Quote:
I misspelled that line: "least arts funding". Didn't Ottawa cut arts funding so that now we have the lowest amount of funding compared to all other cities in Canada? Having lived in Toronto and Montreal, there's still much more of an investment in arts and you can see it throughout the city, whereas Ottawa has teeny bits here and there. Montreal's Place-des-Arts has constantly changing exhibitions outside for the public. What do we have for Ottawa that's similar?
I don't agree with either expression. Sure, you can find your own fun and if you're fun then you have it, but there needs to be more to do. What about Montreal, Toronto, New York, etc make them fun? I feel it's such an easy thing to say, "You're bored because you're boring" instead of realizing that maybe we're missing a lot of things to help make us vibrant and exciting. Consider our shopping and culinary scenes: while growing, they're happening slowly and not in multiple areas.
Well, buildings could. Art can have an impact on people's emotions, making them happy or sad, for example. Buildings can do the same, as architecture is art and a building is essentially a giant sculpture we live and work in. But more so, buildings capture the zeitgeist of our times and culture. While I'm willing to admit some of a buildings effects on our population could be negligible if people ignore them, a building is the physical manifestation of our culture and ethos. Walking around great buildings in Montreal and Toronto transformed me, so why couldn't it do the same for Ottawa?
|
The Quebec provincial government puts a lot of money into art because it's a cultural/heritage thing and a way of showcasing their nationalistic/distinct society leanings. Great for them, obviously (at least in that regard).
I don't know if Ottawa gets the least cash from the feds; if there's a study that shows that, I haven't seen it. Until I see it, it's just a rumour.
If Ottawa wants Montreal levels of provincial funding, get on the phone with Premier Wynne, but expect to be laughed at. Wynne et al have bigger things to spend money on, like transit in Toronto, debt financing.
While you addressed some of my criticisms, it's still a bit of a mystery to me as to what you want to see happen in Ottawa (ie - things that aren't happening). Sounds a bit like you like Toronto and Montreal for what they are (which is fine), and want to attend those same things here.
If it's 'theatre districts' you're looking for, then I'm sorry, but you'll have to go to a theatre district city for those, like the three cities you specifically mentioned.
There are culinary things happening, possibly more widespread than you realize, but you'll have to dig for it. I'm not sure of any culinary masterpieces being created in Beaconsfield and Vaughan, so your 'widespread' label tacked onto those cities confused me.
Example - did you know about the Brewery Market/Mashup event happening tomorrow (July7), featuring former Torontonians who are honing their craft in Ottawa?
http://www.ottawabeerevents.ca/
Culture! Creativity! Humans honing a craft! People taking initiative! No federal funding! There are many types of things like this happening.
It's on a smaller scale, for sure, but unless you're looking for Cirque de Soleil, Les Miserables, and massive parades all the time that's what you normally get out of any city.
I'd say there are more things to do in Ottawa now than even a few years ago