HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4141  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 4:33 AM
Wheelingman04's Avatar
Wheelingman04 Wheelingman04 is offline
Pittsburgh rocks!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salem, OH (near Youngstown)
Posts: 8,800
Brian I am so glad you are really enjoying a city that you have such a passion for. I have other cities that I am passionate about too. Those pictures you took showed off some real unique architecture, colors and vibes that some of the local neighborhoods provide, which are very distinctive compared to newer cities that have tons of newer sprawl within their city limits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4142  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 4:37 AM
Wheelingman04's Avatar
Wheelingman04 Wheelingman04 is offline
Pittsburgh rocks!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salem, OH (near Youngstown)
Posts: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
A 180,000 sf building probably requires 10 acres given topography, setbacks, parking and drainage. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 of that land isn't useable because of wetlands and topo issues.
Hills aren't an issue their but the area has had a ton of mining done, especially strip mining but I am not sure about how much long wall mining.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4143  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:27 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Bryce View Post
I'm having a fantastic time during my vacation to Pittsburgh! I've taken lots of pictures trying to show the city off to my friends back home who find my passion for the city a little bizarre Check out my instagram page! instagram.com/nomadbrian



































Here till Saturday afternoon, send me a message if you want to get coffee in any of the core neighborhoods to talk about the urban planning, architecture, or future of the city! I try to keep up on all the master plans for all the neighborhoods and would love to hear your views on what's going down =]

Cheers! Brian Hanrahan


Amazing pics Bryce!! Looks like you are having a great time. What city are you from?? Thanks for contributing to the thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4144  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Nomad Bryce Nomad Bryce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Amazing pics Bryce!! Looks like you are having a great time. What city are you from?? Thanks for contributing to the thread.
I had a fantastic time, and am definitely considering moving to Pittsburgh in the near future! I currently live in Durham NC where I used to work as a researcher at Duke University. I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia and went to Boston University for college. So I'm pretty well spread around the east coast. If I move, it will probably be in two-ish months after I finish my kickstarter campaign.

Brian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4145  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:09 AM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Bryce View Post
I had a fantastic time, and am definitely considering moving to Pittsburgh in the near future! I currently live in Durham NC where I used to work as a researcher at Duke University. I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia and went to Boston University for college. So I'm pretty well spread around the east coast. If I move, it will probably be in two-ish months after I finish my kickstarter campaign.

Brian
I visited Durham for the first time last October.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4146  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:15 AM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Something to think about...

http://triblive.com/aande/adminpage/4192319-74/bank-building-banking#axzz2WBAGGuXV

Quote:
‘Lost’ buildings can’t be replaced


Tribune-Review
The scene on Smallman Street is very workaday today, but local architects and preservationists see a chance, if the Produce Terminal, left, is kept intact, to preserve and enhance a large public space unlike any other in the city. Most other cities don't have spaces like this adjacent to their downtowns.


Rothschild Doyno Collaborative
When preservationists challenge the Buncher Company's plan to raze one-third of the old Produce Terminal in the Strip District, they aren't just trying to save an old brick building. The Terminal is impressive and unusual in its 1500-foot length and helps enclose what could be a dramatic plaza-like entrance to the Strip on Smallman Street, with St. Stanislaus Kostka Church as the focal point at the far end. Architects Rothschild Doyno Collaborative in the Strip proposed leaving a large portion -- a 'tip' -- at one end and suggesting the continuation of the building by exposing some of its steel framework above an opening at 17th Street

...

So, what does the loss of two great neoclassical buildings have to do with the fortunes of a humble, workaday, red-brick fruit-and-vegetable depot in the Strip District? A lot, actually. Because the terminal building helps frame a public space unlike any other in our city. And if the lower third of the building is torn down, as the developer in the Strip wants, that impressive public space will disappear.

The Produce Terminal's extraordinary 1,500-foot length defines this space, with the terminal on the left, other warehouses on the right and the striking St. Stanislaus Kostka church at the end of the view. This is a vista of the kind that you normally see only in Europe, and as improvements are made in the Strip District and the terminal is repurposed to other uses as restaurants and shops, this could become a magnificent public plaza.

Two local architectural firms have advanced schemes to keep the visual impact of the 1,500-foot length of the terminal intact by opening up a passage through part of it rather than tearing a third of it down. This would allow access from 17th Street to the new developments planned between the terminal and the river.

It's a reasonable proposal requiring minimal expenditures for maximum results. Experiences like this space in the Strip, even when familiar on a daily basis, are what great public places are all about.

...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4147  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:24 AM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Bryce View Post
I had a fantastic time, and am definitely considering moving to Pittsburgh in the near future! I currently live in Durham NC where I used to work as a researcher at Duke University. I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia and went to Boston University for college. So I'm pretty well spread around the east coast. If I move, it will probably be in two-ish months after I finish my kickstarter campaign.

Brian
Which suburbs are you from? I currently reside in Downingtown, but I am a Pittsburgh native. However, I must say that I recently applied for a planner position at the City, and I am hoping it will work out. My dad actually knows someone in city politics who supposedly knows Peduto...

I enjoy seeing what is happening both on here and in the press (PG and Trib, etc). I also am rather passionate not just for city planning but for the city of Pittsburgh itself. I grew up watching the closed steel mills come down giving way to large expanses of land waiting for reuse. Now, the city is growing and is making assets out of the land that was once occupied by a large mill. It would be great to come back to my point of origin and be part of its future.

