[QUOTE=officedweller;6223274]BIV commentary says Bay downtown is best location for Saks 5th Ave. with an Off 5th on the SkyTrain Level (with comments from Retail-Insider).
Here's my preference:
Note that there already is a 2nd escalator in the downtown Bay store in the NE corner - from SkyTrain concourse but only up to level 2.
Unfortunately, that frontage (Seymour) is not the best side of the building for a Saks entrance - but it could work, esp. when the Bay Parkade is redeveloped).
The Saks store could occupy a narrow north-south slice of the building along Seymour with some frontage (including a canopied entrance) on Georgia and adding 2 or 3 more sets of escalators in the NE corner (for 4 or 5 partial floors of retail space). The escalators would just be at the back of the floorplate and the escalators for Hudson's Bay would be at the side of their floorplate. Seymour is up and coming - esp. with Telus Garden kitty corner to that corner of Hudson's Bay.
Using a pic from Hudson's Bay's 6th floor at Retail-Insider.com the floorplate of Saks could be the area in green for maybe 4 floors staring at street level (needing 2 additional escalators). The existing NE escalators to the 2nd floor are located at about the orange oval - note that the existing Hudson's Bay escalators remain reasonably centred in the remaining space. Saks would have canopy entrances on Georgia and Seymour.
One issue could be elevator access for both stores, but an elevator can be installed on the Hudson's Bay side of the store..
***********
Brilliant work, officedweller! Incredibly, you had the exact same ideas and opinions I had about a possible Saks/Bay ground floor configuration, escalators and elevator issue. I went through the store Sunday afternoon measuring the ceiling heights in the sub basement, as well as examining possibly reconfiguring TopShop over 2 levels to allow for more Saks space in the available space beside TopShop. After coming up with numerous possibilities, I've decided to hold back on reporting my opinions until I can get some external confirmation.
Northeast escalators go up to level 3, and it could be more cost effective to utilize only those floors with those escalators for Saks (taking more space on upper floors to bring Saks to about 120,000 sq ft). New elevators would be expensive. Hudson's Bay didn't even bother to replace existing elevators for ladies who shop in The Room :S
Keep in mind that James and I only gave Glen (of BIV) our opinions when he interviewed us. We don't have insider information as to the configuration that Hudson's Bay might use for a possible Saks space. I'm working on trying to get an insider's insight as to what Saks within Hudson's Bay might look like. Given how Hudson's Bay tends to renovate on the cheap, I hope they won't cut corners with Saks (if the deal doesn't fall through due to a possible court-ordered injunction).
I agree with James (Smerdon) that Lansdowne could be a good Off 5th location - though think the Downtown Vancouver Bay sub-basement would be a brilliant location (as well as a store in Lansdowne and others), especially since local condo dwellers like myself would be in there all the time. Since there may be 25 Off 5th Canadian stores, I don't see why we wouldn't see more than one in the Lower Mainland.
I've got plans for the ground floor of the store if anyone is interested. They're slanted and have 'The Bay' in the middle but they still basically do the trick. I'll email them to anyone interested:
[email protected]