All I can say is why? why? why? Extending VMP south is just a bad joke. It should be extended northwest to better service the city, not south into some cornfields. As I've shown before we still have ample undeveloped land with highway frontage NORTH of the 401.
A southern VMP extension really does not make sense, at this point going north first as well as adding interchanges along VMP seem like a much more logical "next step".
Industrial activity is waning, both in SW Ontario and Canada, generally. building more dedicated infrastructure to spread out over diminishing activity is beyond asinine, and generally an extremely unproductive use of scarce funds). Oh well, the thinking here has always been 20 years behind the times, as evidenced by allowing commercial establishments with their —-end facing the streets.
The Wonderland Road interchange is in full swing, signs are placed all over the 401 and you can see construction has started on both sides of the 401. There is a backhoe sitting on the south side.
Signs say it will be completed for fall 2015, which is faster than I expected.
Quite the project indeed. The part that amazes me is that Wonderland interchange is going to be an underpass, which is will be a challenge to built while continuing to have the 401 operating the whole time. Glad its finally getting built, not being announced for the 12th time...
Glad its finally getting built, not being announced for the 12th time...
Seriously, the Wonderland Interchange has been announced that many times.
Overpass!
Bigger overpass!
Curved overpass!
Underpass!
Parclo A4!
Parclo A2!
Link up existing roads!
Relocate existing roads!
EA for birds!
EA for watershed!
6 lanes!
4 lanes!
Maybe it will enhance more commercial or even residential growth in the area.
I don't think this really the right thread but this does bring up the debate as to why London over the past 20 years has seen most of it's growth on the North End.
The North end is nice and prosperous but so is Lambeth and Thomas Talbot. South London gets a lot less snow than the North. As an example, St.Thomas gets 75cm less snow than London Airport does..............that is a REALLY big difference. Getting to Tor/Wind/Kit/Ham is a lot faster living in the South end than the North and the countryside is pretty.
I don't want to hijack this and if someone wants to move this over to another thread then go for it but I have always wondered why London has geared North over the last 20 years.
UWO is a big part of any explanation. Profs/staff want to live adjacent to UWO. These are good paying jobs, which means demand for upscale housing. Which drives commercial development. Which in turn makes the area more desirable. and so forth. NW London is a sort of anti EoA.
I know all about the E.ofA. thing. When I was growing up even the idea of going east of Adelaide was ridiculous. Only time you did it was if you had to get to the airport or once ever September to go to the Western fair.
Thing is though, in the 70s and 80s much of the growth was in the southern ends like Westmount and White Oaks. UWO has always been there but the North never grew in the 70s til Masonville opened. I don't think there was a single house go up in the North for the entire 72 to 82 period. The closest growth area was Sherwood Forest.
I don't like White Oaks too much but Westmount/Byron/Lambeth are quite nice and well to do and considering that the Guy Lombardo only opened in the late 70s, you would think UWO would have been even more accessible than before. Same with the opening of the 402 in the 80s.
White hills area looks to be about 40+ years old. As well as parts north of Gainsburger and east of Aldersbrook. I'd rather be in NW London than almost any other district. I just bought my second home in the area (close to Ungers). Byron is nice, but the traffic to get to UWO in the morning is not.
I don't suppose they are going to make Wonderland 4 lanes to the 401 or are they planning that at the same time as they build the ever elusive ring-road?
Seeing they are going to have to upgrade Wonderland anyway, will it also be upgraded to St.Thomas?
I saw some proposal for a 6 lane boulevard entry to the city with trees in the middle. Don't remember where to find that though. I doubt it'll go to St. Thomas either way
Apparently half of the 401 overpass is being built at Littlewood and Tempo Road.
There was a plan to see Wonderland 6 laned to the 401, but now it's been changed to 6 lanes to the 402 and 4 to the 401. Wonderland will need a wider overpass at the 402 to accommodate widening south of it.
I was out Wonderland south the other day and was wondering why this is really needed. You can already access the 401 via the 402. I would rather see this money spent "in" the city.
I was out Wonderland south the other day and was wondering why this is really needed. You can already access the 401 via the 402. I would rather see this money spent "in" the city.
Can't access 401 west from 402. People have to detour to Highway 4 to use that, and since the 401 is diagonal it does add a lot of time to the trip.