HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10001  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:07 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
The hype machine is running at full speed... I wish them well, I really do, but from what we've seen there is little to get excited about at this point.
     
     
  #10002  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:10 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
^^^ I agree esquire, it's just the internal optimist in me that hopes it will all fall into place.
     
     
  #10003  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:45 AM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
10,002 posts... you know what that means!
     
     
  #10004  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:56 AM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
This time, can we format Winnipeg Construction thread to what is the norm here on SSP instead of just saying "Winnipeg Construction". I'm guessing this is like thread number 9 or 10 or more?
     
     
  #10005  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:50 AM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
110 James still only has 4 units sold... I think that's the same amount from April. hopefully things go a little better with the lower prices at 132 James.
     
     
  #10006  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:08 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,047
That Proposed Subsidy could put sales on hold for a bit. If anyone who was previously interested in purchasing thinks that they could get an extra 10 000 dollars if they wait a few more months until things are either down the drain or official they will.

I personally have been looking into Condo's downtown, and this subsidy really looked favourable from my vantage point. Now hearing others opinions I can see the flaws, but at the same time, I am a student in major debt who will just be starting a career soon. I want to build some equity, and getting a mortgage will be quite difficult when I already have debt. Getting that 10 000 dollar loan seemed really attractive to me.

I say that only because of all the people talking about how the rich, and the developers are the only ones that this subsidy would serve. I am neither, and I am sure that there are others who are just below purchasing capabilities where the opportunity to purchase could be a viable option with such a civic boost.
     
     
  #10007  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:08 AM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
110 James still only has 4 units sold... I think that's the same amount from April. hopefully things go a little better with the lower prices at 132 James.
There are only so many hard loft warehouse conversions in Winnipeg, so for those looking to purchase, the options are limited despite the available units. The largest building in the Exchange proper is probably Ashdown followed by Fairchild. I could be wrong but think 132 James would be 3rd in size at 49 units.

Nothing has come up for sale in Fairchild this year, so put that aside for the moment. Half a dozen units or so have come up in Ashdown and they've all sold for over list very quickly.

Why is that compared to 110 James? 110 James is pricey (roughly $350/sq. ft.) compared to recent sales at Ashdown ($275 ish/sq. ft.) and the obvious - parking.

132 James base price is more reasonable at roughly $265/sq. ft. compared to 110 James, but there are differences in the buildings. As I understand it, 110 James was a more expensive development, but 132 has similar characteristics such as high timber ceilings and expansive brick.

Time will dictate how sales at 132 James go. Price/sq. ft. is more in line with established buildings like Ashdown, but the elephant in the neighbourhood is parking.

Build it and people will buy IMHO. Why else is Ashdown flying off the shelf, but the "new" conversions are not? Chances are I'm missing something here, but am not sure what that is.
     
     
  #10008  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:24 AM
JamieDavid Exchange JamieDavid Exchange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
There are only so many hard loft warehouse conversions in Winnipeg, so for those looking to purchase, the options are limited despite the available units. The largest building in the Exchange proper is probably Ashdown followed by Fairchild. I could be wrong but think 132 James would be 3rd in size at 49 units.

Nothing has come up for sale . Fairchild this year, so put that aside for the moment. Half a dozen units or so have come up in Ashdown and they've all sold for over list very quickly.

Why is that compared to 110 James? 110 James is pricey (roughly $350/sq. ft.) compared to recent sales at Ashdown ($275 ish/sq. ft.) and the obvious - parking.

132 James base price is more reasonable at roughly $265/sq. ft. compared to 110 James, but there are differences in the buildings. As I understand it, 110 James was a more expensive development, but 132 has similar characteristics such as high timber ceilings and expansive brick.

Time will dictate how sales at 132 James go. Price/sq. ft. is more in line with established buildings like Ashdown, but the elephant in the neighbourhood is parking.

Build it and people will buy IMHO. Why else is Ashdown flying off the shelf, but the "new" conversions are not? Chances are I'm missing something here, but am not sure what that is.
You are absolutely right. Sales in my building are sold in 20 days or less. I strongly believe its because of available parking for most residents here. Yes, not all suites have available parking. There is 100 units here and only 49 underground spots. Theres about 40 spots in a parkade across the street. So, the faster they break ground on the James St parkade the better for their sales.
     
