration, the rumors of another COB circulate. However, I would also throw this into the hypothesis hopper. I work at the ROB (Riverton Office Building) where the vast majority of the IT services are housed. Our building was originally built by Intel with future plans for two additional 4-5 story buildings for the complex. Last month, our parking lot was expanded (insert screams of anguish here). The way they've extended the walkways/sidewalks it leads me to believe at least one additional building will be built out here eventually which will be a great relief to us here at the ROB (we're stuffed to the rafters here...). Now before all the car nazis start flaming, let me just say it wasn't that big of an expansion. I looks to be just about right to serve as a staging area for new construction to boot! Also, there are now dedicated buses that shuttle from Front Runner to the ROB and Riverton IHC for Davis and Utah county commuters that are being filled to capacity.

Will there be another COB downtown? I think it's likely. Especially with much of the infrastructure improvements my department has been enacting. I'll keep you posted!
     
     
  #5293  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:26 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
This is a bit off topic but I know a few may be interested. There will be at least 2 planner positions opening up at SLC in the next few weeks. More information will be on the city's website soon.
     
     
  #5294  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:36 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Do you think playing Sim City for two decades will qualify me for the job???
     
     
  #5295  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:01 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
This is a bit off topic but I know a few may be interested. There will be at least 2 planner positions opening up at SLC in the next few weeks. More information will be on the city's website soon.
Good to know, I will once again apply. Put in a good word for me.
     
     
  #5296  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:03 PM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
DesNews/Trib Render vs. Original Render


Last edited by H4vok; Oct 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM.
     
     
  #5297  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:14 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Would that be the same developer who built Seasons at City Creek on North Temple?
It is the same developer.. They are also doing one at 400 s and Denver street.. Same developer.
     
     
  #5298  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:41 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
It is the same developer.. They are also doing one at 400 s and Denver street.. Same developer.
Thanks for info. Where is Denver ST again?
     
     
  #5299  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:13 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Thanks for info. Where is Denver ST again?
about 450 e
     
     
  #5300  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:33 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
[QUOTE=H4vok;6287611]DesNews/Trib Render vs. Original Render



Sorry H4vok, I was working on adding the old rendering next to the new rendering while you were doing the same. I used your photo with the photo I had.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.