Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771
Wow, those are really awesome charts. Did you make those??
|
Thanks. I made the Vancouver one. I think I got some information from the Toronto one from nname. He's the local data nerd. Kudos to that!
There are a couple of reasons SkyTrain is faster. The two big ones:
- Linear Induction Motors accelerate faster
- Station spacing
I think I did a Canada Line one too, and remember it was somewhere in between Expo and TTC which validates the LIM argument.
If you have a trip computer on your car that calculates average speed, you will be shocked how much one 2 minute slowdown on the highway will affect your average speed, making the excessive 20 minutes of speeding 20km/h over the limit all worth nothing.
Stopping and starting also hugely affects fuel efficiency, which is why hybrid cars (which use the electric motor mostly when starting and stopping) get drastically better numbers in stop-and-go city traffic.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by memememe76
Maybe because it's older and the region has had more time to develop, but I don't think there's a section along the Expo line where I feel they should've added another station. I would probably say the same for Millennium Line.
|
It does have to do with development, for sure, but I agree that some stations
could've been placed better.
The biggest missing thing on the M-Line is a station at Woodlands between Columbia and Sapperton. It would serve the growing community there really well as well as connect by bus really well with a part of New West that is detached from downtown.
The station at Renfrew may have initially been better placed and more nicely integrated at Nanaimo (station called Trout Lake), given Renfrew's proximity to Rupert, but the technology center at Renfrew is growing and that area has more open space to develop.
Patterson might have been better at Kingsway or Boundary and then Royal Oak could be moved closer to Metrown to Nelson which would open up a gap to put in a station at Gilley.
And a station between 22nd and New West would be welcome as well, again because of the hills in New West and the awkwardness of the layout.