HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #381  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 4:29 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
So you drive to Bayshore, St. Laurent instead? that would surprise me. If you just don't shop, or do it in Montreal than I am not sure what your point is.
Crazy but true: you can shop in places that aren't malls, and you can get to malls in ways that aren't driving.

And when I do mall-shop, it tends to be at St-Laurent. By bus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #382  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 5:11 AM
mac_junkie1's Avatar
mac_junkie1 mac_junkie1 is offline
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 141
Yea, someone told me that. Stitches Superstore was in there till about 04-05 on the first floor and basement, so naturally it was still up and running. When they left, the place was stripped because it was full of asbestos in the walls and ceilings. Good old construction methods lol

The 1906 bricks being removed were maybe to modernize, but you never know. There must be some "work permits" out there somewhere and I'll get to the bottom of it just to see whats up. I also can't find an exact date for it. It was done before 1947, because the anniversary book I have from 1947 has the new "modern front" on it.

In the meantime, while still logo hunting (found about 25+ different ones over the years), I see if it pops up while going thru old papers in Google Archive. I've also got a database going for any ads I can find in there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Didn't know it was heated until 2005. I want to comment, but I won't.

As for the 1907 bricks being replaced in the 40s but not the 1916, I figure it was a modernization effort and the reason they did not replace the 1916 was likely about cost savings. I guess they figured that "cleaning up" the main face would be enough and that doing the whole thing might not be worth the cost. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with masonry damage, otherwise they would also have replaced the strip between the third story window and the fourth floor. Considering the fate of the building, I guess I'm glad they limited the work to the 1907 portion.



I usually park in the City's parking garage in the Market, but it was full that day so I had to find an alternative and street parking wasn't an option on a Friday evening. I don't remember checking the price board, but I don't remember ever seeing it at 20$ in the past and certainly did not think it would be 20$ on a Friday night. I guess I should stop making assumptions and do my research.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #383  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:41 AM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
... and I would love to see a decent hardware/lumber supply in the core because it would knock off one of those from the list.
They don't have lumber, but Preston Hardware has a good selection of hardware.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #384  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:06 PM
YOWetal YOWetal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Don't know about him, but I'm the same way. I shop at the independent stores on Bank St in the Glebe and Centretown, on Elgin St., along Wellington West/Richmond, and in the Market. Prettly much the only chain stores I shop at are Chapters, the LCBO/Beer Store, and Home Depot/Lowes... and I would love to see a decent hardware/lumber supply in the core because it would knock off one of those from the list.
OK on principle you shop at independant stores. That makes sense.

My impression was the OP was agreeing that it is inconvenient to get to and therefore he shops elsewhere. I can see why suburbanites might avoid Rideau centre because of the paid parking, but why someone who lives downtown would. I don't understand why they do not have a validate option with a $100 purchase or whatever. This is usually standard for most downtown malls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #385  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 1:45 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Crazy but true: you can shop in places that aren't malls, and you can get to malls in ways that aren't driving.

And when I do mall-shop, it tends to be at St-Laurent. By bus.
Easy to get to from downtown too, the 5, 7, 14 and 18, plus EB Transitway routes, all take you there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #386  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 4:59 PM
JackBauer24 JackBauer24 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 748
It's a great idea, and one that should be adopted. But if there isn't enough backlash and shoppers are willing to pay for both their goods/merchandise and parking, why give one for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
OK on principle you shop at independant stores. That makes sense.

My impression was the OP was agreeing that it is inconvenient to get to and therefore he shops elsewhere. I can see why suburbanites might avoid Rideau centre because of the paid parking, but why someone who lives downtown would. I don't understand why they do not have a validate option with a $100 purchase or whatever. This is usually standard for most downtown malls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #387  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 5:06 PM
eternallyme eternallyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
It's a great idea, and one that should be adopted. But if there isn't enough backlash and shoppers are willing to pay for both their goods/merchandise and parking, why give one for free?
Or perhaps to encourage transit use, have a free return trip voucher given after spending $100 or something?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #388  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:38 PM
teej1984 teej1984 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sandy Hill, Ottawa
Posts: 310
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #389  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:50 PM
Norman Bates Norman Bates is offline
Living With My Mother
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,027
Hopefully they do better than Ethan Allen did.