     
  #10009  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:49 AM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
This time, can we format Winnipeg Construction thread to what is the norm here on SSP instead of just saying "Winnipeg Construction". I'm guessing this is like thread number 9 or 10 or more?
I definitely vote in favor. A little change is nice

10,008 and counting!
     
     
  #10010  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:45 AM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
You are absolutely right. Sales in my building are sold in 20 days or less. I strongly believe its because of available parking for most residents here. Yes, not all suites have available parking. There is 100 units here and only 49 underground spots. Theres about 40 spots in a parkade across the street. So, the faster they break ground on the James St parkade the better for their sales.
It's the parking, no doubt. This is a good conversation, but may I ask that we bring it over to the Exchange thread, since it's relevant to this area of town?
     
     
  #10011  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:33 PM
GORDBO GORDBO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
This time, can we format Winnipeg Construction thread to what is the norm here on SSP instead of just saying "Winnipeg Construction". I'm guessing this is like thread number 9 or 10 or more?
I agree with that.I think were on #9 now.
     
     
  #10012  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:29 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
I've done a 180 on this but we need is :

SSP: Local Winnipeg

Getting tired of reading all the pie in the sky Saskatchewan threads where nothing ever materializes, ie: New Grain Elevator in Climax to be Provinces Tallest Structure.

Last edited by rrskylar; Jul 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM.
     
     
  #10013  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:16 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
As a relatively new poster,7 months I'll only make one post on this as it is the construction thread and would discuss it in ie: Expresso, etc.

I agree with 90% of posts on this page. ^^^^^. The few questions I've posted to find out about making any change(s) have all ended in "no, it aint gonna happen", not in those terms but generally the jist of the answer I recieved.

So I guess it's up to the long time posters and experts to decide if they would like to make "any" change to this particular forum. I hope so, but from what I've seen nothing is going to change.
     
     
  #10014  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:09 PM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
The few questions I've posted to find out about making any change(s) have all ended in "no, it aint gonna happen" nothing is going to change.
It's called "Dictatorship lead by the Old Boys Club", and that is apparently how things are run here in the Winnipeg thread, much like at City Hall. If you are not part of the club, then your opinion does not matter.
     
     
  #10015  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:16 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 2,338
i'm all for Winnipeg local! I think we never wanted it split in the past because there wasn't as much development as there is now ever. Winnipeg threads dominate this section completely now more or less. we should get some sask. forumers' opinions as well
     
     
  #10016  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:58 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
It's called "Dictatorship lead by the Old Boys Club", and that is apparently how things are run here in the Winnipeg thread, much like at City Hall. If you are not part of the club, then your opinion does not matter.
Where does this come from? Aside from 1ajs being a moderator there's no one in the Winnipeg forums that's 'above' anyone else (unless I've just been oblivious to it for the time I've been here). Skyscraperpage.com sets the rules, no one here.
     
     
  #10017  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:21 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
I have come around on an SSP: Winnipeg local as well. I think it might encourage a bit more forum activity, even.
     
     
  #10018  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:35 PM
Shinook Shinook is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Where does this come from?
It comes from the fact that the thread containing the last vote on whether Winnipeg should have it's own subsection, there was a clear numerical indication that people wanted that change, yet a certain moderator and a few vocal long-time posters basically told all us newer posters to be quiet and accept that there won't be any change because it might upset a few people, despite the fact that more people wanted change. Then abruptly the thread was locked.

That is where it comes from.
     
     
  #10019  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:02 PM
armorand93's Avatar
armorand93 armorand93 is offline
Transit Nerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary (former Winnipegger)
Posts: 2,707
19 past new thread...

going downtown this afternoon, lets see whats going on!
     
     
  #10020  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:19 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
It comes from the fact that the thread containing the last vote on whether Winnipeg should have it's own subsection, there was a clear numerical indication that people wanted that change, yet a certain moderator and a few vocal long-time posters basically told all us newer posters to be quiet and accept that there won't be any change because it might upset a few people, despite the fact that more people wanted change. Then abruptly the thread was locked.

That is where it comes from.
>>>>>>>> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=204407
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.