HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5181  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:00 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I cringe a little everytime I see the FrontRunner consists that they've been running pretty much since the Provo line opened with an old New Jersey car between the locomotive and the newer cars.

Agreed. Like a fake tooth in the middle of a row of teeth it does look out of place. Why must we have sloppy 2nds from other cities?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5182  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
So we complain about having higher fares than many other cities, and on the flip side we complain when UTA has made cost cutting purchases of, while not attractive, perfectly good transit coaches and trains?

Let me guess, the next complaint is that UTA will be using an S-70 train as for the Sugarhouse Streetcar line, instead of a trolley/streetcar looking vehicle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5183  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 3:22 AM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Another story most likely missed:

TRAX ridership up 27% for Utah-USU game
UTA » U. kicks off use of sports tickets for free all-day fare.


http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56804971-90/game-university-trax-football.html.csp

Quote:
The first time that University of Utah football tickets were also good all day for free transit fare, ridership on the Utah Transit Authority’s TRAX system was up by 27 percent compared to other days this week.

TRAX had 84,109 boardings on Thursday, the day of the football opener between the U. and Utah State University at Rice-Eccles Stadium, said UTA spokeswoman Erika Shubin.
I hope that this is the first of what will be increasing evidence that lower fares will encourage more to use transit.

I have personally asked my state Senator and Representative to allow for a transportation tax increase but with the restriction that a portion of the increase be directed to dropping fares by 50% to increase ridership. I do hope that they do place a restriction like this in the bill that will most likely come up this next session.

I also hope that this encourages other large groups/schools to do the same. Imagine extra buses between Provo Front Runner and BYU on game days. Even Weber State.

With this data and the subsequent data to come in, I hope that it will encourage a reduction of fares across all forms of transit to further encourage usage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5184  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 5:35 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
All of this talk about UTA using old cars or used cars from other cities. I just spent the weekend in Portland and they use many older light rail cars on their lines. If it isn't broke why spend more on new trains when the older ones still work and carry similar amount of people. Common, aren't we all about recycle and reuse around here. Want not waste not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5185  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 7:15 AM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
All of this talk about UTA using old cars or used cars from other cities. I just spent the weekend in Portland and they use many older light rail cars on their lines. If it isn't broke why spend more on new trains when the older ones still work and carry similar amount of people. Common, aren't we all about recycle and reuse around here. Want not waste not.
Excellent point. The older cars UTA has bought provides value for money. It allowed UTA to spend more on building new longer rail lines instead of spending more on brand new cars.

Bombardier BiLevel = $2.2 Million each
Ex-NJT Comet = $35 Thousand each then refurbishing them for approximately $400 Thousand each.

For the same amount of money, UTA could buy and refurbish 5 old Comets for 1 new Bombardier. Yes, 5 to 1. They bought 25 old Comets instead of 5 new Bombardiers. That''s value for money. An additional 20 new Bombardiers would have cost UTA $44 Million. Would you rather have that spend on more tracks and more new locomotives than on new cars?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5186  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:33 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Excellent point. The older cars UTA has bought provides value for money. It allowed UTA to spend more on building new longer rail lines instead of spending more on brand new cars.

Bombardier BiLevel = $2.2 Million each
Ex-NJT Comet = $35 Thousand each then refurbishing them for approximately $400 Thousand each.

For the same amount of money, UTA could buy and refurbish 5 old Comets for 1 new Bombardier. Yes, 5 to 1. They bought 25 old Comets instead of 5 new Bombardiers. That''s value for money. An additional 20 new Bombardiers would have cost UTA $44 Million. Would you rather have that spend on more tracks and more new locomotives than on new cars?
Those old NJT cars are rolling museums and very practical and cheap and well used. The AC works and they are typically quiet unlike the bombardier cars with tons of kids climbing on the seats. Every time I've ridden they are well used during commute time, typically full which I thought was the point of public transit. Further, at least to me they offer a much better ride than the bombardier cars. The latter seem prone to a lot of sway because of the higher center of gravity and height. But by all means put aesthetics over utility any day. :roll:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5187  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:00 PM
SLCMoosy SLCMoosy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
I'm surprised by the hatred of the Comet cars. I would always choose to ride in them vs the new Bombardier cars, given the choice. They're definitely more comfortable and I like the nostalgic feel of them (luggage racks!).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5188  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:20 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
I'm sorry this off topic, but I've got to say UTA really needs to do something to speed up the Red line from Courthouse to the Medical stop. I rode the train yesterday from Murray Northt to Medical, and it took an hour to get there (UTA says it should only take 45 minutes), but that was early morning rush hour, so I didn't think too much of it. But when I went back, the trip took an hour and twenty-five minutes (there was a scheduling issue with a train in front of us once we reached Courthouse). I noticed that what took the train so long were not the station stops, but rather the stop lights (we hit every single one on 4th S). My question is, what happened to UTA's ability to force lights? I remember the conductors used to be able to change a light when they were approaching, what gives?

