Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine
IMO this is a unique opportunity, working in an area that is a blank slate.
|
I can see that for sure. I just don't think the city is actually evaluating the opportunity properly... Look at SEFC, they had an area vision/plan, future road/transit network all planned out before any development there was done at all. The city's not doing that in this area at all - they're pursuing detailed studies of a particular course of action with no transparent and accountable goals or purpose in mind.
If we want to study the area's land use with a 100+ year time line in order to inform development decisions, why not forget about the viaducts for a second and just study the area as if it really was a blank slate? Go through the different options:
-have a bunch of small surface streets
-have a large boulevard/super-road
-have one or two viaducts in various configurations
-any combination of the above
-keep current configuration ("do nothing" option)
evaluate each on the same criteria: development potential (in terms of # of units residential); park space; transportation capacity (vehicles, goods, transit); pedestrian/urban experience & aesthetics; cost.
(In my list of priorities, of course, I would want them to make sure the transportation infrastructure is the very best we can do, with a 1-200 year outlook, and have development opportunities generally conform to that design. I think it's easier and more effective to work individual developments around infrastructure rathe than the other way around - and I also think the quality of the infrastructure is more important and should come before particular development considerations. Needless to say, I don't think a wide, busy surface boulevard is the superior infrastructure choice here - especially when it represents the more expensive option! But that is all IMO

)
It would be great if the city was actually looking at the area as a blank slate... but they're not. They don't have a clear problem statement or a solid understanding of what exactly it is they are trying to achieve here, and they're not looking at the various options on an equal footing.