HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3561  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:38 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
So, something like this...but maybe even a tad lighter (I couldn't get it as light as I would like):


Sorry to bring up the idea, and then not be around for the discussion. I was thinking more along the lines of bright solids like:

Not sure I was a fan of the neon lighting. I like your pastel color paint idea though.

I think they could execute this without making it cartoonish. It's all about what colors they place next to each other, and how many storefronts get painted in the same color scheme (I think there should be a lot of alteration).
     
     
  #3562  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:00 PM
swagswagswag33 swagswagswag33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
I don't know if y'all are aware:

http://111southmain.com/
     
     
  #3563  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:09 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagswagswag33 View Post
I don't know if y'all are aware:

http://111southmain.com/
...disappointing. glass. box.
     
     
  #3564  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:14 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Nice find regarding 111, disappointed in the size though but it is more people downtown.

Looking at the renderings, I do like the design as it will be different for the skyline. I do think it would look even better with another 5 or 10 stories though. But I can say that I do like the design and am happy to see the facade and I do hope that when complete, the facade will be close to the renderings.

On another note, fencing has gone up in front of Mo's and the parking lot to the north. This is the spot for the new building on West Temple and roughly 375 South across from the new courthouse building. The parking lot looked like it was torn up a bit as I passed by this morning.

I will try to grab a picture or 2 next time I pass if I can remember to.
     
     
  #3565  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:23 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,639
Isn't that kinda what we expected, though?

I don't mind it. But it'll be entirely in the finished look and not the renderings.



I'm guessing it'll come in at around 384 feet based on the renderings?
     
     
  #3566  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:24 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
...disappointing. glass. box.
I just emailed them and told them the design is super lame and they need to do something other than a box, as SLC has too many of those.

Email them:
http://111southmain.com/contact.html
     
     
  #3567  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:25 PM
H4vok's Avatar
H4vok H4vok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Heber City, UT
Posts: 336
Looks like it does have an accordion effect going on with the façade.





     
     
  #3568  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:26 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
While I don't love the design, I don't hate it either, and while I don't love the height I don't hate that either.

Another 23 stories of office space in the CBD brings that many more people into downtown, creating that much more synergy and demand for office space in the future.

While I want to see a new tallest in SLC, which I think will be the CC Hotel, I have said it many times before, I would rather see 2 more 20-25 story towers than 1 50 story tower, and the reason being is that it creates a larger downtown and creates more street level interaction due to two buildings rather than simply one. While it doesn't take the skyline up, it does make it horizontally more dense.

I do think the design compliments the PAC well though and brings another piece of modern flair to that part of downtown. Afterall, that intersection has three historic and classic buildings on it, now it will add a modern glass building to that commercial corner.
     
     
  #3569  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:26 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagswagswag33 View Post
I don't know if y'all are aware:

http://111southmain.com/
Love it, love it, love it. Finally renderings. Yes it's a box, but check out the wavy windows.

23 stories isn't bad and should make this taller then 222 south main.
     
     
  #3570  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:32 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Isn't that kinda what we expected, though?

I don't mind it. But it'll be entirely in the finished look and not the renderings.



I'm guessing it'll come in at around 384 feet based on the renderings?
If your right at 384 FT would make this tower Salt Lake's 3rd tallest passing 99 West by about ten feet. This is great, Salt Lake needs more towers in the upper 3's to lower 4's.
     
     
  #3571  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:36 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Love it, love it, love it. Finally renderings. Yes it's a box, but check out the wavy windows.

23 stories isn't bad and should make this taller then 222 south main.
Quite a bit taller actually, one additional floor, plus the elevation difference from 111 to 222. It's a 5' difference north to south just along the facade of the PAC. So I'm guessing it's at least a good 15' if not more higher to begin with.

I just calculated to occupancy on 222 and it is at 72% occupancy right. That is pretty impressive to me. Hamilton obviously sees that 222 is going to be full within the next year or two and projects the need for more square office square footage in the very near future.

I'd be curious to know who if any, tenants they have lined up for 111.
     
     
  #3572  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:39 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
222 S Main, 111 S Main, I think we have a trend going here. They wouldn't be able to build a 333 S Main, but they do own the Boston and the Newhouse. Maybe we'll see a 444 S Main in the future.

Hamilton Partners is really making a move to big the biggest office space owner in downtown SLC. Towers include Boston, Newhouse, 222, Broadway Center, and now 111
     
     
  #3573  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:10 PM
downtownslcresident downtownslcresident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 114
can someone insert the new design into a picture of the skyline so we can see how it would look?
     
     
  #3574  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:13 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Love it, love it, love it. Finally renderings. Yes it's a box, but check out the wavy windows.

23 stories isn't bad and should make this taller then 222 south main.
Very much agree Projects. I love it! Yes it's a box, but a very interesting and elegantly flashy one at that. I really like the angleing of the windows. My translation of the pic looking East from 1st So. is that the rendering doesn't quite give the angles enough distinction. I think the actual play on angularity will be far more noticable than the rendering depicts. Also, I really like the openness of the corner street engagement. IMO, this will be a beautiful and unique treatment/statement for Salt Lake City.

I predict that some of you who are little luke warm at the moment, are going to really warm up to this building's unique glass design over the next few weeks.

Last edited by delts145; May 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM.
     
     
  #3575  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:32 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
222 S Main, 111 S Main, I think we have a trend going here. They wouldn't be able to build a 333 S Main, but they do own the Boston and the Newhouse. Maybe we'll see a 444 S Main in the future.

Hamilton Partners is really making a move to big the biggest office space owner in downtown SLC. Towers include Boston, Newhouse, 222, Broadway Center, and now 111
I still remember all those years ago when news broke about Hamilton Partners moving out this way. It was exciting, but I'll be honest - I didn't expect much. I've been pleasantly surprised.
     
     
  #3576  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:36 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I just emailed them and told them the design is super lame and they need to do something other than a box, as SLC has too many of those.

Email them:
http://111southmain.com/contact.html
e-mailing them now. THIS IS AWFUL!!! People seriously have to go to school to learn how to design this —???
     
     
  #3577  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:37 PM
farmerboy's Avatar
farmerboy farmerboy is offline
farmerboy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 307
On the plus side, the street level is engaging, which I think is the most important aspect.
     
     
  #3578  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:44 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I like it. I think the height is good and the design is interesting and different from anything else in SLC currently. Boxy yes, but I think the facade makes up for it, unlike the atrocious new court building.
Interestingly, the conversation over on the sugarhouse thread is about how loud the dissenting minority can be. Maybe those of us who like the design should email Hamilton Partners too, just so they know their continued investment in Salt Lake isn't wasted on dogs who bite the hand that feeds.
     
     
  #3579  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 9:50 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
e-mailing them now. THIS IS AWFUL!!! People seriously have to go to school to learn how to design this —???
And then they will use the "delete" button. So your time well wasted.
     
     
  #3580  
Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:03 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
111

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
can someone insert the new design into a picture of the skyline so we can see how it would look?

I'm sure Comrade will have one up very soon...!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.