Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
I purposefully ignored it, hoping someone else would respond.
You take a slow train that goes back toward the west, to get to Union Station. Switch to a circulator (that only runs peak hours, M-F), which drives you back north around downtown, and then south again to the Civic Center area. Making a complete circle around downtown, rather than a connection to an existing line that goes right up the middle of it. To get to Civic Center, adds minimum 30 minutes. To 17th and California - the "center" of downtown, probably 20.
That's why it's a problem. Nobody who is a "choice rider" will do it. I certainly wouldn't, if I was going from the west side to civic center now, I'd drive. There is no parking in Denver that's so expensive it's not worth an hour of my day.
|
Then really that is pretty terrible planning by RTD if no one that is a "choice rider" will use it, because that was how the system was designed to work. Shouldn't there have been some kind of focus group for those that actually used the existing bus routes daily.
There really isn't an easy way to fix this at this point unless you hoof it between Auraria West Station and Colfax/Auraria Station or they setup some kind of shuttle (doubtful). They probably should have setup a shared transfer station, but for whatever reason did not, and is water over the dam at this point (probably has some to do with Auraria owning all of that land south of Colfax between Rio, Shoshone, and the freight rail line and eminent domain implications of that).
So realistically, taking the 16 bus from say Ulysses Station to Civic Center is about an hour on the route map. The LRT from the Taj Mahal to DUS is 40 minutes, and then the circulator will run at 5 minute frequencies, with 5 stations between DUS and the Civic Center (about 2 miles), so lets say a 12 minute trip. That's still faster (57 minutes at most) than taking the 16....anyone know what the trip from the same stations (or there about) on the 16L took? I just am not seeing the extra hour added onto the trip that is being complained about...maybe right now that is the case because the Circulator isn't running (and maybe they should have kept the 16L until it does), but once that is in operation, I still see it as being about a wash unless I am missing something.