HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #381  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:16 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
With that being said, why can't they do what they are doing with Tremblay station (and I believe Rideau station) and add a subtitle of "LeBreton" or "Chaudière" or "Booth"?!
From the Sun;

Quote:
Manconi said the city might look at attaching a wayfinding name, like its doing at Rideau station with ByWard Market and Tremblay station with Via Rail.

However, Manconi said "we have to be very respectful of Pimisi and its name" and there is no immediate plan for a wayfinding moniker.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/21/no-more-lebreton-pimisi-oked-as-lrt-station-name
     
     
  #382  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
To me it's not about honouring LeBreton or anyone else. The whole point of naming a transit station is to have a geographically accurate name; tell people where they are.

If you want to honour a person, aboriginals or whatever, by naming/renaming something, name streets/bridges (new or existing with a generic name) or buildings. Bloess suggested renaming one of the islands Pimisi, now that would had made sense.
I am more interested in the process of trying to reference a people or time before European settlement because it is part of this really interesting place and I find it doesn't get recognized that often. I guess it could be after as well with the Ahearn example I mentioned earlier - he was physically born in the LeBreton Flats area so that would both geographically relevant and interesting historically. Anyway, I don't want to defend Pimisi to the death because I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it and the anger it has brought out in people I have spoken with in general is a bit much I find. You bring up good points and it makes for interesting discussion
     
     
  #383  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 12:11 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
I guess I missed that article! Thanks for posting it!
     
     
  #384  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 12:17 AM
eemy's Avatar
eemy eemy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,425
I wish Ottawa had done what Montreal did when they built the metro and have different architects design each station. It would have been more expensive, but the results would have been far more spectacular and each station would be very distinctive. Unfortunately I'm not sure a scheme like that would work anymore with the way entire projects are tendered out to private consortiums.

In any case, it's a small regret - from what I can tell, the stations look quite nice all things considered.
     
     
  #385  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 2:49 PM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Wasn't it Thomas Ahearn and not LeBreton (if that is the case wouldn't Ahearn Station be better as a name then LeBreton especially when you consider that fact that Ahearn was also involved in establishing the Ottawa Electric Railway Company)? He is credited by some as inventing the first electric oven.

Regardless, don't we already have a LeBreton Street in Ottawa? There is a LeBreton Gallery in the Canadian War Museum, and then there is LeBreton Flats. I am not trying to diminish his achievements (his military activities are most interesting to me) but I feel like his name is recognized in this city. I do not believe that by changing the name of this station we are wiping this part of our history off the map.

This site has a rich and interesting history both before and after LeBreton. It is also of particular importance to the Algonquin people so why not include them in this process. I don't see the problem with Pimisi as a name and as I said before, I really do not get all of the outrage.
I was referencing Ahearn. Canada's Edison. It's too bad so few people know about him. Technological achievements that have benefited the world don't seem like a thing Ottawa wants to recognize. And Lebreton Flats was a hotbed of technology and innovation.

But, it wasn't the government's doing (private labourers tinkering - oh no!), and it's not about culture, so it doesn't fit the 'functional museum' thing Ottawa and the NCC has been trying to build for 60 years.
     
     
  #386  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 2:53 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
From the Sun;



http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/21/no-more-lebreton-pimisi-oked-as-lrt-station-name

However, Manconi said "we have to be very respectful of Pimisi and its name" and there is no immediate plan for a wayfinding moniker.
I have to say when I read this the expression "PC CHILL" popped into my head immediately. Sadly.
     
     
  #387  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:13 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,243
Is there a street in Ottawa named Pimisi anywhere? Someone else mentioned that some legitimacy could be gained by renaming an orphaned Wellington Street section as Pimisi Street...
     
     
  #388  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:32 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Is there a street in Ottawa named Pimisi anywhere? Someone else mentioned that some legitimacy could be gained by renaming an orphaned Wellington Street section as Pimisi Street...
I don't believe so. Renaming that random Wellington would help somewhat, but LeBreton or Booth would still make way more sense. They'll have to pile on and name a future condo or office tower "Pimisi" IMO.
     
     
  #389  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:13 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is online now
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,702
I suppose the park could be renamed Pimisi Park.

