Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
But that begs the question - what do we still need?
|
Street cars and more significant development that we can probably support. Something outside of the 5-story apartment projects..
I understand Toronto is larger (2.5mil city / 5.5 metro) but this is happening all over these Canadian cities, even Calgary our apparent sister city (1.2mil city).
So how can these cities support all these tower / much higher density developments? We're kind of stuck with meh. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that Denver has some serious infilling it's doing but I think that we could be doing it better.
Like I sad before, we need cheap condo towers. That would move people in the city. I would love ONE developer to try it. Just to see how it would sell. Keep it in the 150-200k range for good 850-1000 sq foot units. I know that sounds improbable but it would be interesting to see.
Quote:
What's up with all the cranes?
Look up. No, look higher—look way up. If you happen to be downtown, chances are very good that you’re standing in the shadow of a tower crane.
Toronto is in the throes of a construction boom. In fact, with 189 high-rise buildings in the works, we have more towers under construction than both New York City (82 buildings) and Mexico City (88), places that each have over three times Toronto’s population. Rising hundreds of feet from the ground, or perched precariously atop nearly complete skyscrapers, these cranes punctuate our skyline.
...
300: The approximate number of tower cranes in Toronto.
http://www.thegridto.com/city/places/whats-up-with-all-the-cranes/
|
From Ken, who is in Toronto right now:
Under construction in Toronto at the moment:
2 - 70+ floors
3 - 60-69 floors
7 - 50-59 floors
23 - 40-49 floors
37 - 30-39 floors
26 - 20-29 floors
55 - 9-19 floors
Surely Denver can even have a 1/4 of that without saturating the market too heavily.. THAT would give us a reason for more threads in the MW forum