HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1961  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:05 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,398
Stan Keyes
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1962  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:11 PM
HillStreetBlues HillStreetBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KW/Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Hamilton likely takes the crown as Canada's number 1 city for payday loan outlets. Doesn't the head of their association live here?
Yes: he is mentioned in this article in the Globe, along with Hamilton.

This is an interesting article, particularly the note about credit unions doing just what you say in Quebec, and supplanting payday loans (with help from provincial regulations).

I've read elsewhere about the huge costs of bad debts to these outfits, so I'm not sure banks would want to take this segment on without some government framework.

The costs of these places is horrendous to people who use them, and can be an important part of the vicious cycle of poverty. In a real way, they really do prey on the poor, and I wonder how we could help educate our neighbours to their ill effects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1963  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 7:36 PM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
I'm going to Hamilton this weekend and I'm hoping to take pictures of all the construction projects in the city and I was hoping that you guys could fill me in on some of them that aren't in the database so I don't miss any.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1964  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 12:07 AM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
...
This is an interesting article, particularly the note about credit unions doing just what you say in Quebec, and supplanting payday loans (with help from provincial regulations).

... In a real way, they really do prey on the poor, and I wonder how we could help educate our neighbours to their ill effects.
I'm fairly certain that poor people know they are being preyed on. What they need is an real alternative (like a credit union). Quebec is leading the way.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1965  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:06 PM
HillStreetBlues HillStreetBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KW/Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I'm fairly certain that poor people know they are being preyed on. What they need is an real alternative (like a credit union). Quebec is leading the way.
I'm unsure whether users of credit unions generally know how bad these transactions are for their financial health. I've never used a payday loan or strongly considered using one, so I'm not certain what the decision process might be like. I have known people with credit card debt who only understand in let's say an academic way how expensive the debt really is, and I suspect payday loan users are similar. Of course they probably know it's costly, but I suspect a lot of them don't truly understand how much.

I'm also not sure why you think Quebec is "leading the way." They've prohibited payday loans, apparently, but I now read elsewhere that short term loans are not widely available.

What alternatives? Many of these loans are only days in duration, and the appeal is that there are often no credit checks, and a short processing time. As a member of a credit union, I'm not really sure I'd want it to get involved in these...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1966  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:31 PM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
HillStreetBlues, I have no detailed answers to your questions. I've been thinking about the widespread presence of these loansharks in Hamilton, and wondering aloud why there are no options for people who use them. I get that poverty in downtown Hamilton and these companies go hand in hand. I was thinking that a credit union like FirstOntario could walk-the-walk and truly show it is a stakeholder by getting involved. Stan Keyes and his bunch could care less about Hamilton.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1967  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 3:06 PM
HillStreetBlues HillStreetBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KW/Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Stan Keyes and his bunch could care less about Hamilton.
I'd say this is 100% right!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1968  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:33 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
I don't know where you get the idea that these loan places are in such abundance in this city. I did a search for moneymart and they have 9 locations in Hamilton. I also did a search for Edmonton just picking another Canadian city and they have 23 locations with 7 in or near their downtown. We don't have any more here than any other city in the country on a per capita basis. I am sure all of the other payday loan companies are equally well represented in most other Canadian cities as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1969  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 11:46 AM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
... I did a search for moneymart and they have 9 locations in Hamilton. ... I am sure all of the other payday loan companies are equally well represented in most other Canadian cities as well.
Did you do a search beyond moneymart? You would have found locations for:

Cash Max
Money Direct
Cash Store
Cheque N Cash
Cash Depot
Cash Source
Insta Loan

But so what. My earlier comments were hyperbole. It's not a contest to crown Canada's #1 city for legal loansharks. All these companies benefit from poverty in Hamilton.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1970  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:30 PM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Did you do a search beyond moneymart? You would have found locations for:

Cash Max
Money Direct
Cash Store
Cheque N Cash
Cash Depot
Cash Source
Insta Loan

But so what. My earlier comments were hyperbole. It's not a contest to crown Canada's #1 city for legal loansharks. All these companies benefit from poverty in Hamilton.
There is poverty in every city, and it's never going to go away. A certain percentage of the population, usually around 20%, will always be considered to be impoverished.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1971  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:41 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
I'm going to Hamilton this weekend and I'm hoping to take pictures of all the construction projects in the city and I was hoping that you guys could fill me in on some of them that aren't in the database so I don't miss any.
Downtown

Hilton/Condo - Main/Bay
McMaster Campus - Main/Bay
Royal Connaught - lobby restoration
King/Hess condo
James St N/Vine
Main/John - Hamilton Grand
W Lofts - Murray St
City Square - Robinson St
Stinson Lofts

Mountain

St. Joseph's Centre for Mountain Health Services - Fennell
Mohawk College Athletic Centre - Fennell
Hamilton School Board - near Limeridge Mall

And I can't think anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1972  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:32 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
The Pan Am stadium as well but at this point its just a foundation.
__________________
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1973  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:45 AM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Downtown

Hilton/Condo - Main/Bay
McMaster Campus - Main/Bay
Royal Connaught - lobby restoration
King/Hess condo
James St N/Vine
Main/John - Hamilton Grand
W Lofts - Murray St
City Square - Robinson St
Stinson Lofts

Mountain

St. Joseph's Centre for Mountain Health Services - Fennell
Mohawk College Athletic Centre - Fennell
Hamilton School Board - near Limeridge Mall

And I can't think anymore.
Thanks
I made some maps and will put these sites on them. Will be down there tomorrow and should have all these pictures up by next week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1974  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 1:08 PM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
There is poverty in every city, and it's never going to go away. A certain percentage of the population, usually around 20%, will always be considered to be impoverished.
bigguy1231, you describe yourself as a concerned citizen. Clearly, payday loan companies are not a concern to you. So what items of concern are on your list? As a relative newcomer to Hamilton, my list is straightforward.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1975  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:31 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,398
Five (more) things downtown Hamilton needs

More places to live
More shopping for women
A mid-sized concert venue
A hardware store
A facelift

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/07/04/hamilton-downtown-top-five.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1976  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 6:57 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I don't know where you get the idea that these loan places are in such abundance in this city. I did a search for moneymart and they have 9 locations in Hamilton. I also did a search for Edmonton just picking another Canadian city and they have 23 locations with 7 in or near their downtown. We don't have any more here than any other city in the country on a per capita basis. I am sure all of the other payday loan companies are equally well represented in most other Canadian cities as well.
Edmonton is the only large Canadian city I've seen with a worse downtown than Hamilton
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1977  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:04 PM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Edmonton is the only large Canadian city I've seen with a worse downtown than Hamilton
I just picked one city for comparison. Most other larger Canadian cities are similar when it comes to these payday loan places. Where legal they infest the downtowns. But they do pay taxes and provide jobs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1978  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:14 PM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
Bigguy1231, with all due respect you dodge the issue with every reply. I don't get it.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1979  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:19 PM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Bigguy1231, with all due respect you dodge the issue with every reply. I don't get it.
Dodge what issue. I am just pointing out that this isn't a phenomena unique to Hamilton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1980  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 7:38 PM
movingtohamilton movingtohamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 994
With that logic, we should encourage brothels, "gentlemen's clubs", "spas", more bingo halls, etc. to set up on King St near James. They pay taxes and employ people.
__________________
Keep your hands and feet inside the virtual machine at all times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.