Evergrey, nice post! I guess this is what Peduto sees (or could see) as well?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4148  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:29 AM
Urbana's Avatar
Urbana Urbana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Bryce View Post
I had a fantastic time, and am definitely considering moving to Pittsburgh in the near future! I currently live in Durham NC where I used to work as a researcher at Duke University. I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia and went to Boston University for college. So I'm pretty well spread around the east coast. If I move, it will probably be in two-ish months after I finish my kickstarter campaign.

Brian
Post a link to your campaign, I am sure everyone would love to see what you are working on!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4149  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
JDG JDG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Go BU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Bryce View Post
I had a fantastic time, and am definitely considering moving to Pittsburgh in the near future! I currently live in Durham NC where I used to work as a researcher at Duke University. I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia and went to Boston University for college. So I'm pretty well spread around the east coast. If I move, it will probably be in two-ish months after I finish my kickstarter campaign.

Brian
Brian -- great to see a fellow Terrier on the page. I also graduated from BU before heading to Pittsburgh. What year did you graduate? Best of luck on the Kickstarter campaign!

- John (BU '09)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4150  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:20 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/bl.../village-green-proposes-215-apts-at.html

Quote:
Jun 17, 2013, 12:02pm EDT

Village Green proposes 215 apartments

A sense of scale for a new apartment development at the corner of Baum and Liberty in Bloomfield is coming into focus.

After I first broke in March that suburban Detroit-based Village Green Cos. had the corner property and an adjoining former Goodwill store under agreement, a hearing notice has now been posted on the site detailing what the developer is seeking to build there.

According to the hearing notice on the property, Village Green plans to build a new six-story multi-unit residential structure with 215 apartments, 181 on-site parking spaces and 72 spaces for bike parking.

The plan calls for a special exception and variance for the height of the structure and the area on which it is proposed to be developed. A hearing on the project is scheduled for the Zoning Board of Adjustment on June 27.

As I first reported in March, this looks to be the first Pittsburgh project by Village Green, which owns and manages more than 40,000 apartments in such cities as Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Louis, among others.

...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4151  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:27 PM
markson33's Avatar
markson33 markson33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 303
Village Green's apartments look pretty nice. This should be a nice infill project - and a good use for that corner.

http://www.villagegreen.com/development-construction-renovation
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4152  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:14 PM
popstar popstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
That looks like a perfect development for the corner of Baum and Liberty. I'm hopeful something will move into the dumpy little one-story former auto dealership that sits across the street from it. Seems like only a matter of time but I haven't heard anything for a while... was supposed to be an L.A. Fitness, I think, but that was years ago now that I heard that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4153  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:38 PM
Jonboy1983's Avatar
Jonboy1983 Jonboy1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Village Green's apartments look pretty nice. This should be a nice infill project - and a good use for that corner.

http://www.villagegreen.com/development-construction-renovation
They sure do look nice, and I too believe they would be a perfect fit for the Burgh.

Wasn't there some kind of master plan a little while back for this particular part of the city? I seem to remember seeing some kind of master plan worked out for Liberty/Atkins Ave and Baum involving a lot of European/Victorian architecture. A six story building would look great there!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4154  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:49 PM
Urbana's Avatar
Urbana Urbana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 580
Perusing the Village Green website I have a few immediate concerns. If they are marketing the new building under the "Village Green" name, it will likely be built in the suburban style. All of their more urban style buildings are managed under the "City" brand name. With as many parking stops as are stated in the article I fear we may see a lot on the surface.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4155  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:56 PM
Urbana's Avatar
Urbana Urbana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 580
That being said, between the apartments and the new Hyatt House, the corner of Baum and Liberty will be a very different place soon!

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/loca...ouse-hotel-planned-in-bloomfield-664261/

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4156  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:58 PM
Urbana's Avatar
Urbana Urbana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
They sure do look nice, and I too believe they would be a perfect fit for the Burgh.

Wasn't there some kind of master plan a little while back for this particular part of the city? I seem to remember seeing some kind of master plan worked out for Liberty/Atkins Ave and Baum involving a lot of European/Victorian architecture. A six story building would look great there!

Yes, the study was done by Strada

http://www.stradallc.com/show_project.php?id=89
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4157  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:59 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
I'm not sure the "Keep the Tip" plan really scores much higher from a historical preservation standpoint, but it is definitely distinctive and cool, and I agree we should be looking to do something like that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4158  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 11:05 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Six stories and 215 apartments sounds pretty good for that location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4159  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:09 AM
East Edge's Avatar
East Edge East Edge is offline
World Class City
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not sure the "Keep the Tip" plan really scores much higher from a historical preservation standpoint, but it is definitely distinctive and cool, and I agree we should be looking to do something like that.
I agree...i like both the pfaffmann and doyno plans if some of the building must be razed. Does anyone know what Buncher's response to these concepts have been?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4160  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Former Smithfield Cafe building to be sold:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/bank-tower-set-for-new-owner-692118/

This is a great 1895 commercial building--hopefully the new owners plan to do something nice (maybe another residential conversion?):

https://www.google.com/maps?q=635+Smithf...gyHiiIXF6b37egoQ&cbp=13,342.26,,0,-45.64

The Bank Tower is also being sold, but apparently the new owners aren't planning many changes (which is fine since it is in good shape as is).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.