HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4461  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 8:20 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
They need to add the Grand America into the Diagram lineup.
     
     
  #4462  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 8:39 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
They need to add the Grand America into the Diagram lineup.
Agreed. Somebody should get in contact with Matthew Dumont who has done an awesome job with our other buildings in the Diagram.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4463  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 8:57 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Scott, I'm sure you did not mean to imply this, and I'm not speaking of artists and full time employment opportunities outside of the L.A./New York markets. Sure, the typical artist must also be a teacher/professor etc.
However, just for the sake of clarification, and I'm sure you will agree, there is absolutely nothing amateurish about Ballet West, RDT, Ririe Woodbury, The Utah Symphony, or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, etc. They are among the pinnacle on the continent, and in some cases even the world. Even Utah Opera is considered a top tier among regional companies. No, it's not the Met, but how many companies on this continent are? The bottom line is, Wasatch audiences are treated to a quality of performance that is hitting waay above the average American Metro. The variety of genres, whether ballroom dance or ballet or community theater, is astoundingly rich, varied and of a very high quality. Equally important is the fact that this high quality is considered far more accessible to the average 🞵🞵🞵🞵 and Jane than many larger Metros.

As far as the film industry. Well, lets keep our fingers crossed regarding what's suppose to be happening in Park City over the next couple of years. I'm hoping the flood gates are about to burst for Utah's film industry. Still, even great talent in Vancouver or Canada in general, or even New York, must maintain a very solid business/agent establishment in Los Angeles. Whether the filming is in New Mexico, Texas, Utah or the Carolinas, the casting and dollar dicisions and distribution are usually going to emanate from L.A.

I am a proud member of the Union, but even here in L.A. it's a struggle. The other day on a set my rate was not even posted on the contract voucher. Big budget T.V. Pilot, famous producer and director. I must have had to ask a dozen people what the rate was, and no one could give me an exact answer. I came to find out that I was surrounded by Union people, whispering that they were working NON-UNION, because they couldn't find work otherwise. Any given project will only hire what Union Members they absolutely are required by law to, and here in a city where over 25,000 wannabe's a year step off the bus, the base requirement doesn't even begin to cover the Union members looking for work.
No, you're right Delts, I wasn't inferring anything about the talent level here. I totally agree that the arts scene here is of very high quality and I think we're lucky in how eclectic the scene is for a city of our size. But what I'm trying to say is that for the artists and performers (not the audiences) we are not a destination, we're a stop along the way. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The unions can be a catch 22. Utah is a great place for talent to get started. I got both my SAG membership and my WGA membership from here, but have had to work almost entirely out of state since then for those kind of jobs. In fact, I let my SAG membership lapse because acting never was that important to me, and I didn't want to move out of Utah. However, I have many friends who work as technicians, actors, directors, opera, etc., who have all left Utah because they wanted to be professionals. It's just the nature of the beast I guess. But cities like NY, Chicago, and even Minneapolis are arts meccas because they are where the talent go, and given that the best of the crafts in the country are pooled there, more often than not, the best, most daring and innovate, and most successful work comes from there.

Interesting what you pointed out about LA. I've had similar experiences there, and heard similar tales from friends I have there. The industry is changing so dramatically, and while the money will always come from LA, the work has gone all over. And that may be a sign that things are changing, and in that regard, I'm with you. Utah could make itself into something really special on the movie/media front. I'm kinda banking on that myself by staying here.

And on that note (and this may appeal to everyone), I've learned what came of the failed attempt by Redman Movies and South Salt Lake to build a studio at the Granite High School site. That has fallen completely apart, as we know, but it was apparently much on SSL's end. Redman has proceeded to completely revamp and add to their current building on 7th west. They're currently constructing two full sound stages, a recording studio, and a screening room in their building, and adding in production offices (my company will be housed there now too).
     
