HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3001  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:28 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
The site must be urban (e.g. Varsity). It has to be the kind of location where people could potentially walk past and say, 'What's this? The Argos play here? Looks great. Let's check it out...' If they move to Mississauga or Downsview, then it might as well be the Moon - the team will fall further into obscurity. That's my feeling, anyway - perhaps Torontonians have a different view.
     
     
  #3002  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:11 AM
Barnard's Star Barnard's Star is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 139
Perhaps someone should start an Argos stadium thread. It seems to be crowding out things here.
     
     
  #3003  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:44 AM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 2,328
ig field tonight:


     
     
  #3004  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 11:19 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
🞵🞵🞵🞵 pics!
     
     
  #3005  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 1:29 PM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,559
That over hang is massive. Also if I had to guess I would've thought the place held closer to 50,000...surprised when I read 33,000. Not saying that as a bad thing just looked like it held more.

I haven't really read much of this thread but how is the new stadium being recieved it Winnipeg? I'd imagine very well but you always get those 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 people who think new stadiums are too pampering.
     
     
  #3006  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:49 PM
Steveston Steveston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 472
In pics and on TV, IG Stadium looks awesome.

Can't tell from the broadcasts whether the "sound reflective roof" is effective or not -- perhaps WPG posters who have attended games can provide some insight.

Too bad about the location. IMO they would have gotten everything perfect (OK, aside from the press boxes, but that's fixable) if it had been located downtown instead of way out in the burbs. (which is not fixable)
     
     
  #3007  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:20 PM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Investors Group Field is one kickin' stadium. Well done Winnipeg!
__________________
Just chimin' in.
     
     
  #3008  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:29 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,493
It's definitely impressive. I've been to games at all the East division stadiums (though a road trip to New Frank Clair will be in order) and I'd love to see games at those in the West - especially this one.

I'm not trying to be an 🞵🞵🞵 here, but in all honesty: how would people feel about it if it didn't have the roof structures? I think it would still be a nice stadium, but would it lose a good chunk of that "🞵🞵🞵 appeal" if it didn't have those ample and curvaceous canopies?
     
     
  #3009  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:03 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,889
^It's an interesting design element - the curve or wave that is - but it also helps to give the stadium that enclosed, outdoor room feel. It would be a much different stadium otherwise.
     
     
  #3010  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:11 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
It is loud, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the stadium. I know it broke decibel records at the home opener this year. The old stadium was extremely loud as well. Overall it is a very nice stadium (for the price). Like anything that is new, there are many kinks that are slowly being worked out. Transit, concessions, etc.

And on the post regarding location, a more central location, like an old abandoned industrial area (read Canadian Packers site) would be better, but I would never want a stadium downtown. A stadium kills downtowns, and provides a giant expanse of nothingness for all but 12-20 nights of the year. I would never want a downtown stadium. I personally think that they should have just rebuilt at the original location like intended.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
     
     
  #3011  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:37 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
It is loud, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the stadium. I know it broke decibel records at the home opener this year. The old stadium was extremely loud as well. Overall it is a very nice stadium (for the price). Like anything that is new, there are many kinks that are slowly being worked out. Transit, concessions, etc.

And on the post regarding location, a more central location, like an old abandoned industrial area (read Canadian Packers site) would be better, but I would never want a stadium downtown. A stadium kills downtowns, and provides a giant expanse of nothingness for all but 12-20 nights of the year. I would never want a downtown stadium. I personally think that they should have just rebuilt at the original location like intended.
I don't know, BC Place is downtown and it's awesome. On game days it makes downtown that much more vibrant, and when there aren't any events going on it certainly doesn't take anything away from the area. The plaza outside is fairly popular and visitors love it.
__________________
Build transit and stuff around it.
     
     
  #3012  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:04 AM
Barnard's Star Barnard's Star is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 139
I'm all in favour of downtown stadiums. I know it's become commonplace to slag the Rogers Centre, but I love being downtown when a game let's out there. Crowded sidewalks, everybody wearing jerseys, dads with the kids, etc.
     