Still miss EA in Ottawa. It's a mandatory stop for me when in Syracuse or Toronto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #390  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 8:46 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Hopefully they do better than Ethan Allen did.

Still miss EA in Ottawa. It's a mandatory stop for me when in Syracuse or Toronto.
Where was Ottawa's Ethan Allen located?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #391  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 1:52 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Where was Ottawa's Ethan Allen located?
The only one I remember was just off Robertson Road (Stafford Road, Bells Corners) behind the East-Side Marios. I believe it's now a Carstar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #392  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 2:11 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
According to Retail Insider, Ottawa's getting Canada's first Nordstrom's Rack:
http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/06/nordstrom-rack-secures-its-first.html

They haven't revealed the location, but my guess is the Ottawa Train Yards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #393  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 2:14 AM
Norman Bates Norman Bates is offline
Living With My Mother
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Where was Ottawa's Ethan Allen located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
The only one I remember was just off Robertson Road (Stafford Road, Bells Corners) behind the East-Side Marios. I believe it's now a Carstar.
Yes, that was it.

As I recall the Taggert family were the franchise owners. There were big plans to renovate and expand to the new EA corporate look. Then all of a sudden they were closing down. They shut down in 1994.

It was very sad, because they advertised a big closing sale and brought in truckloads of average (non Ethan Allen) home furnishings and salespeople who had never worked at Ethan Allen suddenly appeared and sold them to the unsuspecting masses.

Mom and I had done a metric tonne of business there and had developed relationships with the manager, designer and shipper. All those good people lost their jobs - and many left town. Sad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #394  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:05 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
What's happening with this thing? First, construction was supposed to start this spring (2013), then, the board of directors was supposed to approve the plans in early June. Come on, give us something other than those crude renderings!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #395  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:31 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
According to Retail Insider, Ottawa's getting Canada's first Nordstrom's Rack:
http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/06/nordstrom-rack-secures-its-first.html

They haven't revealed the location, but my guess is the Ottawa Train Yards.
I bet it's going to the Tangers outlet mall. Besides, the Trainyards is hardly 'suburban'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #396  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 8:09 PM
DEWLine DEWLine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 337
The Trainyards could be described as "converted post-industrial" space...but that's something for its own thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #397  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 4:56 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I bet it's going to the Tangers outlet mall. Besides, the Trainyards is hardly 'suburban'.
Don't think it's the Kanata Tanger Outlet Mall;

Quote:
It will be located in a suburban 'big box' retail centre, as opposed to an outlet mall as might be expected.
http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/0...its-first.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #398  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 7:45 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
What is going on with this expansion anyway?
We've all seen the renders, the old Ogylvie is demolished, I'm pretty sure they have a long list of potential tenants knocking at their door already, so what are they waiting for? When is construction suppose to start and finish?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #399  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 11:12 PM
bartlebooth bartlebooth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
What is going on with this expansion anyway?
We've all seen the renders, the old Ogylvie is demolished, I'm pretty sure they have a long list of potential tenants knocking at their door already, so what are they waiting for? When is construction suppose to start and finish?
I know that a bunch of the stores (American Eagle, Lens Crafters) near where the expansion is happening are in the process of moving to new locations within the mall. I have also seen groups of architects around the mall (site visits I suppose) so there is activity, just nothing major yet. I'm sure we will hear/see something substantial very soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #400  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 5:54 AM
mac_junkie1's Avatar
mac_junkie1 mac_junkie1 is offline
CharlesOgilvyLtd FACEBOOK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 141
Hang tight. Don't worry.... Things will be moving sooner then you think and once it starts, it'll be non-stop till they finish. Things like this take time to get the ball rolling. More then a few people are involved Trust me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's happening with this thing? First, construction was supposed to start this spring (2013), then, the board of directors was supposed to approve the plans in early June. Come on, give us something other than those crude renderings!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.