Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both Calgary and Edmonton started PLANNING for lrt when they were roughly the size of Saskatoon now.
As for the road comment, maybe this is what is necessary if the city can't handle fixing roads. Take people off the road.
I feel like LRT would have far greater ridership than BRT as well. There's a stigma towards buses in this city that could be overlooked by something that citizens can be excited and proud about.
|
You're definitely in the ballpark. According to Wikipedia, Calgary's population in 1961 was roughly a quarter of a million people. Their LRT opened in 1981, as a result of planning stemming from a 1967 transportation study recommending LRT. Although Calgary only opted to begin construction on its LRT in 1976, it had reserved land for transit corridors and secured use of existing rail lines' ROWs in the 1960s and 1970s.
I agree with Echoes and think BRT is a logical first step to more transit infrastructure. I think it can be used to increase the profile of public transit in Saskatoon and eventually build familiarity with transit corridors, which then may be more easily converted to LRT in the future...
... but I just hope it's done right!