     
  #3013  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,559
I agree about that. Its awesome walking around downtown when a game lets out. Rogers Centre has little to no parking so it isn't a huge wasteland if there are no events going on. Maybe thats the key. Also downtown Toronto is so large it absorbs Rogers Centre like its nothing. I could see how a large stadium could overwhelm a smaller downtown like Winnipeg.

I know I have seen some stadiums in US downtowns ringed with parking lots where on non event days they would have a negative impact on their surroundings.
     
     
  #3014  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:18 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Council approves new Commonwealth Stadium Jumbotron
Slav Kornik Global News

Edmonton – City Council has approved to finance the entire purchase of a new, multi-million dollar scoreboard and sound system for Commonwealth Stadium.

The estimate for a new speaker cluster and scoreboard is about $5.2 million, which is less than the $6 million paid for the existing system 13 years ago.

“According to all the information we received from administration and from the Eskimos – that this particular facility is way out of date and they haven’t got materials to fix it – If it goes down, it could be be down for weeks on end,” says Mayor Stephen Mandel.

The director of Commonwealth Stadium, Evelyn Ehrman, says the current Jumbotron and speaker system has reached the end of its lifecycle. She adds, there has been one incident this year when the matrix board failed for an entire Eskimos pre-season game.

Prior to city council’s approval, the Edmonton Eskimos organization said it could not contribute to the cost of the Jumbotron because it was financially impacted by the FIFA Cup at Commonwealth, which is forcing the team to go on the road during the event.

The Jumbotron isn’t the only structure being upgraded at Commonwealth Stadium. The newly-installed green and gold seats are being paid for through a 5 per cent ticket tax. The tax will be in place for the next 16 years, or until the $8 million loan is paid off.
     
     
  #3015  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:36 PM
Steveston Steveston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 472
Downtown is definitely the way to go.

You've already got a transit system designed to get tens of thousands of people in and out of the area, so why not use it on weeknights and weekends? You've got tons of parking capacity, again, not being used on weeknights and weekends.
As mentioned by other posters, you've got bars, restaurants, street food, and all kinds of businesses which benefit from the games, concerts, trade shows that occur at these facilities.
What you DON'T have are the acres of parking lots sitting empty for most of the time, the "arrive at the last second/leave as soon as the game's over" cycle of traffic jams. With a downtown facility, people come early, meet up with friends, and hang around for post-game drinks and snackies.

As far as I'm concerned, downtowns and stadia/arenas are made for each other.
     
     
  #3016  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:12 PM
FrankieFlowerpot's Avatar
FrankieFlowerpot FrankieFlowerpot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,478
From intoronto at the Gamesbids.com forum



     
     
  #3017  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:19 PM
FrankieFlowerpot's Avatar
FrankieFlowerpot FrankieFlowerpot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,478
Something else I found on my travels here

http://stadiumci.com/

Quote:
Projects York University Stadium – Toronto, ON
SCI provided masterplan services on this 25,000-seat. The primary users are York University Athletic Department, the Canadian Soccer Association, and the Toronto Argonauts. The project was intended for year round use, with outdoor seasonal use extended by use of an air supported bubble for the winter months



Quote:
Projects University of Toronto Varsity Stadium – Toronto, ON
SCI developed the programming, conceptual design and assisted with the pricing of a new 25,000-seat multi-use stadium for the University of Toronto. The plan included renovations and upgrades to the varsity arena and the addition of an ice pad to the existing 5,400-seat spectator facility.

     
     
  #3018  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:08 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Something else I found on my travels here

http://stadiumci.com/
Between those two proposals along with the chance to buy the Rogers Centre for a song a decade ago, there sure have been a lot of missed opportunities for the Argonauts.

The York and U of T stadium proposals look beautiful! What a shame that they failed to materialize.
     
     
  #3019  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:40 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #3020  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 7,598
Man how depressing on what could have been for the Argos with those stadium proposals. Argos should have stayed at cne stadium when skydome was built.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.