HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4101  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 8:50 AM
Laniatus Laniatus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Trying to start construction on that one before the residents of Opsal get a chance to complain about their views being blocked?
Every time I drive past opsal I can't help but feel sorry for the suckers buying these "view" homes when there's a giant undeveloped parcel of concrete land right in front of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4102  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:22 AM
mpatricklee mpatricklee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniatus View Post
Every time I drive past opsal I can't help but feel sorry for the suckers buying these "view" homes when there's a giant undeveloped parcel of concrete land right in front of it.
I would give Opsal buyers more credit than that. I would guess that most buyers on the lower floor on the north side are either investors who are not so concerned about the view or residents who know their view might be blocked but are willing to take that chance. The location will still be good, even if the view isn't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4103  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:25 AM
mpatricklee mpatricklee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatricklee View Post
I would give Opsal buyers more credit than that. I would guess that most buyers on the lower floor on the north side are either investors who are not so concerned about the view or residents who know their view might be blocked but are willing to take that chance. The location will still be good, even if the view isn't.
Also, people buying units on the upper floors should still have views because nothing in the neighbourhood is supposed to be taller than Opsal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4104  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 6:35 PM
SnowPro SnowPro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Does anyone know what will they do with the theatre in Wall Centre False Creek? Will there be another company take over the Vancouver Playhouse Theatre?

I heard JJBean will be opened at the corner of W 1st Avenue and Columbia St.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4105  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:17 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPro View Post
Does anyone know what will they do with the theatre in Wall Centre False Creek? Will there be another company take over the Vancouver Playhouse Theatre?

I heard JJBean will be opened at the corner of W 1st Avenue and Columbia St.
Hello SnowPro, welcome to the forum. Here's an article about the proposal that came forward from the Arts Club Theatre Company, Bard on the Beach, and Pacific Theatre. It's from December 2012, so in all likelihood the negotiations are still ongoing.

Quote:
Theatre trio develops proposal for city art space in False Creek condo complex



By Gordon Hoekstra, Vancouver Sun December 4, 2012

Three theatres are working together on a plan they hope will enable them to share a brand-new 44,000-square-foot arts space initially intended for the now-defunct Vancouver Playhouse.

If all goes well, Pacific Theatre, Arts Club Theatre and Bard on the Beach will pay $1 a year for a 10-year lease on the city-owned space in a four-tower False Creek condo development.

The city had to find a new tenant for the space after Vancouver’s Playhouse Theatre shut down last spring when it ran out of money.

The city is saying little about the selection process, but representatives of the theatres say they are determining whether they can share a space meant for one theatre.

They’re also looking into whether they could raise the estimated $8 million to $12 million needed to outfit the concrete shell at 140 First Avenue West being developed by Wall Financial Corp., near the former Olympic Village.

“It’s expensive, and we need to know how we are going to pay for it,” said Frank Nickel, Pacific Theatre’s production and business manager.

The trio have commissioned two feasibility studies on the space and cost challenges. The concept being examined includes a 250-seat studio theatre and five rehearsal halls to accommodate the three groups.

The studies are expected to be complete by January, after which the theatre boards will determine whether their proposal makes sense.

Nickel said the move out of the basement of a church would be a “game-changer” for Pacific Theatre, helping it become a premier, mid-size company.

Arts Club Theatre executive director Howard Jang said there is a lot of work to be done on how three theatres can work in one space.

But if the proposal goes head, he said, he’s excited the theatre would be the first “cultural landmark” in the former Olympic Village area.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Theatre+trio...complex/7651806/story.html#ixzz2VqImNTbn
Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainmen...s+proposal+city+space/7651806/story.html
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4106  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:29 PM
SnowPro SnowPro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Hello SnowPro, welcome to the forum. Here's an article about the proposal that came forward from the Arts Club Theatre Company, Bard on the Beach, and Pacific Theatre. It's from December 2012, so in all likelihood the negotiations are still ongoing.


Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainmen...s+proposal+city+space/7651806/story.html
Thx for the links.

I guess currently they are still negotiating how to share this theatre between these three companies.

I heard the West Tower in WCFC is completing late June/early July. East Tower will start from mid/late July.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4107  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:23 AM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Vancouver Food Cart Fest



The Vancouver Food Cart Festival is back and will be located between the Olympic Village and the Cambie Street bridge (at 215 West 1st Avenue). I'm looking forward to this as it is literally across the street from me.

More info: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/06/food-cart-festival-vancouver-2013/
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4108  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:29 AM
rsxstock rsxstock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 274
^isn't that the dusty industrial site? i like the event but seems like an awkward location. would be nice to have it on the concert site
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4109  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:12 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,723
Cool, close to me to. What I don't understand is why the admission price?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4110  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:56 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Cool, close to me to. What I don't understand is why the admission price?!
I'm guessing it will pay for security/garbage etc... and hopefully to rent chairs/tables. There was no admission when it was at the Waldorf.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4111  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:01 PM
TwoFace's Avatar
TwoFace TwoFace is offline
Dig-it
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 956
Maybe this will catch on and regular restaurants will start charging admission

Personally I think those mobile fast food dispensers are a rip-off, you can get a better lunch at a proper sit down establishment for the same or less money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4112  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:02 PM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
I'm not a big fan of gas / deisel engines running all the time where I'm buying / eating food.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4113  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:06 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,723
Food carts are a great idea but like many things seem to carry the typical Vancouver premium price.

The last few times I've been in portland I liked the permanent parking lots they have with food trucks. Only 50% of them seem to be open at any given time, but the food is good (selection is awesome), prices are good too. The problem is no tables or seating. I don't recall any generators either, I wonder if they get power hookups from the city.

It will be interesting to see if the COV rigs something up for this event (power wise). It would be the green thing to do...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4114  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 4:30 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
I imagine the admission will go towards garbage/bathrooms (at least I hope it does). It would be really great if they could open the fence on the north side so that the site has direct access to the seawall. It's frustrating right now that there is no access to West 1st from Cambie to just west of Columbia.
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4115  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:03 PM
subdude's Avatar
subdude subdude is offline
blog this
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 614
re. food trucks: Stupid hispter fad, but I do have a favourite:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4116  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:14 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,795
The admission is also a easy way to recoup those rental/garbage/porta-potty costs.

For the Alcan Dragon Boat festival, there are food vendors, but they are only allowed to use "Dragon Dollars" which customers have to buy (like beer tickets at a beer garden) (and vendors remit to the festival for payment). That's so the vendors don't skim at the till and misreport their revenues (from which the festival would get a share).

The admission price seems to dispense with the need to track revenues from the vendors (although I'm sure the vendors would also be charged (a flat rate?) to rent a pad for their truck).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4117  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:19 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
re. food trucks: Stupid hispter fad
I was just about to say this! haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4118  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:21 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
I doubt they are paying, it's organized by a food truck association.. I wonder if the City is getting any money out of it or is it a private landowner?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4119  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:10 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Yes, the business people who line up downtown for food trucks certainly look like hipsters....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4120  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 10:06 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Don't ruin the little happiness in their lives by demystifying the myth of food truck customer demographics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:13 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.