HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum  • Philadelphia Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9041  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:32 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Could someone explain to me what "expensive" is? Seems relative.

Bus to NYC - $10-15 bucks
Amtrak to NYC - $50-75 bucks
Fly - real expensive ($750 on a Monday)
Definitely agree. You can get a train to NYP for $39 right now if you go out more than two weeks. Round trip for $78 is nothing if you need to get anywhere during any time when another human is going to be on the road and get in your way. I mean, sure. You can pay more for a ticket, but you can always pay more for anything.

Considering the fact that ridership is up on tons of lines, even remote long-distance lines, I wish we could be like "Hey, let's work with this, obviously it's something people want" instead of CONSTANTLY being like "AGH NO SUBSIDIES EVER DIE AMTRAK". People are voting with their wallets to use trains more in a fairly nonpartisan way, and it disgusts me beyond belief that all we seem to be able to do is use it as a political tool.
     
     
  #9042  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:11 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
I didn't realize this was the train thread?
     
     
  #9043  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:03 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
I didn't realize this was the train thread?
You mean that it got derailed?
     
     
  #9044  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:27 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly fan View Post
you mean that it got derailed? :p
+1
     
     
  #9045  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:00 AM
SJPhillyBoy's Avatar
SJPhillyBoy SJPhillyBoy is offline
Hello
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SJ to Philly
Posts: 2,631
Did I miss the announcement of Philly's new tallest?
     
     
  #9046  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:50 AM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
not yet
     
     
  #9047  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:24 AM
aro1419's Avatar
aro1419 aro1419 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 317
I hate to be a negadelphian, but this will be very bad news for the region if it goes into effect:

Quote:
SEPTA has drafted a doomsday plan to eliminate 9 of its 13 rail lines and shorten two others, close a subway line, and convert trolley routes to bus lines, if the state doesn't come up with more money for public transit this year. SEPTA general manager Joseph Casey sent the plan to state transportation secretary Barry Schoch on Tuesday and laid it out for the state Senate Transportation Committee Thursday.. The "service realignment plan" would begin next year and continue slashing service until 2023, when the SEPTA system would be a shadow of its current self. SEPTA estimates the plan would cost it at least 40 million passengers a year, about 12 percent of its ridership.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/tr...s_doomsday_plan.html#SuKuKGtVQyqpiSmM.99
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/tr...nding__SEPTA_presents_doomsday_plan.html
     
     
  #9048  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:32 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
I hate to be a negadelphian, but this will be very bad news for the region if it goes into effect:


http://www.philly.com/philly/business/tr...nding__SEPTA_presents_doomsday_plan.html
Depressing. I'm not sure whose interest it's in to see this happen, except self-serving politicians who want to get re-elected. Philly is, if I've done my math right, a non-trivial economic engine for not only PA but South Jersey, and messing with people's ability to get to jobs and generally get around seems to do nothing but diminish the power of that engine. I feel like that's a pretty non-partisan truth, but maybe I'm insane.
     
     
  #9049  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:25 AM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Depressing. I'm not sure whose interest it's in to see this happen, except self-serving politicians who want to get re-elected. Philly is, if I've done my math right, a non-trivial economic engine for not only PA but South Jersey, and messing with people's ability to get to jobs and generally get around seems to do nothing but diminish the power of that engine. I feel like that's a pretty non-partisan truth, but maybe I'm insane.
It would be devastating to the region.
     
     
  #9050  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
The rumor mill churns again at Philly.com
Buzz Builds on Another Comcast Tower

Nothing new, just more talk about 'there are rumors'
Comcast is renting space around CC and needs more space.
Liberty owns the lots in question
The original Liberty plan included a 17-story building next to the Comcast Center but now experts think 17 stories is not enough to hold the overflow Comcast employees.
Norman Foster is the rumored architect
Liberty gave Foster a tour of the Navy Yard recently (interesting)


So more rumor, nothing confirmed but it seems promising.
     
     
  #9051  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePhilly View Post
The rumor mill churns again at Philly.com
Buzz Builds on Another Comcast Tower

Nothing new, just more talk about 'there are rumors'
Comcast is renting space around CC and needs more space.
Liberty owns the lots in question
The original Liberty plan included a 17-story building next to the Comcast Center but now experts think 17 stories is not enough to hold the overflow Comcast employees.
Norman Foster is the rumored architect
Liberty gave Foster a tour of the Navy Yard recently (interesting)


So more rumor, nothing confirmed but it seems promising.
Ha, beat me to putting this up by 10 minutes. What I love most (beyond the fact that this is now officially in the paper) is that Bradley Maule and, indirectly, Hidden City Phila, gets a shout out. The internet is now informing the "regular" news.
     
