HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4701  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:24 AM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
I see that the Harmon's site is entirely covered in colored squares in this image, including the grassy area on State, as well as the part on the other end of the block.

As a newcomer, I wasn't sure; does that mean there are plans to build in these currently empty spaces? Are they planning on surrounding Harmons with office and retail space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
That whole area has a ton going on either right now or in the near future.

     
     
  #4702  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:47 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Yes. West of Harmon's on state street is the future site for tower 8. A 20ish office tower to be develop some time after 111 south main. To the East a 5-6 story housing develop is planned. Not sure when.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4703  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:14 AM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Yes. West of Harmon's on state street is the future site for tower 8. A 20ish office tower to be develop some time after 111 south main. To the East a 5-6 story housing develop is planned. Not sure when.
awesome thanks for filling me in. Now that you say that, I remember seeing past posts about these developments, but I guess I never put two and two together that they'll be flanking Harmons. Exciting.
     
     
  #4704  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 8:01 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Here is SLC at sunset with 111 South Main illuminated. I wonder if a variety of colors will be used like on 222 .

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2831/9374670732_fc028741c8_z.jpg
nice job!
     
     
  #4705  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 6:59 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Salt Lake City ranked 4th best city to work in

     
     
  #4706  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:43 PM
sunflowerjka's Avatar
sunflowerjka sunflowerjka is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
I found this on Dixon and Associates Architects website:

Also, Dixon and associates & Boyer submitted a building permit last week for the 6 level midblock parking structure behind the former Questar headquarters:

"Boyer 102 Tower Parking Garage Phase 1
New parking structure"

If you look at the rendering pic you can see the parking structure looks to be an addition to the already existing parking structure on that block...?

http://www.dixonslc.com/?section=office

151 Tower, Salt Lake City UT


I wonder though.... Goldman Sachs name is up at the top of that tower..... is goldmans expanding to this location as well? or is it a complete move? I would bet that the current rendering of that tower would be too small to house all of Goldmans entire operations......

Anyways.... thoughts? opinions?


Wow! I really like the look of this building! Infact if the Walker Tower Parking Structure ever gets a face-lift I hope it looks something similar to this. One thing I really like is that though it looks like a typical box if you look closely the edges of the building are just slightly asymmetrical but the angles appear seamless. The look of the glass next to the older 70's buildings actually complements that portion of state st.

I agree though, I think they could have planned something better than a mini parking lot to the north, retail space would have been perfect there or even an urban park or garden. But Im not going to complain right now, Im just happy to see so much positive and attractive, non-stucco development happening downtown!!!
     
     
  #4707  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:17 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerjka View Post


I agree though, I think they could have planned something better than a mini parking lot to the north, retail space would have been perfect there or even an urban park or garden. But Im not going to complain right now, Im just happy to see so much positive and attractive, non-stucco development happening downtown!!!
The mini parking lot to the north is not owned by Boyer. It is owned by the federal government. I do not see that parking lot becoming a mid-block street if ownership stays with the federal government.
     
     
  #4708  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:38 AM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I'm sure transgender people can use the bathroom of their preference, just like they do in most places.
All new construction should have gender neutral bathroom options for transgender people. Either we provide these options, or we get rid of gender segregated bathrooms all together.
     
     
  #4709  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:56 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
I came across this...


     
     
  #4710  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:18 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
The mini parking lot to the north is not owned by Boyer. It is owned by the federal government. I do not see that parking lot becoming a mid-block street if ownership stays with the federal government.
I was just about to say this.

With the Federal Building right there, I don't envision a mid-block street between State and 2nd East because of security and safety concerns.
     
     
  #4711  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:29 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
All new construction should have gender neutral bathroom options for transgender people. Either we provide these options, or we get rid of gender segregated bathrooms all together.
Why should transgender people be treated as a separate group? They identify as a certain 🞵🞵🞵... why not use the restroom that corresponds with that gender? That seems like a more dignified option to me than being put in a special bathroom.
     
     
  #4712  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:33 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
I was just about to say this.

With the Federal Building right there, I don't envision a mid-block street between State and 2nd East because of security and safety concerns.
There is still plenty of room for a setback from the street just as large as exists on the north side of the building.
     
     
  #4713  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:06 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
There is still plenty of room for a setback from the street just as large as exists on the north side of the building.
That may be true, but I still don't see it happening. It could be due to the south side not as reinforced as the north and west sides or simply the federal government mitigating the risk factor to two sides and not opening up a third side.

Or any other reason.

Just my opinion.
     
     
  #4714  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:52 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
I don't think that a mid block would be a big safety concern, but surveillance would be a good idea.
     
     
  #4715  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:20 PM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
All new construction should have gender neutral bathroom options for transgender people. Either we provide these options, or we get rid of gender segregated bathrooms all together.
Many new buildings have a family restroom, which is welcome to any and all genders and ungenders. It can be the gender neutralist of restrooms, if it need be.
__________________
If people were all meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters.
     
     
  #4716  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:37 PM
sock puppet's Avatar
sock puppet sock puppet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
I was just about to say this.

With the Federal Building right there, I don't envision a mid-block street between State and 2nd East because of security and safety concerns.
I take that mid-block street/alley every day of the week to avoid turning right onto State Street from in front of Harmons. There's no green arrow and pedestrians take the entire light to walk from one side to the other.
I digress. That mid-block access already exists, don't you think that it will remain? I'm sure that it will only improve with the parking structure back there.
     
     
  #4717  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:39 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
With Boyer selling four office buildings at Gateway and with the investment they are undertaking in these blocks around State Street and 200 E it seems like their current strategy is more in development and less in property management. Not many on this forum liked the design of the 101 Tower, but 151 Tower looks a lot better. A huge positive is that both of these 'Towers' as well as the parking garage are replacing surface parking lots. I also like that we are seeing significant developments both to the east of main street (the Boyer projects as well as the La Porte project on State) and to the west of main with the Air7Center.
     
     
  #4718  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:50 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I came across this...


That's old stuff from a former forum member, Urbanboy. You must have found that on www.utahurbanforum.com
     
     
  #4719  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 8:30 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
With regard to the Boyer properties, they have been in the office discussing residential uses along 200 East, just east of the proposed parking structure. They have submitted plans to secure a building permit for that structure. I hadn't heard anything about the 151 Building. I think that it looks like it's the right size for the area and that it will fit in well. This project is obviously just getting started so keep in mind that we probably won't see construction in the very near future.
     
     
  #4720  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 11:08 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
With regard to the Boyer properties, they have been in the office discussing residential uses along 200 East, just east of the proposed parking structure. They have submitted plans to secure a building permit for that structure. I hadn't heard anything about the 151 Building. I think that it looks like it's the right size for the area and that it will fit in well. This project is obviously just getting started so keep in mind that we probably won't see construction in the very near future.
So it sounds to me then is the Boyer Company plans to develop residential on the parking lot on 200 East before they develop that cool looking building (151).

So if I'm right and let me know if I'm not, but the order of development is the following.....

1. 101 Office Building
2. 102 Office Building ( remodel )
3. Parking garage
4. Residential on 200 E?
5. 151 Office Building?

Note: 1 and 2 is happening right now.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.