I remember the W went through a little phase like this. I don't know if anyone else remembers what it was exactly about. But I remember talks about the W possibly being halfway built. Anyone remember this? Well, anyhow that turned out okay.
I remember the W went through a little phase like this. I don't know if anyone else remembers what it was exactly about. But I remember talks about the W possibly being halfway built. Anyone remember this? Well, anyhow that turned out okay.
I think that was due to financial questions about one of the investors during the financial crisis. There was more concern then about the W than there is now for the Marriott.
The South Shore District on E. Riverside Drive, a large apartment and retail project slated to open late summer with over 500 luxury apartments, is being built by Grayco Partners of Houston. The property overlooks the Austin skyline from the south shore of Lady Bird Lake.
As much as I love all of the VMUs all over town I do have to say that it is sad that we are still using pine boards for so much of the construction. Does anyone else think that in 20-40 years this area will just become another rundown ghetto. Or is it more inherent in these kinds of projects to be better maintained? I'm sure when the original development occurred on Riverside decades ago it was considered nice. I wish the development would line the street with good concrete structures creating a beautiful boulevard leading your eyes right to downtown as you come in on the train.
New East Riverside housing wave about to arrive
More than 800 upscale apartment units to open
Posted: 12:00 a.m. Sunday, June 16, 2013
BY GARY DINGES AND SHONDA NOVAK - AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
East Riverside Drive is about to take the next leap forward in its evolution, with the imminent opening of a new wave of development that will add more than 800 upscale apartments to the area, including the first units in Grayco Partners’ South Shore project.
-----
So aside from the crane (in the foreground), how is that not just a perfectly respectable skyline for a small city like Austin? There's a nice variation in height, a fairly even distribution of buildings, maybe a little "gappy" in places, but over-all, a fairly pleasing composition. I wish the shot were a bit wider to include the tall, but not so pretty, Hilton Convention Center hotel, on the right.
So aside from the crane (in the foreground), how is that not just a perfectly respectable skyline for a small city like Austin? There's a nice variation in height, a fairly even distribution of buildings, maybe a little "gappy" in places, but over-all, a fairly pleasing composition. I wish the shot were a bit wider to include the tall, but not so pretty, Hilton Convention Center hotel, on the right.
More than respectable, IMO. Especially for the sunbelt/south. Regardless of city size. Absolutely awesome. That picture is darn near unbelievable to me, having lived in Austin 20+ years.