HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4861  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:02 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Yeah, condos near Gateway would be aweome. The east side of state street is pretty lacking of any real buildings. With Harmons close by, small condos would fit nicely. Because there is a height limit in DC, every building has an interesting design to keep the streets attractive. Although many buildings are very similar, each one has something unique.
     
     
  #4862  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:57 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Having worked in DC since 2003, I can say that Washington's architecture and growth has exploded tremendously in that recent time. It's a nice blend of historic preserved and restored buildings with modern Class A office structures being built.

As Toys mentioned, with the height limit, everything looks uniform... But take a closer look, and each building is it's own.

Don't move here, though. It's not cheap.
     
     
  #4863  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
Having worked in DC since 2003, I can say that Washington's architecture and growth has exploded tremendously in that recent time. It's a nice blend of historic preserved and restored buildings with modern Class A office structures being built.

As Toys mentioned, with the height limit, everything looks uniform... But take a closer look, and each building is it's own.

Don't move here, though. It's not cheap.
Wow just how many DC folk do we have here now? haha Maybe everyone should come visit us for the meet and greet.
     
     
  #4864  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:21 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
so slow

What's up with no development news of late? This thread seems to be so slow.
     
     
  #4865  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:41 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,107
Some news for SLC:

Container company opening Utah office, adding 300 new jobs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86558...ing-Utah-office-adding-300-new-jobs.html

Quote:

SALT LAKE CITY — The Governor’s Office of Economic Development announced Friday that OOCL Inc., an international container shipping and logistics company with world headquarters in Hong Kong, will open a Utah-based office.

OOCL will be establishing an integrated management and service center for its North American business. The company is expected to relocate and/or hire 300 management and professionals in Salt Lake City, offering competitive salaries in line with the industry, which will be at least 125 percent above the county’s average annual wage including benefits over a 20-year period.

Throughout the life span of the agreement with the state, OOCL will pay in excess of $500 million in new state wages and more than $19 million in new state taxes. The GOED Board of Directors approved a $4.8 million Economic Development Tax Increment Finance, post-performance refundable tax credit, a well as a $953,961 IAF grant to offset any cost associated with the move — which the company can earn or 30 percent of the net taxes paid by the company over the lifetime of the incentive.

“We live in a time of global economy, where partnerships with overseas companies are beneficial to the business environment,” said Gov. Gary Herbert. “The opening of the OOCL office in Utah demonstrates Utah’s commitment to doing business on a global scale.”
In other news, the new location for t brown printing is getting its stucco exterior and the Goodyear on the corner of 4th and West Temple is getting staged for demolition.

Progress is happening at the Capital Theater expansion as well, although, I didn't see much this morning.

Sorry about no pictures but this was as I came into work this morning. I will try to grab some images tomorrow with my phone.
     
     
  #4866  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 7:48 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Here is a map that shows just how segregated Salt Lake City really is:

     
     
  #4867  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 8:06 PM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Here is a map that shows just how segregated Salt Lake City really is:

I shared this with a friend and they were interested in the source... do you mind sharing?
__________________
If people were all meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters.
     
     
  #4868  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 8:37 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
     
     
  #4869  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:32 AM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
I have been tagging along with my friend who has been searching for a small one bedroom or studio downtown and was surprised to see how many of the new developments are income restricted. The other, smaller percentage is luxury apartments.

I am glad there are affordable places downtown, but I wish there was something affordable for those that fall somewhere between low and high income. I am wish there were more of a range in the middle. I think you need residents with disposable income to shop, eat out and enjoy the arts- not people who use these apartments for visiting clients or as a second home.
     
     
  #4870  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:55 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
I understand the huge Asian population in Fort Douglas and university housing, but what is with the red block near the bottom of the map?
     
     
  #4871  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:02 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I understand the huge Asian population in Fort Douglas and university housing, but what is with the red block near the bottom of the map?
China Town on state?, maybe.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4872  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:04 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
China Town on state?, maybe.
No, it is the block near 5th East and Haven (2250 ish South). Liberty Park and Sugarhouse Park are both big holes and if you follow those two, you get roughly to that intersection. There is a bunch of apartments there, but why it is almost entirely occupied by Asians, I don't know.
     