     
  #4464  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I completely understand you. I'm just hopeful for the next 4-10 years. I do think that the Performing arts center will be a huge attraction in SLC. It's a big step up from other theaters and stadiums in the county. Besides dance performances, it'll bring many comedians/comedy groups, bands, presentations, and plays. I have no interest in dance, so I'm really excited for other entertainers to come over to Utah. But the state does need more of an art focus in the schools. I myself will probably go outside of Utah for higher schooling. The start of the Salt Lake Comic Con will sent thousands to the city.
I'm also hopeful. And excited.

In the end I just wish we were doing more to cultivate an arts economy. In my ideal world (and I may have said this before on the forum) we'd put a liberal arts college on the west side of downtown.

I think a good example of this on a very small scale is Provo's music scene (I know some SLCers may scoff, but bear with me). For years it kind of hobbled along like you might expect for a city like Provo. Then one guy started using his venue as a kind of incubator for professionals. He's largely responsible for helping bands like Neon Trees, Imagine Dragons, etc, make careers out of music. This is a very small example, but the point is that trying to cultivate artists actually can work and increase the number of arts jobs in a city. It would not be inaccurate to say Provo has a small "music industry" now that didn't exist before. The economy literally grew.

I have a friend at the Art Institute of Chicago who is experiencing a similar kind of creative-professional incubation in a formal setting.

I know we have some stuff going on, and we obviously have great performing groups here, but in terms of actual institutions that can generate arts growth, we don't seem to have anything exceptional. (Or I don't know about it, which is totally possible.)
     
     
  #4465  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 11:54 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
No, you're right Delts, I wasn't inferring anything about the talent level here. I totally agree that the arts scene here is of very high quality and I think we're lucky in how eclectic the scene is for a city of our size. But what I'm trying to say is that for the artists and performers (not the audiences) we are not a destination, we're a stop along the way. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The unions can be a catch 22. Utah is a great place for talent to get started. I got both my SAG membership and my WGA membership from here, but have had to work almost entirely out of state since then for those kind of jobs. In fact, I let my SAG membership lapse because acting never was that important to me, and I didn't want to move out of Utah. However, I have many friends who work as technicians, actors, directors, opera, etc., who have all left Utah because they wanted to be professionals. It's just the nature of the beast I guess. But cities like NY, Chicago, and even Minneapolis are arts meccas because they are where the talent go, and given that the best of the crafts in the country are pooled there, more often than not, the best, most daring and innovate, and most successful work comes from there.

Interesting what you pointed out about LA. I've had similar experiences there, and heard similar tales from friends I have there. The industry is changing so dramatically, and while the money will always come from LA, the work has gone all over. And that may be a sign that things are changing, and in that regard, I'm with you. Utah could make itself into something really special on the movie/media front. I'm kinda banking on that myself by staying here.

And on that note (and this may appeal to everyone), I've learned what came of the failed attempt by Redman Movies and South Salt Lake to build a studio at the Granite High School site. That has fallen completely apart, as we know, but it was apparently much on SSL's end. Redman has proceeded to completely revamp and add to their current building on 7th west. They're currently constructing two full sound stages, a recording studio, and a screening room in their building, and adding in production offices (my company will be housed there now too).
I think we pretty much agree on everything Scott regarding the performing arts/entertainment industry. Good to hear that Redman is moving forward. Now if we can just get the big Quinn Junction/Raleigh Project off the ground, the Wasatch will take a big leap forward in production, which is what you and I are both anxious for.

I love L.A., and will always maintain a presence here, but I would dearly love to be able to spend at least a few weeks of the year in the Salt Lake area.
     
     
  #4466  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:39 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I hear you. I have a very love/hate relationship with LA, having grown up there. I find that if I go three or four months without visiting, I really miss it. Then I spend a few days or weeks there, and enjoy it, but am always glad to come back to SLC.
     
     
  #4467  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:55 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Agreed. Somebody should get in contact with Matthew Dumont who has done an awesome job with our other buildings in the Diagram.
They should also add the new Courthouse borg cube. That's at least 200' tall, and therefore significant in the lineup.
     