Personally I think J.R. Booth deserves the honour of the station name. Not only did he own much of the lumber yards in LeBreton Flats during its heydays, he was also responsible for the Canada Atlantic Railway which used run through the Flats.

Canada Atlantic Railway yards in 1893. I think that's Christchurch on Sparks in the distance:


Booth Street used to be called Bridge Street, and Canada Atlantic Railway used to have a station there, probably right where the LRT station is:
     
     
  #390  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:49 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I suppose the park could be renamed Pimisi Park.

Personally I think J.R. Booth deserves the honour of the station name. Not only did he own much of the lumber yards in LeBreton Flats during its heydays, he was also responsible for the Canada Atlantic Railway which used run through the Flats.
Bluesfest Park or the one between the condos and escarpment?

I would have been fine with Booth station since the station will be under Booth, a main artery. Also, Booth did a lot to build Ottawa into a world class city with his lumber factories, high quality office buildings (Transportation, Jackson, Booth Building...) and I'm sure a whole lot more I don't know about.

If anything the theme of LeBreton station should have been "Ottawa's Lumber Industry".
     
     
  #391  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:32 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I wish Ottawa had done what Montreal did when they built the metro and have different architects design each station. It would have been more expensive
Why would it have to be more expensive?

Dear architect:

Here's your budget. Be original, and don't 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
     
     
  #392  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:36 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
The cynical part of me half expects the gutless bunch to turn Billings Bridge Station into Slutwalk Station and convert Bayshore to Idle No More Station.
Next stop: Slutwalk. Prochain arrêt : Défilé des plottes.
     
     
  #393  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Apparently the NCC is getting on OC Transpo's case because Tunney's Pasture is not a bilingual name. And the city is telling them to take a hike.

FYI I do not think I have never heard a francophone say ''Pré Tunney'', though I've seen it written down of course. And I speak French 95% of the time or more living and working where I do.
     
     
  #394  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:16 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
Shouldn't Bayview be renamed "Bayview/Vue sur la Baie"? And maybe we should use the English pronunciation of Saint instead of "san" to make sure no one is offended that we switched the punctuation to the French version.
     
     
  #395  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:20 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is online now
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,702
Tunney's Pasture = Pimisi West/Ouest
Bayview = Pimisi Centre
LeBreton = Pimisi East/Est

Problem solved!
     
     
  #396  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 5:03 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Tunney's Pasture = Pimisi West/Ouest
Bayview = Pimisi Centre
LeBreton = Pimisi East/Est

Problem solved!
Correction;

Bayview = Centre Pimisi Center


Seriously, Tunney's should be Holland which might also promote the fact that it is near Wellington West and Holland, an actual all around destination, not just a big, bland, boring, grassy government campus.

If they want honour the damn Algonquins with Pimisi with a name on a transit station (again, makes no sense; transit station=geographically significant name, this is not rocket science, it is the most logical, no arguments needed thing ever), it should be Bayview that gets a name change since it has most generic name on the Confederation Line.
     
     
  #397  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 7:26 PM
S-Man S-Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,639
Definitely a stand-in placeholder for a former, polluted railyard is a better candidate for renaming than what was once a thriving community/centre of industry/innovation.

I wouldn't have minded the name Booth, either ("what a silly thing to name a station!" - Jim 'I'm a Reasonable Guy Until I'm Not' Watson).

J.R. Booth was the Elon Musk of his day, and did indeed help modernize (prosperitize(?)) Ottawa in the latter half of the 18th century.

As for Tunney's, who cares about what the NCC thinks. The Gatineau workers who jam the scenic vibrating grass parkway every morning and night know where they work.
     
     
  #398  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:45 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Why does the NCC have a say or think it has a say in this?
     
     
  #399  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:05 AM
citizen j's Avatar
citizen j citizen j is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
If they're looking for something bilingual, perhaps the city could rename Tunney's Pasture to pay homage to its symbiotic relationship with the federal government and its crown corporations like the NCC. Douche is an option. Or perhaps they're thinking of holding onto that name for one of the stations further west along the contested route between Dominion and Lincoln Fields.
     
     
  #400  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:03 PM
gjhall's Avatar
gjhall gjhall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why does the NCC have a say or think it has a say in this?
Use of federal lands & federal funding, I would think.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.