     
  #4873  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 6:21 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
Good stuff here about the improvements on 300 West between N. Temple and Beck Street.

http://www.slcrda.com/marmalade/MarmaladeBlockRFQ/300WestStreetRoadwayImprovementsConceptPlan.pdf

Trees in the median! So happy for this. More "boulevardy."

Also, the construction of the Marmalade block and library should begin this fall and developers for phases 2-4 are being considered by RDA.
http://www.slcrda.com/marmalade/
Seems like a nice plan.. I think its either dead or a long way off though.. They have been ripping the existing low medians out of 300 west and just paving over the whole street using painted medians instead.. Maybe its just a transition :/ hopefully.

300 west has needed help for a long time.. I always thought it would be nice to put big gras islands on the street like on 200 west and cut it down to 1 lane in each direction.. That plan would be better then what we have now though.. It just doesn't look like that is what is happening

I will give it a closer look.

Also the subway on 300 west and n temple is being replaced with "your neighborhood sandwich shop".. Or something like that
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #4874  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 6:29 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Yep looks like the current 300 west thing is transitional.. I found this.

Main construction will take place in 2014

http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2013/BOD/04913/10A300WRoadwayImprovements.pdf
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #4875  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:49 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc801 View Post
No, it is the block near 5th East and Haven (2250 ish South). Liberty Park and Sugarhouse Park are both big holes and if you follow those two, you get roughly to that intersection. There is a bunch of apartments there, but why it is almost entirely occupied by Asians, I don't know.
Most the residents there are Muslims from the Middle East/Asia area and were brought here as refugees by certain organizations. It's not a huge complex, but I'm guessing most the people there are from Asian countries.

It's also the apartment where Hser Nay Moo, the 7 year old girl, was murdered a few years ago. I pass by that apartment a lot on the way to St. Ann's and often see kids and adults returning home from work/school and they're almost entirely Muslim/Asian.
     
     
  #4876  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:22 AM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Here is a map that shows just how segregated Salt Lake City really is:

Sad, I didn't think it was really that bad.
     
     
  #4877  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:37 PM
sock puppet's Avatar
sock puppet sock puppet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Seems like a nice plan.. I think its either dead or a long way off though.. They have been ripping the existing low medians out of 300 west and just paving over the whole street using painted medians instead.. Maybe its just a transition :/ hopefully.
I worried the same thing...but it seems transitional. They made some cut-outs in the road yesterday. Today they are inserting rebar into the median area of 300 N and 400 N as I write this. This has been a very fast moving project. Glad to see it.

I edited my reply slightly as I just read the RDA meeting note from 04/09/13. The more current information about this doesn't jive with them. Confused...
     
     
  #4878  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:23 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Some news for SLC:

Container company opening Utah office, adding 300 new jobs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86558...ing-Utah-office-adding-300-new-jobs.html
Hopefully these offices end up downtown. At first I assumed it was a warehouse or manufacturing plant but it kind of sounds like it is office jobs.
     
     
  #4879  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:35 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Hopefully these offices end up downtown. At first I assumed it was a warehouse or manufacturing plant but it kind of sounds like it is office jobs.
That is my hope too.

If they move into 222, that would give us the 85% leased rate that was published recently.

I do think that this is a good sign that SLC is stepping into the global arena for office locations. Hopefully this will make other international companies look to the SLC area for their offices including maybe some North American HQ's or significant regional offices.
     
     
  #4880  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I was out and about earlier this afternoon and I was just going to point out two multi-family residential deveopments that are getting close to completion. The development on 400 East and about 150 South is almost completed on the exterior. I don't personally like the orange panels used but I think some on the forum will like them.

I also drove by the Cowboy Partners development west of the Gateway. It is also getting close to a completed exterior and despite the consistent claim about Cowboy Parters, I don't think that I saw any stucco.

Lastly, the La Porte Group were at the RDA meeting this afternoon to discuss their project. They are requesting an extension on their RDA loans for one more year. They cited many reasons for delay but most of them were regarding weather and utility related. There is more information at the RDA's website: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2013/BOD/082013/082013agn.pdf
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.