Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
Exactly, who is "they"? Why is Boulder special? The people of Brighton are getting screwed. Parker is getting screwed. All of east/southeast Aurora is getting screwed. southwest JeffCo is getting screwed. Lots of people aren't getting anywhere near a choo choo under Fastracks.
At least Boulder is getting a BRT. Others have it worse. The only difference is the lack of feeling like they "deserve" something more than what they're getting. That's what separates Boulder.
|
Well, the fact is - as much as it's fun to make fun of those hippies for thinking they're special - Boulder
is special. In a way it
does "deserve" something more than what they're getting. And there's much more than the snobbery you implied that separates Boulder from Brighton, Parker, or any of those other areas you mentioned.
The Denver metro area is really the Denver/Boulder metro area. Boulder is it's own city - a center of business and education. It's known of nationally whereas those other places you mentioned are not. It has a reputation, that reaches outside of Colorado, as a center of education, innovation and as a tech start-up incubator - a miniature Silicon Valley if you will. It's a real, unique city with a distinct difference in culture and a substantial GDP relative to it's population – not simply a suburb. There's a reason, besides geography, why the Census Bureau gives Boulder it's own MSA despite the fact that some of the suburbs in Boulder County are actually Denver's suburbs.
In other words, despite the fact that the cul-de-sac Joe Taxpayer in Boulder lives on might look exactly the same as the cul-de-sac Frank Taxpayer in Brighton lives on, there's a reason Joe Taxpayer in Boulder can expect more.
Also, one must not forget the important fact that Joe Taxpayer and Frank Taxpayer voted for the same thing. They voted for a system that included a rail line to Boulder and never included any such line to Brighton, so in that regard, they both goth screwed – even if Joe Taxpayer is more directly affected.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by bunt_q
As for the "they" in the planning studies - there are lots of theys. But the fact that Boulder County was slated to get a BRT AND a train (while the others I listed above get nothing) is a product of that process.
|
I guess I assumed it was as simple as: RTD conducted a feasibility study to find out what kind of transit the NW corridor would need and that's what they stuck on the ballot. You guys know more about this stuff than I do.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by bunt_q
RTD is skipping the Boulder line not because it costs the most in dollar terms, but because it costs the most for the benefit it produces. It has pathetically low ridership projections, even compared to lines that cost half as much.
|
This really surprises me – especially considering the amount of auto-traffic between Denver and Boulder, and the fact that Boulder has some disproportionate gravity (like I went on about above). I honestly never realized the ridership projections were so low.
I would guess a DUS/Boulder line would be a no-brainier, and would fall behind only a DUS/DIA line and DUS/DTC line (which, of course, was already approved and built separately from Fastracks) in terms of prioritizing mass-transit development in the Denver area. Leaving Boulder out, in my mind, would be like leaving either Oakland or San Jose out of BART.
But what do I know. If the ridership projections 🞵🞵🞵🞵, then the ridership projections 🞵🞵🞵🞵. I can't argue with that.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by bunt_q
The reality is that Boulder is BY FAR the slowest growing area of the metro. Politicians respond to voters. When your town has fewer of them (relatively speaking) every year, then yeah, you're going to get screwed.
EDIT: See Cirrus' table, it's better.
|
Not to get all Wizened Variations on you (have I been here long enough that I can say that?) but I think money counts at least as much as population when it comes to getting votes and Boulder still has a disproportionate amount of that. I mean, many voters (and it doesn't take many in a close election) are sheep, and it only takes so much money to sway their votes. I agree with you somewhat about Boulder's shrinking influence, but I don't think the shrinking (relative) population has as much of an effect here as you might think.
Also, power brokers something something.