Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert
Yes, it is looking more and more likely that the pipeline will be coming to SJ every day. It is also looking more and more likely that a second refinery will be constructed as a result.
This should have a significant impact on the Saint John airport and we could start to see some new direct flights.
|
Well I was reading that the refinery would likely create 5,000 construction jobs and then 1,000 permanent jobs. I think it's reasonable to assume the same # for construction (I'd guess that 1,250 would be in NB? 25%?) for the pipeline. If there is a lot of LNG going on, there may also be a need for another LNG facility or expansion of the one under construction...
So if you do the population growth estimates (assume 1 FTE creates 2-3 FTE spin off jobs in the service sector and that each FTE is between 1.5-3 population growth (families, singles, or couples)) - that's huge! The 1,000 refinery jobs would lead to 2-3,000 service sector jobs, which means 4,500 to 12,000 from a refinery alone. That's a good chunk of growth (without any other economic growth factored in).
I'd love to see YSJ grow to have a 2 storey airport facility with a couple air bridges and a much better taxiway system. I think there is potential there...