     
  #4468  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 6:35 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
They should also add the new Courthouse borg cube. That's at least 200' tall, and therefore significant in the lineup.
I like "Borg Cube" better. Only recently have I noticed the (small) impact of the Courthouse on the skyline. Right now I am excited for the impact that 111 South Main will have on the skyline. Hopefully it will fill the "gap" well. I'm really hoping that 111 S will be our new tallest. Comrade Reynolds estimated that it'll be about 380' which is a little disapointing. Perhaps the lobby and high ceilings will add to the height.

But I'm not all hung up on the size. I think we can all agree that a new tallest after 15 years would be really nice. Especially in the spot where 111 S will be constructed.

Last edited by ToysNoiz; Jul 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Name mix up
     
     
  #4469  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 8:35 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
Future Mayor estimated that it'll be about 380'
Psh! That was me!
     
     
  #4470  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 8:51 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
They should also add the new Courthouse borg cube. That's at least 200' tall, and therefore significant in the lineup.
Just like the Grand America Hotel, the heigh of the courthouse is also a mistery. Can't find info on that anywhere. But looking at it from the skyline it looks to be around as tall as the JCPenny building.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4471  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 9:10 PM
jimmycdii jimmycdii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 131
For skyscraper fans, here's the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's best tall buildings of 2013:

http://www.ctbuh.org/Awards/OverviewofPa...s/tabid/4633/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Of particular note, I think, is the Devon Energy Center in Oklahoma City, which was a finalist (at the bottom of the page). I bring it up because I've seen Oklahoma City mentioned on the forum as a city that is/could be comparable to SLC. (I personally think the Devon building, and European winner the Shard, are beautiful buildings that are out of scale with their cities and look ridiculous. But that's a topic for another post...)
     
     
  #4472  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 10:28 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
I just started a thread in the Diagrams section of the forum to see if we could get someone to update our city diagram page. Please check it out, and add pics and weblinks to help the illustrator. I had a hard time finding the renderings of Tower 8. Why isn't it on the first page of this thread?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6189518#post6189518
     
     
  #4473  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 12:36 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I just started a thread in the Diagrams section of the forum to see if we could get someone to update our city diagram page. Please check it out, and add pics and weblinks to help the illustrator. I had a hard time finding the renderings of Tower 8. Why isn't it on the first page of this thread?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6189518#post6189518
Some of those they might have trouble doing since none of use know how tall Tower 8, 111 south and the courthouse are or will be.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4474  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 12:36 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Psh! That was me!
....Honest mistake.
     
     
  #4475  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:28 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900

The FAAs determination for the Boyer 101 tower:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=190844298

according to the FAA determination information the 7 story building will be 142 feet tall.
     
     
  #4476  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:41 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post

The FAAs determination for the Boyer 101 tower:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=190844298

according to the FAA determination information the 7 story building will be 142 feet tall.
Now THAT'S a tower.
     
     
  #4477  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 11:49 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,743
New Public Safety Building is not your typical cop shop


http://www.sltrib.com


By Janelle Stecklein | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56509847-78/building-public-safety-july.html.csp


...The new PSB is full of light, energy-efficient features, working elevators — and unbroken windows. Later this month, the public will be invited to tour the facility.

"I am really excited to share [this] with the public and show what we’ve accomplished together," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank. "I’m very pleased with how it’s all come together. Most important to me is the public support because that has made the difference and enabled us to accomplish this."


Form and function » The 175,480-square-foot PSB will house about 276 police employees, 69 emergency dispatchers, 38 fire employees and four workers with the emergency management division.

It stands as a stark contrast to the existing dark, dank and creaky structure at 315 E. 200 South, which suffers from overcrowding, occasional fires, stuck elevators, raw sewage spills and water floods deep enough to fill elevator shafts. Space is at such a premium that multiple people are squashed into cubicles. Closets have been turned into offices. In an effort to save on energy, every other light bulb has been removed in places, creating checkerboard lighting.

Emergency Management Director Cory Lyman likens the condition of the building to the 1973 film "Serpico," in which Al Pacino’s character spends his days working in "dingy" conditions.

"It’s a stunning building," said Kevin Miller, president of GSBS Architects, which was tapped to design the facility. "It’s really simple. It’s really straightforward. There’s nothing about it that doesn’t do something for us. There’s not an element of the design that doesn’t accomplish at least a few goals that were put before us."