With the talk of a new Black Line, I can only assume things will become far more congested on 400 S. Does anyone know how UTA plans to alleviate this impending mess?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5189  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:36 PM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
The schedule actually indicates it should take thirty-four minutes to get from Murray North to University Medical Center. So. . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5190  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 1:03 AM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
So we complain about having higher fares than many other cities, and on the flip side we complain when UTA has made cost cutting purchases of, while not attractive, perfectly good transit coaches and trains?

Let me guess, the next complaint is that UTA will be using an S-70 train as for the Sugarhouse Streetcar line, instead of a trolley/streetcar looking vehicle.
I don't hate the old cars or condemn UTA for using them, I just wish there was a way to run entire consists of the old cars, but understand that they can't.

I just think mixing 4 brand-new train cars with one that is 40 years old looks a little tacky- sort of like my aunt who completely remodeled her kitchen with granite and stainless steel, but still has a 25 year old beige fridge that they'll keep until it stops working completely...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5191  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 6:38 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I also hope that this encourages other large groups/schools to do the same. Imagine extra buses between Provo Front Runner and BYU on game days. Even Weber State.
This has been in the works ever since FrontRunner opened down south. Check out this exceptional service plan.

Thirty-minute service from 1 pm to 1 am? That's wonderful. The extra service will also be serving everything else going on this weekend downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5192  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 3:31 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
I just wanted to say that this week should see a large rise in the use of public transit for us. With all the events that are going on this week as well as the State Fare, we may see a record month for transit usage along the Wasatch Front.

With the Utah vs Utah State game increasing transit usage 27% for 1 day, I do think it would be possible to see close to a 30% increase for this week as well as a 20% increase for the rest of the month due to the State Fare.

UTA has already stated that the Trax trains should all be running 4 car trains for the rest of this week to deal with the increased people that will be attending events in and around the downtown area.

In total, there should be between 150K to 250k additional people downtown during this weekend for all of the events taking place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5193  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:20 PM
billbillbillbill billbillbillbill is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 167
http://www.letsrideuta.com/2013/09/05/s-line-unveiled/

Looks like the Sugarhouse Line will be called "The S Line".

I like the silver wrap on the trains.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5194  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
http://www.letsrideuta.com/2013/09/05/s-line-unveiled/

Looks like the Sugarhouse Line will be called "The S Line".

I like the silver wrap on the trains.
I really like this new trend. Trax lines have colors, Streetcar lines have letters. That will help differentiate the two types of transit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5195  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 12:09 AM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
This was posted on the SLC Mayor's Office Twitter feed: (livery for streetcar)



However, this one is slightly different compared to the one on the poster at the ceremony.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5196  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:29 PM
Boz's Avatar
Boz Boz is offline
of SLC
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Smells like Commie Clown farts in here
Posts: 255
Plenty of earth moving going on lately around the track for the streetcar at State St.

They've been testing the traffic light over the last few days. The other day I looked down the track while crossing in my car and I saw what appeared to be lights in the distance, similar to seeing TRAX lights coming toward you from far down the line.

Here's a quick phone pic from today around 3:00pm. It shows the piles of dirt they've recently made:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5197  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:40 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMoosy View Post
I'm surprised by the hatred of the Comet cars. I would always choose to ride in them vs the new Bombardier cars, given the choice. They're definitely more comfortable and I like the nostalgic feel of them (luggage racks!).
The overhead racks should be greatly appreciated by those planing to transfer to TRAX light rail to reach the airport.
I'm surprised they haven't already declared the old Comets to be the official "Quiet" cars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5198  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I don't hate the old cars or condemn UTA for using them, I just wish there was a way to run entire consists of the old cars, but understand that they can't.

I just think mixing 4 brand-new train cars with one that is 40 years old looks a little tacky- sort of like my aunt who completely remodeled her kitchen with granite and stainless steel, but still has a 25 year old beige fridge that they'll keep until it stops working completely...
Other commuter rail agencies mix and match. I'm including MBTA, MARC, NJT, and Metrolink. So, it isn't unusual.
I though UTA was planning to mix 3 brand new bilevel cars with 2 old comets to make a 5 car consist, not 4 with 1.

From what I can measure with Google Earth and its Tools, the shortest platform is around 480 feet. That should be long enough to handle a train of 5 cars 85 feet in length plus a locomotive.

Last edited by electricron; Sep 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5199  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:45 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Plenty of earth moving going on lately around the track for the streetcar at State St.

They've been testing the traffic light over the last few days. The other day I looked down the track while crossing in my car and I saw what appeared to be lights in the distance, similar to seeing TRAX lights coming toward you from far down the line.

Here's a quick phone pic from today around 3:00pm. It shows the piles of dirt they've recently made:
One interesting note about this section of the S Line is that when the area is redeveloped the track section between State and Main will actually be a street. Resulting in the Street care actually running in a street, similar to what it will eventually do on 11th East.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5200  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 5:14 AM
SLCdude's Avatar
SLCdude SLCdude is offline
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
One interesting note about this section of the S Line is that when the area is redeveloped the track section between State and Main will actually be a street. Resulting in the Street care actually running in a street, similar to what it will eventually do on 11th East.
This is news to me, but I love the idea! It's a great opportunity for development and mid-block connectivity. Good on ya, South Salt Lake!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.