     
  #9052  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:14 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
Now I hear the word is that the Liberty people are pretty annoyed about the rumors and they've warned that everything in the media so far and in the next few weeks is/will be 'untrue'. "no deal has been finalized"

I don't know if I can wait a "few weeks" to hear some truths!!
I hope that some 23rd & Arch/Cherry news can get me through!
     
     
  #9053  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:24 PM
duffey's Avatar
duffey duffey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 74
The problem with all these news stories about it is that their only source is...this thread. It reminds me of the "what the bible says is true." "how do you know?" "because its in the bible" reasoning.
     
     
  #9054  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:24 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePhilly View Post
Now I hear the word is that the Liberty people are pretty annoyed about the rumors and they've warned that everything in the media so far and in the next few weeks is/will be 'untrue'. "no deal has been finalized"

I don't know if I can wait a "few weeks" to hear some truths!!
I hope that some 23rd & Arch/Cherry news can get me through!
They are pretty ticked.
     
     
  #9055  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:40 PM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePhilly View Post
Now I hear the word is that the Liberty people are pretty annoyed about the rumors and they've warned that everything in the media so far and in the next few weeks is/will be 'untrue'. "no deal has been finalized"

I don't know if I can wait a "few weeks" to hear some truths!!
I hope that some 23rd & Arch/Cherry news can get me through!
I wonder how upset Comcast is about the whole thing.

Last edited by Jelly Roll; Sep 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM.
     
     
  #9056  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:44 PM
blorkishdork blorkishdork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Passyunk Square
Posts: 384
I'm kind of confused why they are upset/annoyed or whatever, about the rumors? Are the details not worked out? Is it because it is ruining their surprise? and if so are they more annoyed at the people leaking the information (which I wouldn't be surprised about). I feel this is great publicity for them, everyone seems to be talking about them in the city. After saying it'll take weeks for the truth to come out, wait, they'll announce something Monday lol.

On a side note, in reference to the Inquirer's rumor article. I'm a little surprised that Liberty stopped marketing the 19th and arch building. It does make you wonder if maybe they scrapped that building all together as they will be developing a much greater amount of office space at 18th and arch and perhaps they can accommodate the other company(ies) at 18th and arch. The other obvious case is the 19th and arch lot would be part of Comcast-NBC. In which case that would be a ton of office space for Comcast... how much space do they need? In addition the article mentioned building two Pennsylvania plaza... so this could be as many as 4 buildings? and it obviously could be as few as none when all is said and done.

To say the least these rumors are keeping me glued to this thread lol.
     
     
  #9057  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:52 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
Well maybe there isn't a nbc/comcast bldg in planning at all and its just false rumors being made? The tone from liberty seems like it doesn't exist.
     
     
  #9058  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:54 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
I'm confused as to why LPT or Comcast would actually be upset by all this.

My only thinking would be twofold:

1) The deal is NOT inked officially and any leaked info just complicates final negotiations and agreements.

2) They are relocating A LOT of people--whether it's NBCU or Comcast or both--and having all these rumors swirling is not awesome for morale and is generally inconsiderate to the affected employees if proven true.

Or some combo of both--otherwise, why would they care?
     
     
  #9059  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:02 PM
Jelly Roll Jelly Roll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I'm confused as to why LPT or Comcast would actually be upset by all this.

My only thinking would be twofold:

1) The deal is NOT inked officially and any leaked info just complicates final negotiations and agreements.

2) They are relocating A LOT of people--whether it's NBCU or Comcast or both--and having all these rumors swirling is not awesome for morale and is generally inconsiderate to the affected employees if proven true.

Or some combo of both--otherwise, why would they care?
I think number 2 would be a major reason why.
     
     
  #9060  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:07 PM
ILovePhilly ILovePhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
2) They are relocating A LOT of people--whether it's NBCU or Comcast or both--and having all these rumors swirling is not awesome for morale and is generally inconsiderate to the affected employees if proven true.
This is my best guess. They can't have invited Norman Foster to tour the Navy Yard without thinking that it would get in the development rumorsphere and people would start to connect the dots. Like we've all said, the "Comcast needs room to grow when and where and what are they going to build" stuff has been going on since 2009. Add the purchase of NBC and everybody knew things would change. I doubt that these rumors are going to affect signings in a major way.

But I can tell you that from what my company did recently that ultimate top secrecy is necessary when relocating jobs. It was a major bombshell revelation and people freaked. FREAKED. Letting people stew on bad news before you actually announce it is never a good strategy. It breeds an environment of mistrust of "corporate" in the minds of people whose jobs are not moving well after the announcement.

Other than that I think that the rumors keeping people interested is probably good, generating positive mention of Comcast/NBC, elevating public opinion, etc. That's my two cents.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.