By the numbers

$125,000,000 » Total cost

175,480 » Square feet of functional space

372 » Below-ground parking spots for police and fire.

77 » LED illuminated tiles that create a large video wall

75 » Perimeter, in feet, as a blast protection area

52 » Dampers to help earthquake-proof the building

30 » Motorcycle parking spots for law enforcement vehicles

24 » Amount, in inches, the floor in the room that holds computer equipment can move side-to-side

7.5 » Magnitude quake the building can withstand and be completely operational

2 » Free community rooms for public use. They can be combined into one large room or split into two rooms.

1 » Fitness center open to any city employee who works in the city’s civic campus and passes a background check

0 » Net amount of energy building will use


READ MORE - http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56509847-78/building-public-safety-july.html.csp

Last edited by delts145; Jul 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM.
     
     
  #4478  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:21 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Tacking on to Delts post above, public tours will be offered of the public safety building this month:
July 20th 10 am to 6 pm
July 22, 23, 25, 10 am to 4 pm
July 26th, noon to 8pm
July 27th, 10 am to 6 pm
     
     
  #4479  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:00 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
I'm not very impressed with the design of the Boyer 101, but the Public Safety Building is more than I could ask for. I'll try to catch a tour.
     
     
  #4480  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 1:04 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
New Public Safety Building is not your typical cop shop


http://www.sltrib.com


By Janelle Stecklein | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56509847-78/building-public-safety-july.html.csp


...The new PSB is full of light, energy-efficient features, working elevators — and unbroken windows. Later this month, the public will be invited to tour the facility.

"I am really excited to share [this] with the public and show what we’ve accomplished together," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank. "I’m very pleased with how it’s all come together. Most important to me is the public support because that has made the difference and enabled us to accomplish this."


Form and function » The 175,480-square-foot PSB will house about 276 police employees, 69 emergency dispatchers, 38 fire employees and four workers with the emergency management division.

It stands as a stark contrast to the existing dark, dank and creaky structure at 315 E. 200 South, which suffers from overcrowding, occasional fires, stuck elevators, raw sewage spills and water floods deep enough to fill elevator shafts. Space is at such a premium that multiple people are squashed into cubicles. Closets have been turned into offices. In an effort to save on energy, every other light bulb has been removed in places, creating checkerboard lighting.

Emergency Management Director Cory Lyman likens the condition of the building to the 1973 film "Serpico," in which Al Pacino’s character spends his days working in "dingy" conditions.

"It’s a stunning building," said Kevin Miller, president of GSBS Architects, which was tapped to design the facility. "It’s really simple. It’s really straightforward. There’s nothing about it that doesn’t do something for us. There’s not an element of the design that doesn’t accomplish at least a few goals that were put before us."


By the numbers

$125,000,000 » Total cost

175,480 » Square feet of functional space

372 » Below-ground parking spots for police and fire.

77 » LED illuminated tiles that create a large video wall

75 » Perimeter, in feet, as a blast protection area

52 » Dampers to help earthquake-proof the building

30 » Motorcycle parking spots for law enforcement vehicles

24 » Amount, in inches, the floor in the room that holds computer equipment can move side-to-side

7.5 » Magnitude quake the building can withstand and be completely operational

2 » Free community rooms for public use. They can be combined into one large room or split into two rooms.

1 » Fitness center open to any city employee who works in the city’s civic campus and passes a background check

0 » Net amount of energy building will use


READ MORE - http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56509847-78/building-public-safety-july.html.csp
I think the most laudable aspect of the building is the Net Zero aspect. I think there are only a few buildings in the country that are truly Net Zero. Honestly, I'm a little incredulous. The true test is if it actually does perform that way after a year or two has gone by. Will it truly by Net Zero?

Also, I think most of the building design is pretty nice, except for the large walkway/canopy. It's so distracting from the main building. It's like a big tongue sticking out of the main building façade. I would have rather had a nice open plaza and a nice open view of the clean curved glass façade. Wasn't there enough room on the roof to place all the solar panels needed?

Last edited by Orlando; Jul 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.